SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman Shoots

Come On Christmas

I normally would not go to yearly, regional, or really big shoot. I am cheap and broke keeping up with this hobby.

I might jest have to go to one if they shoot Plainsman. Talk to me about distances and weapons used. This poor boy was a thinking about getting a 45/70 rollin' block this summer or do speedy quick folks shoot 45 Colt out of Handy Rifles? Which would be fun too. My eyesight ain't good enough to shoot out further than 100 yards.

I love shooting at targets 100 yards away then finishing up with pistols and shotguns. I am amazed that this event is not held more often.

Then all I would have to worry about is the folks who would wanna give me a piece of their mind that has me ignored on the SASS wire :-> They would be toting gunz. I know you be out there waiting for a backshooting.

Shameless

Our club is going to put on its' first Plainsmans event next month. None of us have ever shot one so it will be a learning curve for all. Our furthest rifle shot will be under 100 yards.

We have been asking for ideas on set up but our posts were largely ignored also. :(

Wasatch

The plainsman rifle targets at WR were approximately 35 yards away this year. (I designed stages so I know). In past years, they have been closer and farther away. The Plainsman rifle targets at Bordertown are usually about 30yds away.

Plainsman has all but died around WY and CO. I've shot it many times and it was fun. Years ago we shot arrows, threw hawks, knives, lances, took scalps, and shot all the cool BP guns. We had a blast. Then it turned into a regular close range do nothing but shoot guns scenerio and that's when folks just quit. There's one big mouth that writes alot in the CC that I hold responsible for ruining Plainsman. Once a few of us talked about holding a 12 stage Plainsman event, it just never happened. We use to run 4 stages @ our annual matches and it took a while to run everyone thru, dedicate plenty of time, and have extra manpower on hand. Older guys did not like all the running and extra activities, while the younger guys liked everything.

LL' :FlagAm:

Our club is going to put on its' first Plainsmans event next month. None of us have ever shot one so it will be a learning curve for all. Our furthest rifle shot will be under 100 yards.

We have been asking for ideas on set up but our posts were largely ignored also. :(

Wasatch

SW, back to your initial post: Handi-rifles with ejectors are the fastest rifles for the plainsman. Rifle cartridges are quicker to load than handgun cartridges because they are easier to manipulate. Just download them and use the lightest bullets you can find. Joe's distance of 35 yards seems very nice. After taking the time to load a single round I like to have to use my sights.

I really love this side match though I'm not very good since I don't shoot duelist-style very much. I can keep my cap 'n ball revolvers running reliably so I don't finish last. I'm going to shoot it at five matches this year including Watsach Lawman's. A bunch of Utah shooters will surely beat me but I'll enjoy their company while they do it.

Plainsman ended up being a modernized version of the old West. Short barreled handi rifles that open on their own with ejectors are almost impossible to beat. And they don't represent anything from the Old West. And while we shoot SXS shotguns they can be hammerless. Throw in Ruger Old Armies and you have a modern Plainsman side match.

Targets are all about the same. SASS std rifle size targets at 25 to 40 yds.

Out West, we have split Plainsman into two categories to get more shooters. Eastern which is using the guns described above. And Western using only big bore single shot rifles seen in the old west. Sharps, Rolling blocks etc. And no Ruger Old Armies. Even though thats what I normally shoot Frontiersman with.

Ike

There will be a Plainsman Match at Texas State in 3 weeks!

There will be plainsman at the SW Regional

Two Gun

There ya go.

Two for ya.

And you don't even have to leave the Great State Of Texas.

To be truly plainsman the match realy should be shot with muzzle loading rifles and probably shotguns as well. Using center fire rifle and shotguns, begs the question, why cap and ball revolvers. If rifles were restricted Model 66 and Henrys one could argue the SAA had yet to be invented necessitating the use of cap and ball. Even then cartridge conversion revolvers were available.

As currently done, the match has given me an excuse to get a pair of Remingtons and 1860 armies

I've seen Plainsman shooters use handi-rifles, Sharps, Rolling Blocks, Sniders, Hi-walls and trapdoors. All had fun. Unless you are keen on winning, any will do. And you'll need to lock Lefty Eastman in his vehicle to give you a chance :rolleyes:

To be truly plainsman the match realy should be shot with muzzle loading rifles and probably shotguns as well. Using center fire rifle and shotguns, begs the question, why cap and ball revolvers. If rifles were restricted Model 66 and Henrys one could argue the SAA had yet to be invented necessitating the use of cap and ball. Even then cartridge conversion revolvers were available.

As currently done, the match has given me an excuse to get a pair of Remingtons and 1860 armies

Actually I like Cap and Cartridge long arms, I have used Sharps, Smith and Burnside carbines when shooting plainsmen marches.

The SASS Western Regional: The Last Stand at Chimney Rock has a A Plainsman event.

Lotsa fun. Competitors all shot black powder, cap and balls pistolas, SxS splatterguns and some version of a 45-70 single shot. Longest target was about 50 yards. Other rifle targets were ~40 yards. In the past, they have used a further targets.

Pix start here: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/20046692_GhKvZC#!i=1580676231&k=x5wdCM3

I was only the photog, but the guys seemed to be having a hoot.

Comin At Chat, SW Regional will have a Plainsman. We are still working out some of the details, but they are coming along. We are going to have 2 catagories which will hinge on the rifle. Ejectors in one class and Extractors the other. We have been trying to have a practice session at Badland Bar 3 every month. Rifle Target ranges we are looking at will be between 30 - 100 yards but again it is still in work.

Interesting enough I HAVE 4 muzzleloaders & a muzzleloading shotgun. Could I use em at the SW regional? I could bring an extra shotgun for extra targets.

Shameless

We're offering Plainsman as a main match category at the California State Black Powder Shootout next month. Plainsmen have their own rifle targets and their own rifle scenario, averaging 5 or 6 shots per stage. We have some big targets at 90 yards,and smaller ones of varying size and shape closer in. Details are here:

www.robbersroostvigilantes.com

Nasty Newt

I spoke to "Bone Daddy" (I hope he does not mind his new alias) and Clueless Bob yesterday. I got a well "why not?" from the two of them. Bob and I are both gonna shoot muzzleloaders on Sunday next barring anythang unforeseen. I been meaning to go to Clarksville for quite some time, I ain't never bean.

Shameless

The problem with restricting Plainsman to exclude the Handi-Rifles is that it just steps the "advantage" down a notch..

A person shooting a Trapdoor,Rolling Block or Sharps is very nearly as badly off against a High/Low Wall shooter than they are against the Handi Rifles..

I shot a Low Wall in 38-55 initially and it was WAY faster than any of those others... but not quite as fast as the H&R Target Model (also 38-55) I usd later on.. and which was as "Western" looking as one could wish for....

I have NO mechanical skills and so for me the italian Cap and balls held no interest.. I used ROA's because they WORKED.. (and kept on working)..

This thread quickly suggested that there wasn't much Plansman going on.. and yet many folks here seem to want to make it HARDER to participate? No handi rifles.. no Rugers...?

Makes no sense to me....

The Gallatin Valley Regulators at Logan, Montana, put on a modified Plainsman match at a monthly match last year. The shooter could shoot the regular CAS match, or the Plainsman match which was shot at the same time. To attract more shooters, the Plainsman event was modified so that a shooter could shoot BP cartridge revolvers instead of C&B, and, IIRC, smokeless even was allowed. Ten of us shot it, but only three with C&B revolvers. Rifle targets were about 85 yards. I stayed within published rules, but "cheated" by using ROA's and a Handi w/ejector. :lol:

What prizes are anyone walking away with? I leave after the shoot and skip the award ceremonies, anyway.

I would shoot cap n balls and enjoy myself as much or more as the guy shooting Rugers. Rugers are fine guns. Wish I had not sold mine. The cylinders stand up to black powder and don't bind.

So make a couple of Plainsman categories at your range or not. Think about it, did the Cowboys of the old west like having rules? Should you lose to somebody with different equipment so what?

Shameless

Archived