SASS Wire Forum

Lone Ranger Thoughts?

Solo_Sam

And here I thought that Solo Sam was asking for OUR opinions on the movie. It turns out that when we state OUR opinion some folks take it upon themselves to give us their opinion on our opinion. In my opinion, as I stated, some folks take themselves too seriously. Just sayin'.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too early for me to make any judgements on one photograph

Just saw Disney's "John Carter of Mars" and felt it was very well done

As far a the different variations of the Lone Ranger go, I prefer the red shirt and black pants version myself

And here I thought that Solo Sam was asking for OUR opinions on the movie. It turns out that when we state OUR opinion some folks take it upon themselves to give us their opinion on our opinion. In my opinion, as I stated, some folks take themselves too seriously. Just sayin'.

Actually, by the post, he is asking for "thoughts". Which many are from pic ( a picture they say is worth a 1000 words),and some of what has been released about this movie. MT

Depp is a NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN! Read his bio. As for background. When he did the "swishy/drunk/punk/Kieth Richards immitation" in the first 'Pirates' movies, they almost replaced him 30 daYS into the production. BIG fights with Bruckheimer and the creative team. They didnt and the rest is history. $3Billion in revenue...and counting. This is a 'tentpole' movie for Disney. It will appeal to everyone. They aint spending upwards of $350K and have it flop. Give it a break and wait and see. I grew up in Detroit and was there when it aired orignally on WXYZ-TV. MY favorite cowboy show by far. It will be different...and memorable thats for sure

Well said, Broncho!

I really enjoy Depp's work, and look forward to this movie. :)

I Am Crow

I always liked Steve Martin's song lyric "Criticize things you don't know about..." Johnny Depp's Native American ancestry has already been addressed silencing the politically correct. As far as his costume...it's fantastic. Go to the Library...it's a place with alot of books... and look at a copy of "Mystic Warriors of the Plains" by Thomas E. Mails. Turn to the chapter...yes, a whole chapter...on "Hair Styles, Jewelry, And Headdresses". Or, just go to page 367 for the illustration "Crow warrior, Long Otter, wearing complete eagle on head", page 368 "Sioux warrior, Spotted Eagle, wearing bound eagle on head, 1876", or page 534 fig. a "Indian mounting from right side of horse" (showing complete crow on head). You can also see this historical headress in the modern art of Kirby Sattler...www.sattlerartprints.com. In fact, if you look at this web site, it is clear that Johnny Depp looks exactly like the work "I am Crow" by Kirby Sattler...click on the link above.

I've kept silent on this thread until now, just to see where it went. I've seen, and now I'll jump in.

I don't care for Depp. I don't know any of the other guys in this movie. Though I would prefer to see a "real" Indian in the part, I'm not going to let that bother me. I don't particularly care if the story is being told from Tonto's point of view.

What bothers me about this production is the concept of Tonto being the "brains" of the two, and The Ranger being the moronic sidekick! This might have worked for "Green Hornet", but we here didn't grow up watching him. We grew up looking up to The Lone Ranger. For this treatment to be given to one of our heros is unforgivable.

If this is what we can expect from Depp and Hollywierd, I don't care if they EVER make another Western.

I haven't read much about the intent behind the Ranger/Tonto relationship, other than hearing Depp say that Tonto is the "brains" of the outfit.

The recent Dynamite comic series did something similar by letting Tonto provide guidance and mentorship for the first few issues. Their version of Tonto was very pragmatic and a little ruthless. Later in the story, it becomes apparent that the Ranger's moral code is superior to Tonto's and at that point the student becomes the master.

I am hoping to see something similar here. I won't mind it if they have a Luke / Yoda type of relationship. What I don't want to see is the Ranger being a Dudley Do-Right type of buffoon... I keep getting this image of the Far Side comic where the Ranger finds out what "Kemosabe" means.

-Solo Sam

Keep seeing references to Crow, Sioux, etc. Indians wearing birds on the heads. Fine, but unless Johnny Depp is going to completely change the Legend, as has been envisioned and written for over 70 years, even if he is a Native American. Tonto did not come from the tribes mentioned.

Depp is a good actor, yes, but he also has an ego. To many TV shows made into movies have failed because of this, the egoes of the actors, or directors who think they can improve upon a formula. Green Hornet is a recent disaster.

Its the Lone Ranger movie, not Tonto. In the TV series, Tonto was always treated by the Ranger as an equal.

I'll reserve judgement, but if its the same when it comes out, I'll pass and wait till the DVD comes out in the bargin bin. MT

I've kept silent on this thread until now, just to see where it went. I've seen, and now I'll jump in.

I don't care for Depp. I don't know any of the other guys in this movie. Though I would prefer to see a "real" Indian in the part, I'm not going to let that bother me. I don't particularly care if the story is being told from Tonto's point of view.

What bothers me about this production is the concept of Tonto being the "brains" of the two, and The Ranger being the moronic sidekick! This might have worked for "Green Hornet", but we here didn't grow up watching him. We grew up looking up to The Lone Ranger. For this treatment to be given to one of our heros is unforgivable.

If this is what we can expect from Depp and Hollywierd, I don't care if they EVER make another Western.

Hi C.J.,

Just because Tonto is the "brains," doesn't mean The Ranger will play a "moronic sidekick." :unsure: As others have posted, Ranger treated Tonto with respect, not like a "moronic sidekick."

Did you read that "moronic" part somewhere? If so, please provide a link as I missed it.

Regards,

A.M.

Hi C.J.,

Just because Tonto is the "brains," doesn't mean The Ranger will play a "moronic sidekick." :unsure: As others have posted, Ranger treated Tonto with respect, not like a "moronic sidekick."

Did you read that "moronic" part somewhere? If so, please provide a link as I missed it.

Regards,

A.M.

Allie, I hope I'm wrong.

There have been a couple of previous threads on this movie over the last few months. That was the impression I got from reading them. There were discussions referring to Depp talking about the production that inferred as much.

I would be happy to be wrong. I just don't hold out much hope that I am. If the final movie proves that I am, I will gladly admit it.

Depp is a NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN! Read his bio. As for background. When he did the "swishy/drunk/punk/Kieth Richards immitation" in the first 'Pirates' movies, they almost replaced him 30 daYS into the production. BIG fights with Bruckheimer and the creative team. They didnt and the rest is history. $3Billion in revenue...and counting. This is a 'tentpole' movie for Disney. It will appeal to everyone. They aint spending upwards of $350K and have it flop. Give it a break and wait and see. I grew up in Detroit and was there when it aired orignally on WXYZ-TV. MY favorite cowboy show by far. It will be different...and memorable thats for sure

No - he is part native-american and very little at that - he was quoted as saying "I guess I have some Native American somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek" ...so the part isn't so much as one might beleive.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Allie, I hope I'm wrong.

There have been a couple of previous threads on this movie over the last few months. That was the impression I got from reading them. There were discussions referring to Depp talking about the production that inferred they implied, you inferred ;) as much.

Well there it is. I would take what is posted on the Wire with "a grain of salt," unless they post links

I would be happy to be wrong. I just don't hold out much hope that I am. If the final movie proves that I am, I will gladly admit it.

Johnny Depps costuming makes more sense now after reading this. Its Tonto's, Johnny Depp, movie, not the Lone Ranger. Clarifying that after reading a few blogs and info makes it clearer and what direction its going. As Depp says, the Ranger will be his sidekick. My only thought on Depps comment, I always thought, and Clayton Moore made it clear that he would, and did treat Tonto with respect, it was the bad guys that disrespected Tonto. Even Jay Silverheel made comments that he thought he was treated with respected scripts, and many times the Ranger in episodes would ask him for opinions, etc. MT

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lone%20ranger&source=web&cd=15&ved=0CKoBEBYwDg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-31749_162-57394118-10391698%2Fthe-lone-ranger-remake-thrusts-tonto-into-the-spotlight%2F&ei=xKdbT7_xG8OatwerpOnYCQ&usg=AFQjCNHcA34ixQUO57jbrlrBQ9-F9xiz-Q

After reading Depp's quote" on eliminating the uglyness in which the native americans were treated in the original Lone Ranger.I"m not sure he has seen any episodes...Clayton and Jay were best pards in every episode I 've ever seen....Now Y'all know where this is going.........Maybe there will be some anti-gun underlying messages for your movie enjoyment experience HAR! HAR! HAR!

No - he is part native-american and very little at that - he was quoted as saying "I guess I have some Native American somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek" ...so the part isn't so much as one might beleive.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That's Great!!!I was waiting for someone to come out with that...Everyone tries to claim they're part something or related to Davy Crocett...Maybe depp is partly responsible for creating the Internet....HAR! HAR!

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

If you have ever received a letter from Oklahoma... you may be Cherokee :D

I hope they tell the joke about the missing tent too ;)

One can only imagine the zits that would come with wearing so much grease paint all of the time!!

A Brandon Lee DVD tucked in his headband might be cooler B)

A new take on a classic character is fine enough. But if you take Depp's work on the "Pirates" franchise along with statements made by Bruckheimer that "Tonto was the real brains of the pair", you have to conclude that Depp's is going to play this for the comedy and not the story we all grew up on. And I have to conclude that Depp's will most certainly be mocking those attributes about the Lone Ranger that we cherish so much. That leads me to believe that the Lone Ranger will be portrayed as a dullard or a clod in a white hat and Tonto will be the "real" hero. As much as I want to see Hollywood make more and more westerns, I don't want my heoes trashed in the process. So I'll be taking a pass of this one.

• 9 months later...

I do love threads about movies nobody has seen. They're hilarious. :lol: :lol:

I Am Crow

I always liked Steve Martin's song lyric "Criticize things you don't know about..." Johnny Depp's Native American ancestry has already been addressed silencing the politically correct. As far as his costume...it's fantastic. Go to the Library...it's a place with alot of books... and look at a copy of "Mystic Warriors of the Plains" by Thomas E. Mails. Turn to the chapter...yes, a whole chapter...on "Hair Styles, Jewelry, And Headdresses". Or, just go to page 367 for the illustration "Crow warrior, Long Otter, wearing complete eagle on head", page 368 "Sioux warrior, Spotted Eagle, wearing bound eagle on head, 1876", or page 534 fig. a "Indian mounting from right side of horse" (showing complete crow on head). You can also see this historical headress in the modern art of Kirby Sattler...www.sattlerartprints.com. In fact, if you look at this web site, it is clear that Johnny Depp looks exactly like the work "I am Crow" by Kirby Sattler...click on the link above.

Calvin has it exactly correct. I read an interview with Depp a number of months ago adn Sattler's painting was the muse for Depp's Tonto.

From what I've read, I think many will be surprised on the nature of the Lone Ranger. I won't spoil it here, but if you're interested, there is more to learn and it will surprise a number of the TV series fans.

Overall, this is probably going to be as great a character as Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow.

I saw a few trailers in the theater. Can't wait to see the movie.

Calvin has it exactly correct. I read an interview with Depp a number of months ago adn Sattler's painting was the muse for Depp's Tonto.

From what I've read, I think many will be surprised on the nature of the Lone Ranger. I won't spoil it here, but if you're interested, there is more to learn and it will surprise a number of the TV series fans.

Overall, this is probably going to be as great a character as Depp's Capt. Jack Sparrow.

I saw a few trailers in the theater. Can't wait to see the movie.

Dang. I agree with Manatee. :huh:

That trailer there looks pretty good.

And remember. They are not making this movie for us old farts that watched LR as kids.

Most don't even go to movies and spend money. And those that do there just are not enough of.

They made it for the younger folks that have only heard of (maybe) a show called Lone Ranger.

It has to appeal to them.

But I will be going to see it as soon as it comes out. And NO. I really did not watch much LR shows as

a kid.

So looking forward to this.

The picture is pretty interesting, because it shows an unconventional duo of the LR and Tonto. Sorry, ever since I learned Spanish, that name has seemed weird to me.

Anyway, Depp's Tonto character looked neither "skeptical" nor "comedic," as the caption states, but maybe that was code for a sneak peak at the script. But, it's hard to know, right now, where this movie will go. Depp could either take it seriously or not and we've seen him do both.

The LR character appears gaunt (maybe even sickly) appearance that makes him look like he's recovering from something. Certainly not the well-fed Clayton Moore look we remember. He has a trail-worn look about him in that photo and it looks like it might work, wherever the movie goes

My guess is that the Depp's Tonto will not maintain that "vision quest" head dress and face paint throughout the movie and that it serves a purpose during one scene or a sequence. One reason I say that is because the reality (in this day of "reality" westerns) of trying to maintain all that costuming on the trail would be pretty tough.

I'd like to see the movie. It might be fun. And, we have to remember that the entire concept of the Lone Ranger and Tonto comes from a radio show (essentially a dime novel) and comic books. So, if the movie stays true to that genre, like Tarantino's Kill Bill movies did, maybe we shouldn't expect any more than that?? It wouldn't stop it from being entertaining, but it might prevent us from taking it as seriously, as we did the Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels renditions of the pair.

From the trailers and news about the film I know Disney selected some gorgeous locations around the Southwest for locations. Old steam trains are featured in action scenes - something too expensive for the old B&W TV series. I'll enter the theatre using free tickets I got as a gift so if I'm not pleased I won't feel robbed. I expect a good film.

I do love threads about movies nobody has seen. They're hilarious. :lol:/>/> :lol:/>/>

In the past, Hollywood remaking of movies, and TV shows has been disastrous. Sometimes just using the title to try to sell a movie, and moving completely from the original concept. I can understand, and have no problem with trying to be more realistic with costuming, firearms, and props.

I do have a problem with Hollywood and actors that change the outline of who and what the Lone Ranger and Tonto were. The Legend has been around for over 70 years, and did go into changes in the radio series until it all came together, above all, on radio, movie serial, TV, and comic books, including a long lasting comic book devoted to just Tonto, Tonto was always treated as an equal to the Lone Ranger. Tonto was never a Crow, from radio on his tribe was either Apache, or Arapaho, several radio episodes, serial, and comic books mentioned this.

Johnny Depp has stated he wanted changes, and his interpretation of Tonto. Fine! But the headdress, etc. will take away over 70 years of the Legend.

As to the trailers, what it shows, I'm not impressed. The "Legend" as I grew up with,reading, listening, and watching is not what I want to see destroyed by Johnny Depps ego. MT

I just watched 20 episodes of the original LR, pretty hokey but I enjoyed every minute of it. The plots were well written. The LR sure had a great aim with those SAA's without FRONTSIGHTS!!!! LOL

I'll watch the new LR and I reserve my judgement for AFTER the flick!

:) Rye

Legend???

It was a goofy TV show with a dude dressed up in a powder blue suit. :wacko:/>/> :blink:/>/>

As to Legend, I'm referring to the radio, books, movie serial also, all which maintained the Legend and origin. Not just the TV show.

Again, as the post asks, "thoughts", and I'm giving my "thoughts" on how I feel. Also it seems its more "Johnny Depp" then the "Lone Ranger". Maybe if they called it "Tonto", I would have a different view and "thoughts". MT

Funny how we attribute JDepp's right to portray a Native due to his being "part" Native. Is that really required? Does that really make it OK? Like Chris Rock has some kind of 'right' to tell MF**in' N**** jokes because he's black. Like Carlos Mencia has a 'right' to tell lazy beaner jokes because he's Hispanic. Like Jeff Foxworthy can tell stupid cracker, redneck jokes because he's white.

IF you laugh at any or all of those, but call me a rascist when my Italian/Texan sense of humor tells the same jokes then who is the rascist?

I'm a Native American. I was born here no differently than was Russell Means. Rightly he would be a FIrst American or an Indigenous People or a Native or even Indian. Don't diminish the rest of America by assigning some right due to ancestry. That's not the American or the Cowboy Way.

I think that the trailer looks pretty good. From the trailer, it doesn't look like either character will be just a comic sidekick.

And since when is The Lone Ranger hallowed ground that can't be reinvented anyways? It was a kid's radio show in the 30's that became a hokie TV show in the 50's. Time for another makeover Kemosahbee.

Archived