SASS Wire Forum

Turnbull AR

Cash Duckett

Well, at about $1.00 per round for 7.62, it's not something a casual shooter is going to do very often.

My general feeling on AR's is that if it is MilSpec, it's good enough. My most accurate AR was a stock Daniels Defense M4 (only had to change out the springs in the trigger group). My favorite is the Rock Island Elite Operator. You can spend thousands more and not get better groups from anyone less than a practiced professional.

Some have deteriorated in quality over the years because of the Romneyesque buyouts in the shooting industry. Bushmaster comes to mind.

Again, I totally agree with Manatee...Bushmaster has truly gone to hell since being bought out, just as Marlin has and by the same holding company, Cerebrus(sp?)..Remington, also bought by the same holding company just received the US Military contract for 200,000 M4's , instead of Colt.NO Colt combat rifle or pistol is any longer used by our military(except for older inventories and special purpose weapons)..all general service M4's are made by FN and now Remington.

As Manatee, said, any Mil Spec AR 15 is capable of good enough accuracy for what it was designed to do.A faster twist rate of 1:7 does help with 55 gr 5.56, which is military issue, as does a lighter trigger.Original SP 1 carbines (CARS) were 1:12 and rifles were 1:7.

I have only changed the Mil Spec trigger groups on two of my Colt AR's, one a 6520 Rifle 20" (HBAR Sporter,Preban) with a JARD adjustable trigger. and a Colt 6920 replaced the trigger group with an American Trigger Co. 'Gold Trigger' (comparable to a Timney in all respects,, including price!), one piece modular trigger group..reason being faster reset times( up to 80% faster resets) and 3lb trigger pull

as it is topped with a high power scope that is repeatedly accurate to 600 meters with a 55 gr .223.

Well, at about $1.00 per round for 7.62, it's not something a casual shooter is going to do very often.

My general feeling on AR's is that if it is MilSpec, it's good enough. My most accurate AR was a stock Daniels Defense M4 (only had to change out the springs in the trigger group). My favorite is the Rock Island Elite Operator. You can spend thousands more and not get better groups from anyone less than a practiced professional.

Some have deteriorated in quality over the years because of the Romneyesque buyouts in the shooting industry. Bushmaster comes to mind.

Again, I totally agree with Manatee...Bushmaster has truly gone to hell since being bought out, just as Marlin has and by the same holding company, Cerebrus(sp?)..Remington, also bought by the same holding company just received the US Military contract for 200,000 M4's , instead of Colt.NO Colt combat rifle or pistol is any longer used by our military(except for older inventories and special purpose weapons)..all general service M4's are made by FN and now Remington.

As Manatee, said, any Mil Spec AR 15 is capable of good enough accuracy for what it was designed to do.A faster twist rate of 1:7 does help with 55 gr 5.56, which is military issue, as does a lighter trigger.Original SP 1 carbines (CARS) were 1:12 and rifles were 1:7.

I have only changed the Mil Spec trigger groups on two of my Colt AR's, one a 6520 Rifle 20" (HBAR Sporter,Preban) with a JARD adjustable trigger. and a Colt 6920 replaced the trigger group with an American Trigger Co. 'Gold Trigger' (comparable to a Timney in all respects,, including price!), one piece modular trigger group..reason being faster reset times( up to 90% faster resets) and 3lb trigger pull

as it is topped with a high power scope that is repeatedly accurate to 600 meters with a 55 gr .223. Except for special applications, the stock Colt and mid- high end manufacturers triggers(Colt,Stag Arms,Rock Island,LWRC,Daniel Defense, Les Baer, etc, etc...lots of them) are more than adequate.

Steer clear of Olympic Arms anything.

Archived