SASS Wire Forum

For those who attend the Florida State Championship

Zack McGee, SASS #46908

While shooting at Eustis this weekend a friend from New York was asking what the chances were of moving the match to February. I suggested she post it on the wire and see what people think from around the country who attend the match. I have not seen her post, so I'll ask.

For me personally I would like it moved. Right now it is too close to the year end processing where I work. If St. Augustine gets the match again, maybe 01/31/13 - 02/03/13 or 02/7/13 - 02/10/13.

Your thoughts?

I missed it this year but plan to go next year. If you move it into February won't it be pretty close to Winter Range?

Yes, so maybe just later in January. Just trying to get feedback. Of course the people with the most say so will be those putting on the match.

I think that if it moved to February you would end up losing some shooters to Winter Range but not many. However in return it is also hard for a lot of shooters to make it so close to the beginning of the year. So it is probably a catch 22. You would end up losing some and picking up others.

Me personally it would be a little easier if it was moved back. Trying to save money for the match along with the holidays it makes December a pretty tight finical month. But it is a great match and I will attend which ever month it moves to.

One of the things to keep in mind is the school schedule for both grade school and college. Most of the colleges are out from just before Christmas and restart the last full week of January. You may lose some shooters if you move it to February. It won't affect the grade schools that much because they usually only get the week between Christmas and New Years. We had to wait until 2007 when both our kids were out of grade school before we could attend. Haven't missed one since and it's the only match we drive more than 100 miles to attend and stay overnight. Since we come from up North so the weather will always be better than what we've got at home, as long as you don't move it to July/August!

We had a great time this year and, if our vote counted, we would love to see the St. Augustine club get the match again. They had a really nice venue, and I think the range operators (Copenhagen and Lil Miss) did a fantastic job and I am sure they learned a lot about putting on a big match this year that will help them next year if they get it again.

We've gotten used to the current schedule and have already built it into our schedule for next year. Would we come down if the match was held in February? Assuming we could make the adjustments to our schedule, certainly. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Dogmeat Dad

I was at the last stand this year, and yes there were lots of visitors there, along with the media. I had the priviledge of talking with a bunch of folk, usually started off by saying..."yu shure are dressed funny", or "dint yu git the memo on dressing today",,, always brings a smile and breaks the ice,,,then I git tu du my speel on CAS...

One thing we mite do next year, have a bay set up to show spectators what's going on....and MAYBE let them try it thaysef.

Sure way to get someone to swaller the bait. ;)

wish I had a copy of the paper thit had my pic in it,,,,see ...dressun fancy does have its' perks... :P

cheyenne B)

I say move it to August, that way it's not too cold. :o Just kiddin. It doesn't matter to me when it is, I'll still go. No matter what the month, it's in Florida and the weather will be iffy (from hour to hour).

It sure was alot of fun shooting with you on Saturday.........I'm NEVER going to shoot after you again however. B)

Sun

It sure was alot of fun shooting with you on Saturday.........I'm NEVER going to shoot after you again however. B)

Sun

Yea I tend to inspire lots of shooters...inspire them to shoot on another posse. :lol:

I vote to keep the venue in St. Augustine. I also like both Culpepper's idea and I support a later date in January Marauder's idea of taking advantage of mlk day will help. Whatever happens "Ennah Tizzy", "Major Mishap" and perhaps the boys "Kilt Nobody"(with our new granddaugter) and "Squib Hindenburg" might show up.

It's best I take the family as I don't have many friends.

SUN, YOU WATCHED ZACK!!

We'll support whatever is needed for whatever it's called and whenever it is.

Major Mishap

The date of the shoot doesn't really matter.....great shoot regardless.....I will always try to make it. It appeared the date this year worked as they did sell out with 300 shooters. Just my too scents.

KK

Hi fellow cowboys and Girls

I being a snow bird would vote to do it after the first of the year as i am just getting here about that time. We snow birds would like to wait till after new years as we get settled in and can start to go and shoot.

Connecticut Yankee

Anytime in January. February effects students, Winter Range attendees, folks stuck in February snows.

Sell out matches says it all.

DON'T MESS WITH A FORMULA THAT WORKS

Lets see.........for years it has been Christmas......the next week New Years.......then the next week Florida State Championship.

That's how I like my holidays......change it now........Bah Humbug!!!

That's like moving the fouth of July to August

Wyatt

So far I think the biggest reason for leaving it where it is, is the school break allowing families to attend.

Second, would be the spectators. St. Augustine is a big tourist area especially around the Christmas/New Years holiday and that no doubt brought a lot of those visitors around. That's good for SASS and Copenhagens range.

Third, the match has been that weekend since I've been there, so it is well established and successful.

Being so close the New Years does put a burden on people coming from further away, like New England and the upper midwest but they sure came down in droves this year. If I'm not mistaken, there were more shooters from outside of Florida than from Florida. I think the new location had a lot to do with that.

Thanks to all for the input.

How does being after New Years burden people from the Northeast?? I come down from NY. Moving it from Orlando cost me more $$, not because it is after New Years. But no burdan. Just had to save more money if I wanted to attend. Leave it where it is and just ask for $$ instead of gifts for Christmas!! :lol:

I would remind everybody that we got EXTREMELY lucky in the weather departement this year. AND, St. Augustine is in the "northern" part of the state and it does get colder there than in Orlando.

Moving it to February will increase the likely-hood of having a match in sub-freezing weather. I personally don't like shooting when I can't feel my fingers.

My history of the Florida State Championship goes back to the late 90's.

When it was held in Titusville, it was held in January. When it first moved to Orlando, it was held in October.

In an effort to increase attendance, it was moved back to January (still in Orlando). It worked and worked well. The dates combined with an awesome match team, resulted in match sell outs the last few years. You cannot get better than a sell out! I don't understand the reasoning behind changing something that is not broke?

If you have a system that is working, you can not experiment without the possibility of lowering the attendance.

Roo

When it was held in Titusville, it was held in January. When it first moved to Orlando, it was held in October.

In an effort to increase attendance, it was moved back to January (still in Orlando). It worked and worked well. The dates combined with an awesome match team, resulted in match sell outs the last few years. You cannot get better than a sell out! I don't understand the reasoning behind changing something that is not broke?

If you have a system that is working, you can not experiment without the possibility of lowering the attendance.

Roo

Hey Roo, I am just another shooter. I have nothing to do with the match. Someone asked me if I knew anything about the dates and if they could be changed. I said it sounded like a good question to put on the wire. Please don't take this thread as anythng but an informal survey. Personally I don't care, I live 50 miles from the range. I like it where it is and the date is fine too.

Roo

It's hard to argue with this logic. I had a great time at the match and plan to attend next year whenever it is, but all I keep hearing is how this was the best match ever. If so, why mess with a formula that works. If it ain't broke...

Hey Roo, I am just another shooter. I have nothing to do with the match. Someone asked me if I knew anything about the dates and if they could be changed. I said it sounded like a good question to put on the wire. Please don't take this thread as anythng but an informal survey. Personally I don't care, I live 50 miles from the range. I like it where it is and the date is fine too.

Zack,

Certainly no offense taken.

I was responding in general as well but there seems like someone is always unhappy about something. Then they post it on the wire expecting everyone to change what works, for them.

I understand that you were the messenger and we don't ever shoot the messenger! I would pass it on that the time to make changes is when something needs to be improved or there is a problem. At this point, I do not see a need.

Roo

Of course, no dates will be perfect for everyone, so it will be a compromise.

The change has already been decided - it won't be in Orlando. Moving 100 miles north will slighly increase the chance for colder (and maybe wetter) weather as Dan has pointed out.

The average temperature difference is only a couple of degrees difference comparing the two locations, but when it gets colder and wetter, a few degrees can make a big difference.

I thought a week or so later would slightly help the temperature difference and i always wondered why they did not take advantage of the holiday (Martin Luther King Day).

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

Goldcoast has there annual match in February, and other regular matches should be considered before changing the date. Also, until we know who will be the host let's leave the date and location until further information. Everyone can appreciates the input on the wire; however, a little head of ourselves on the when and where.

Chance

Being a somewhat new shooter TLS was my first big shoot and had a blast. This years date worked out great because we combined it with the Orange Bowl (Go Mountaineers)and St Augustine is a fun town with lots to do for the shooter and nonshooter alike. So I'll be there no mater when it is.

Goldcoast has there annual match in February, and other regular matches should be considered before changing the date. Also, until we know who will be the host let's leave the date and location until further information. Everyone can appreciates the input on the wire; however, a little head of ourselves on the when and where.

Chance

Who makes the decision where the match will be held?

Who makes the decision where the match will be held?

I don't know. I would imagine whomever gets the match will decide that and that decision comes down in April I believe. Maybe they'll read this post, maybe not. But we should all know something by late April.

Of course, no dates will be perfect for everyone, so it will be a compromise.

I thought a week or so later would slightly help the temperature difference and i always wondered why they did not take advantage of the holiday (Martin Luther King Day).

There is a Federal holiday in February known as President's Day. Also, a lot of us here in Illinois also get Lincoln's Birthday off too. It works out for some of us that we have back to back Mondays off in the middle of February.

Archived