SASS Wire Forum

Turnbull AR

Cash Duckett

Anyone seen the new Doug Turnbull AR? I just saw it in the August Guns and Ammo magazine. Beautiful finish, and I really like it. Probably won't ever be able to afford one, who knows? What say the fire?

Cash

I think his next project is that Mossberg lever gun with the picatinny rail.

He should have quit before the fumes got to him.

I have handled one of these. Nice. The wood is smooth, caressable and lends warmth to an otherwise lethal weapon. {ggg}

I bet the action is superb too. Looks heavy though.

GG

I think his next project is that Mossberg lever gun with the picatinny rail.

He should have quit before the fumes got to him.

Amen, Bro...

As a collector of early Colt SP-1 AR's, this is an absurdity for an AR!

I'll stick with my SP-1's, Thank You..

Go for it Cash! Layaway for a distant Christmas!!!

With that wood and casehardened receiver, heck, it has a warm and appealing character to it.

You show up at a shoot and I bet everyone...EVERYONE.....would wanna hold it and tell ya how ugly it was!

Then try to buy it from ya! :lol:

OkD

Howdy,

Mighty generous of him to give a whole year warranty.

Wood on an ar?

That might be an idea?

Best

CR

Howdy Ron

Wood butt stocks and hand guards isn't a new idea for AR's,20-25 years ago their was a co. that specialized in such for AR's.

They used to have a add every month in Shotgun News,saw a fellow that had the set on a rifle for sale at a gun show. The wood wasn't figured like Turnbull's,more straight grained and finished like M1's.

It's all in what one likes,want's,heck that's why they make Chevy's and fords. Adios Sgt.Jake

Only $4,995.00

Jeez, I thought this was about someplace in Arkansas....

Yep, had me tooo J-Bar :lol:

I bet the action is superb too. Looks heavy though.

GG

Action? The action on most AR-15's are equivalent. Triggers differ, but that's about all. If he wanted to put wood on a gun, he should have built a Kalishnakov.

Action? The action on most AR-15's are equivalent. Triggers differ, but that's about all. If he wanted to put wood on a gun, he should have built a Kalishnakov.

Yup - not all AR's are alike. Some work better than others. I have fired several AR's and some are rather clunky and jamamatics...parts scan be smoothed out, chambers polished, spring work, piston geometry, closer tolerances or whatever ....ANY gun can be built better than what the 'standard' platform is.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Amen, Bro...

As a collector of early Colt SP-1 AR's, this is an absurdity for an AR!

I'll stick with my SP-1's, Thank You..

With his time, money, talents, and reputation he can take time to piddle with anything. I would love to see his pickup.

Yup - not all AR's are alike. Some work better than others. I have fired several AR's and some are rather clunky and jamamatics...parts scan be smoothed out, chambers polished, spring work, piston geometry, closer tolerances or whatever ....ANY gun can be built better than what the 'standard' platform is.

Depends on what you've had experience with. If you had an Olympic Arms in your hands, you might be correct.

Other than that, I think you are out of your depth on describing what makes a reliable and accurate AR.

Depends on what you've had experience with. If you had an Olympic Arms in your hands, you might be correct.

Other than that, I think you are out of your depth on describing what makes a reliable and accurate AR.

:rolleyes: I have handled and shot a few different mfg's of AR types...again, anything can be improved upon. Trigger work for sure as you mentioned....but other components too depending on how deep your desires go. Accuracy isn't what I was talking about, barrels can do wonders with that, but generally they are pretty accurate out of the box. I will say I have never handled an AR in 7.62 cal though.

:rolleyes: I have handled and shot a few different mfg's of AR types...again, anything can be improved upon. Trigger work for sure as you mentioned....but other components too depending on how deep your desires go. Accuracy isn't what I was talking about, barrels can do wonders with that, but generally they are pretty accurate out of the box. I will say I have never handled an AR in 7.62 cal though.

Well, at about $1.00 per round for 7.62, it's not something a casual shooter is going to do very often.

My general feeling on AR's is that if it is MilSpec, it's good enough. My most accurate AR was a stock Daniels Defense M4 (only had to change out the springs in the trigger group). My favorite is the Rock Island Elite Operator. You can spend thousands more and not get better groups from anyone less than a practiced professional.

Some have deteriorated in quality over the years because of the Romneyesque buyouts in the shooting industry. Bushmaster comes to mind.

Well, at about $1.00 per round for 7.62, it's not something a casual shooter is going to do very often.

My general feeling on AR's is that if it is MilSpec, it's good enough. My most accurate AR was a stock Daniels Defense M4 (only had to change out the springs in the trigger group). My favorite is the Rock Island Elite Operator. You can spend thousands more and not get better groups from anyone less than a practiced professional.

Some have deteriorated in quality over the years because of the

Romneyesque buyouts in the shooting industry. Bushmaster comes to

mind.

Thanks Manatee ~ hope to meet ya someday ....wish I could have seen ya at Korupt Karl's BP shoot in May.... Wishing you and yours a great 4th of July....

Archived