SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a safety glasses/goggle combo.

With EOT coming up I need to get this sorted out. I wear contacts and was pretty much miserable throughout EOT last year due to the dust. I had to let some folks go ahead of me and shoot a couple of time because I could barely see. I am looking for a glasses/goggle combo that will keep the dust out. Any suggestions? Also they need to be yellow as thats the only lense I will shoot in. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

Not sure if it will help.

But you might check some motorcycle shops.

They have some things like that.

Goggles and some glasses with padding added on the back to help keep out wind.

Should help keep out dust also.

But don't know if any are safety rated.

What Al said. I have amber/clear, interchangeable lens goggles I wear on the bike in heavy rain. They even have side vents you can open and close, and are quite comfortable. Check some of the MC touring gear websites. Expect to pay around $40-$50 for something decent for all day wear.

I use some from Wiley X. It comes with interchangeable color lenses and has an insert for a pair of prescription glasses that snap on to the nose behind the outer lenses. You can find them at www.opticalplanet.com. I went to my local eyeglasses store and they were able to get them 10% cheaper than anything I could find online.

We used to use a product called "Spoggles" when working in high dust environments in power plants. They are ANSI Z87.1 safety rated, but are comfortable goggle that offered dust protection. I don't wear contact lenses myself, but guys who do wear them reported that they did their job well and were much more comfortable than the old chemical lab splash goggles.

Here's a link to them.

Howdy Deuce,

If there's a company in your area that sells safety equipment see what they have. All the major safety manufacturers (3M, Uvex, AO Safety, etc) offer the type of glasses your looking for. The "Spoogles" type are popular and comfortable. I don't wear contacts, but that has to be miserable.

CBG

Give these a look Deuce ... http://www.safevision.net/prescription-glasses/21-sg-1.html ... they look like they're just what you need.

Wiley-X is a recognized leader in glasses & goggle technology.

I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses from this company a few years ago. Good folks to deal with.

Deuce I've been using Uvex products, with the RX insert for years with good result but they dont have the seal feature you are looking for unfortunately, though its never been a problem.

Know several pards who wear the Wiley X version and they all seem pleased with them. Only downside I've ever seen with them is fogging but in the dry air out in NM that may not be an issue. Oh yeah, I've also seen some really good "racoon eyes" on folks with them as well :rolleyes:

Either way, check out usasafetyglasses.com they have a huge range of options, good prices and quick delivery.

Deuce, try Wiley X. They make a neat set of glasses that are padded and seal around your eyes. The lenzes are replaceable and come in all sorts of colors including amber. They are also available in a goggle style with a very comfortable elastic strap.

One set lasted me nearly 100,000 miles on my motorcycles and took some pretty hard licks without scratching or breaking. Good stuff.

BD

Hi Deuce,

You may want to look at this company http://www.decot.com/cart/shopdisplaycategories.asp. They specialize in making prescription glasses for shooters. Whether or not you buy their product, talking to them about the various options that they offer may help you to decide what you ultimately want. One option that they offer is a medium to short focus (in your prescription) for your dominant eye and long range only (in your prescription)for your other eye. I like their prescription lenses in yellow.

This company has an excellent product and great prices.

Safety glasses/goggles

They also have over prescription safety glasses.

I think this is what you are looking for.

Dust goggles

If you are going to get goggles, make sure that they are anti-fog. I have the Wiley SG-1 glasses/goggles and they are not wearable due to fogging. I cut away a lot of the foam liner to help, but they still fog badly. They might be OK in a different climate like the desert, but not in the high humidity of the southeast US.

Hi Deuce,

I like the Steampunk look and think it fits well with our sport. I found these on Amazon.com. They are very reasonably priced too.

Regards,

Allie Mo

...and if one doesn't like black powder shooters maybe this will help ~ http://www.amazon.com/Elope-Steampunk-Gas-Mask/dp/B005NLBK8W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337012221&sr=8-4

:P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

With EOT coming up I need to get this sorted out. I wear contacts and was pretty much miserable throughout EOT last year due to the dust. I had to let some folks go ahead of me and shoot a couple of time because I could barely see. I am looking for a glasses/goggle combo that will keep the dust out. Any suggestions? Also they need to be yellow as thats the only lense I will shoot in. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

I've bought from these guys before, good prices and fast service.

http://www.sharpesafety.com/catalog/product-display.php3?ID=1042

Lot of good sights listed I've had very good luck with http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ I like the Radian Revolutions, they come in any color you want I have started using the Radian Cheater's Bifocals in the last year or so depends on how much I am moving around. I think the WileyX's are overpriced from the ones the Army issued me compared to the Radians. I've been in the desert and the goggles fogged up there also.

Randall Ruffton

The problems you describe are why I don't wear contacts. Unless you want to wear those goggles the whole time you are outside in a dusty environment, you may be better off getting prescription shooting glasses and leave the contacts in the camper or room.

Archived