SASS Wire Forum

Pet Peeves

Howdy,

I went to the local discount store this past weekend, Labor Day, to buy some supplies. They had Christmas Decorations On Display! Are They Kidding! Summer doesn't even end for a couple of more weeks.

I wish the folks that ran these stores would LEARN TO READ A CALENDAR!

Dogmeat Dad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean, but, and there is always a but, logistics move slowly in a big box store.

That means that the little store also has to follow suit to be competitive. So you get Christmas in September.

Personally, I think Christmas is not in a store at any time of year. It is in the hearts of

men and women. But then the dollars would not flow to assuage the feelings of guilt covering the other 364 days of the year. JMO. YMMV.

BMC,

I understand what your saying, and I agree about Christmas and the real spirit of the holiday. I do find it ironic, however, that in this fast paced, buy it on the internet, have it delivered in two days, world we live in, that the solution the retail outlets have come up with is to get you to make a purchase 3-4 months in advance, regardless of the holiday involved. In my house, if I bought it now, it would be lost in the chaos long before Christmas got here and I would have to buy it again. Hey, maybe that's their evil plan!

I guess I will go out next weekend and see if I can get a deal on some Valentines Day candy!

Dogmeat Dad

Non-SASS, darn! :rolleyes:

Costco has had them for a while already, even before Labor Day.

Whenever I hear someone say, "these ones" or "those ones" I want to gag. I wish I could think of a tactful way to help them with their grammar. Alas, I keep quiet and they continue to sound illiterate. :unsure:

I hear "added bonus" a lot on HGTV. If it's a bonus, you don't need to say added. :rolleyes:

Products getting "new and improved" that become smaller and/or cost more for less.

Don't make me open my peeves box. I have locked it securely for the fall season. I was in danger of being overwhelmed.

lol

I don't keep peeves as pets anymore. Kinda like cats, they only come around when they want to annoy ya!

P.S. They also breed like rabbits!

Bodine

Non-SASS, darn! :rolleyes:

Costco has had them for a while already, even before Labor Day.

Whenever I hear someone say, "these ones" or "those ones" I want to gag. I wish I could think of a tactful way to help them with their grammar. Alas, I keep quiet and they continue to sound illiterate. :unsure:

I hear "added bonus" a lot on HGTV. If it's a bonus, you don't need to say added. :rolleyes:

Products getting "new and improved" that become smaller and/or cost more for less.

The fellow did not say who it was improved for. If it is smaller and cost more, the seller must think

he/she is correct.

Don't make me open my peeves box. I have locked it securely for the fall season. I was in danger of being overwhelmed.

lol

You, sir, are a light weight. Step boldly into the breach and open that box!

Sorry Big Jake...

The phrase "just sayin" annoys the heck out of me.

Oops! Guilty here. I've also been known to say "my bad" instead of "mea culpa."

Hope we can still be friends. ;):wub:

I don't keep peeves as pets anymore. Kinda like cats, they only come around when they want to annoy ya!

P.S. They also breed like rabbits!

Bodine

Ah, excuuuuuse me. You are "treading on thin ice" with the cat comments! :angry:;)

My kids like ta say "its been a minute" in place of back in the day"

doesnt bother me yet though .... and when my kids first heard " My Bad"

I guess they said it so fast the didnt know fer shure what was said

cause they was sayin "my bat" lol

if i say back in the day ... they say yea in the stone ages ... lol

And "mea culpa" lol Miss Mo ... too funny

far as petting some peeves .... the thing that gets me irratated the most is procrastination,

when I tell my kids take out the trash or do this chore or that one and they say

"ok just i minute and i will" .... then hours later .... And i have to repeat myself .....

Well that: just Burns my Biscut ...... tweaks my Mellon ... Crumbles my Cookie

Our company has already gotten its Christmas cards in last week :rolleyes: ...well, at least we still call it Christmas around here...;)

regarding pet peeves: I was taught when one says 'thank you' you respond with 'you're welcome'....here in Michigan when one says 'thank you' the response is....'not a problem'...???...geez, was it a problem in the first place :lol:

BTW: George Carlin was able to tackle pet peeves better than anyone :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

At places like Grocery Outlet upon checking out, you get handed your receipt with a "Thank you, Mr. Lovell. You saved $9.26!" I've started saying, "So, I saved $9.26 over what? What is your base line for the comparison?" Not that they don't have some darned good prices, some are fantastic, but comparisons without a reference are useless.

At places like Grocery Outlet upon checking out, you get handed your receipt with a "Thank you, Mr. Lovell. You saved $9.26!" I've started saying, "So, I saved $9.26 over what? What is your base line for the comparison?" Not that they don't have some darned good prices, some are fantastic, but comparisons without a reference are useless.

If you presented a customer loyalty card then they are quoting the savings over what someone with out one would have paid. Will also include any coupons. That's the way it work at the grocery store my boy used to work at anyway.

Sorry Big Jake...

The phrase "just sayin" annoys the heck out of me.

+1

And I can't really say why; it just does.

following the city bus on the way to work every day and having it stop EVERY SINGLE STINKING BLOCK. If you can see one bus stop from the next bus stop then freaking walk! :angry:

And when the heck did pajama pants become something you wore outside the house? :angry::angry:

And why the heck does my daughter (18 yo and senior in highschool) need a permission slip signed by someone at the school to allow her to have a part time job??!!! :angry::angry::angry:

WHEW....got that out. I feel better now.

For me it is the modern almost ubiquitous use of 'decimate' to mean "reduce greatly".

If you know your history the word referred to a punishment in the ancient roman legion where one man in 10 would be chosen by lot and then killed by the remaining 9.... and reduction in strength of said unit by 10% is not the way the word is used today... :angry:

Note: this is a pedant's pet peeve and in most cases I am very comfortable with the way word meaning and usage changes over time but for some unknown reason it does bug me :rolleyes:

Sorry Allie, but we get too many unwanted animals dumped in our country neighborhood. Feral cats are a huge problem for our local wildlife and for us that live out here as well. City folks come down to the lake for the weekend and leave their unwanted critters behind. I'll stop there, you really don't wanna know any more. :(

I guess that dumping animals qualifies as a peeve, but I don't keep it as a pet. ;)

Bodine

If you presented a customer loyalty card then they are quoting the savings over what someone with out one would have paid. Will also include any coupons. That's the way it work at the grocery store my boy used to work at anyway.

Nope. No cards or coupons.

Grocery Outlet was started just after WWII buy a guy who bought up a lot of govt. surplus food and sold it cheap. It expanded to buying overruns, over stocks and the like at discounts and passing them on. A few things, basics like milk, eggs, produce, bread, and the like are at maybe Wal-Mart prices - not bad but not spectacular. But a few months ago I bought a gallon jug of Star Olive Oil for 5 bucks when that wouldn't buy a pint at most places. A few months before that I found 4 oz blocks of Maytag Bleu Cheese for a buck and a half. Three pound bags of salami ends are a staple at about five bucks. But, you can't count on finding an item all the time. Because of the way GO purchases shopping there is something of an adventure.

"Cat........Da "Other" white meat !

"I do what the little voices tell me to da !"

"Some people are alive smiply because it's illegal to kill'em !"

"I'm not speeding, I just keeping up with traffic !"

"Just sayin'......................." ;)

Sorry Allie, but we get too many unwanted animals dumped in our country neighborhood. Feral cats are a huge problem for our local wildlife and for us that live out here as well. City folks come down to the lake for the weekend and leave their unwanted critters behind. I'll stop there, you really don't wanna know any more. :(

I guess that dumping animals qualifies as a peeve, but I don't keep it as a pet. ;)

Bodine

Hi Bodine,

I have no use for folks who dump animals either. Both of my tame cats were ferals and have the clipped ears to prove it. We have one other feral (nuttin' clipped, YET), he is so entertaining. He rolls around, talks to me, brings me dead rodents and birds, begs to be fed, follows me around when I am outside; yet we cannot touch him. Maybe he knows what I'd have done to him...

Anyway, I take issue with some cat comments. You aren't the first...

Regards,

Allie Mo

I hate Cell Phones in general. I refuse to allow a cell phone to become a tether. I own a cell phone for MY convenience, not so I can be at the constant beck and call of anybody that has the number (all 10 or 12 of them). It stays in my pocket with the ringer set on Silent for just that reason. Leave a message and I'll call you back when I check it later. If I call you and tell you to call me back, I'll turn the ringer on (and it actually rings, too, not play some stupid song) and I'll answer it when you call.

In particular, I loathe those Bluetooth ear piece thingies most of all.

I understand using them while driving but don't walk around with your hands in your pockets jabbering away on the blasted things. I can't tell if they are talking to me, thinking out loud, on the phone or if I'm only catching one side of the conversation they are having with the voices in their head.

Following Bluetooths closely is the Push to Talk feature.

I can't go to my favorite BBQ shack anymore for lunch during the week because of all the contractors yelling into their phones. If they are close enough and loud enough, I just start commenting on whatever conversation they are having. I figger if they didn't want comments from the peanut gallery or folks minding their business, they wouldn't be doing it on speaker in the middle of a crowded dining room during lunch.

I hate Cell Phones in general. I refuse to allow a cell phone to become a tether. I own a cell phone for MY convenience, not so I can be at the constant beck and call of anybody that has the number (all 10 or 12 of them). It stays in my pocket with the ringer set on Silent for just that reason. Leave a message and I'll call you back when I check it later. If I call you and tell you to call me back, I'll turn the ringer on (and it actually rings, too, not play some stupid song) and I'll answer it when you call.

In particular, I loathe those Bluetooth ear piece thingies most of all.

I understand using them while driving but don't walk around with your hands in your pockets jabbering away on the blasted things. I can't tell if they are talking to me, thinking out loud, on the phone or if I'm only catching one side of the conversation they are having with the voices in their head.

Following Bluetooths closely is the Push to Talk feature.

I can't go to my favorite BBQ shack anymore for lunch during the week because of all the contractors yelling into their phones. If they are close enough and loud enough, I just start commenting on whatever conversation they are having. I figger if they didn't want comments from the peanut gallery or folks minding their business, they wouldn't be doing it on speaker in the middle of a crowded dining room during lunch.

I was in a no cell phone restaurant in Helena Montana once. They had signs posted telling patrons to neither receive nor make calls while inside out of respect for the other diners. If you ignored the signs and picked up your phone they'd ask you to leave.

What a great place. :D

kinda gets yer knickers in a twist don't it?

================================================

That'd put a kink in his colon and harelip the Governor too!

Well this hedges on funny... but it could pe a peeve.. lol... The 99 cent store has a bridal registery.. lol.. Peeves, I try to have few so I can stand myself for the next 50 years.

But I guess mine would be I don't like to see people hurt by others.

Archived