SASS Wire Forum

I think EVERYBODY is having money problems...

Okay...We just got back home from living abroad for the last three years and haven't been spending money going to away matches.

Now that we're here and going to some major matches (US OPEN & COMIN AT CHA)I've noticed that a lot of shooters are being a little more selective about which matches they attend.

Folks that used to attend all four matches for the next four weekends,(or so) are now only going to maybe two of them.

I was thinking that maybe it was too many really good shoots stacked back to back, but now that I look at the finances of attending all the good ones up and down the Mississippi Valley (For me that's MINN to MISS) It's really gonna add up in a hurry (Hauling a 5th wheel).

Since I've been back, and attended a gunshow to buy reloading supplies, I'm simply amazed that I could ever afford this sport in the first place. I used to seriously bitch at $3.00 pg for deisel. I'd give my left Ruger to see that price now!!

Maybe those of you that have dealt with the steady rise in prices don't really notice it that much anymore, but for me it's quite a sticker shock! HOLY COW! I cant believe the prices over three years ago! This damn game is expnsive!!

Okay...Rant over.

Q. What's stoping you from attending the matches that you dearly love??

Cascade (just wonderin') Charlie

Cascade (just wonderin') Charlie

Nothing. In fact, I'm adding a few. When Wildcat retires, we'll add even more. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Live life while you can. The price of gas sure gives pause as to whether I'll take the motor home though.

Money is stopping me.Dont have what I did have.I thought My wife and I would be ok but with all the bills that we did not plan on has kick my south end if I am looking north.Two battles with cancer in two years, bought in a lot more bills than we thought.But with the help of the cowboys and cowgirls on here and their prayers and God we won the war.

I am ashamed to say this, but I don't go but to one match per year now.

Used to go to three just in MN alone !

Maybe I'll hit the lottery !!!

Money, or more specifically, a lack thereof....

We've a had a mess of issues pop up over the last few years and all of our spare cash is going to getting that stuff paid for. There's pretty much no play money right now.

Lack of money keeps me from going to the matches I'd like to go to.

This year I've been to the annual at my favorite club, two nights in a motel. Other than that just monthlies close to home.

I'd love to go to US Open, Winter Range, and make a trip up to the PNW and shoot with those folks up there, go shoot at one of the big California annuals, etc, but just don't have the money.

I am going to Comin at Cha, and honestly don't know how that trip is going to get paid for. Miz Grizz says she's gonna go with me, so maybe we can drive 15 hours in one day to save a couple nights of motels and road meals.

Was kinda planning on selling my ATVs and maybe my flatbed trailer for shooting things, but daughters school bill, well, my part of it is past due and needs to be paid first.

Honestly, I've been a round a while, and this is the first time in my life when I really felt as pinched as I do now... and it sucks.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to whine a bit :D

Grizz

Well, I have never been a "traveler" for matches, but I do enjoy going. However, health issues for both myself and my wife keep me from jumping at the door. I fear that unless there is a major change in the situation that Mima and Black River are about as far as I want to go and most certainly not overnight. Nobody is anymore dismayed than I am, but that is just the way of it.

I got a promotion a couple years ago, and, unfortunately, the position required giving up my Saturdays off. Unless I can take a vacation day, the only shoot I can attend now is the first Sunday of the month. My second retirement is drawing close though... I think I'll be back shooting "full time" again next spring. :)

Yup lack of funds... looking forward to doing next years Buffalo Stampede And combine it with a drive out to visit my sister in SantaFe NM I will try to take in a monthly or two on the drive out and back but one larger match a year is it for me unless my retirement plan (a dollar and a dream at the state lottery) pays off I am eating a lot of Ramen noodles again just like my college years :blush:

Yep it's funds with us too. We don't want to start down the slippery slope of debt when both of our jobs are in peril. We're busting our buns to get everything paid off so should our jobs leave the state, and they eventually will, we can survive elsewhere with less.

Thanks for the chance to vent.

Funds it is! Scrapin' by on a string right now, and if I DON'T go to matches I don't get paid. Catch 22 for vendors.

I honestly don't know when I'll be going to an out of state match. Prices are definitely rising faster than my pension COLA.

Charlie, this is a good thread, giving folks a chance to vent some of their frustration with the situation. Thank you for opening the door.

But I ask that we not overlook one thing and get lost in bitterness and dispair.

We have each other and we have the Saloon. I know that I for one, and I suspect others too, find

the folks around here as family. We share our hopes and good fortune and our losses and setbacks.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all of YOU and to SASS for giving me this outlet.

We may not always agree but we are still in this thing together.

God bless you all.

Two things keep me from getting invloved in SASS: money/lack of, and the growing separation of factions develpoing. I have seen this happen in Civil War, Mountain Man, Colonila venues and frankly it is a major turn-off for me. The wife is getting ready to start competing in CMSA and I'm just gonna go wrangle for her now. Unless some major changes take place in employment and "us vs. them" attitudes, I'll just read along and ride trails.

Bodine

Bodine - most of the us vs. them attitude is all on the wire, I don't see it as a distraction at matches, at least none that I've attended. Many of us are passionate about this game, and have strong opinions about issues related to it. The wire gives us a place to hash things out. And while yes, there will always be at least two camps on some issues, and they will never agree, when you get out to a match it's about having fun, shooting, and laughing.

Now I won't say that there isn't some bellyaching at matches about the issues, rules, politics, or whatever, but it's pretty easy to avoid it if you want to. I had one fellow at a major match try to get me into a conversation about national politics, while I probably agreed with his stance, it wasn't what I wanted to talk about so I politely excused myself and found somewhere else to be. That hasn't happened very often.

Wrangling for your missus for mounted shooting sounds like fun to me, horses, guns, and the woman that you love, I'd say it don't get much better than that.

Grizz

I honestly don't know when I'll be going to an out of state match. Prices are definitely rising faster than my pension COLA.

Hi UB:

Do you still actually get a POSITIVE COLA? The last time around, I had a net LOSS. I dread to think what will happen next January.

Warhorse

YUP! The current administration seems to think that us Gubment werkers are the problem and answer to the budget problems. My retirement pay has been frozen for the last two years and it's not much better with my current pay.

Tammy and I have been shooting every weekend since we got back and I can't tell y'all how much fun we've had shooting and sitting around afterwards with good friends.

I think Bodine is really missing out.

Charlie

Okay...We just got back home from living abroad for the last three years and haven't been spending money going to away matches.

Now that we're here and going to some major matches (US OPEN & COMIN AT CHA)I've noticed that a lot of shooters are being a little more selective about which matches they attend.

Folks that used to attend all four matches for the next four weekends,(or so) are now only going to maybe two of them.

I was thinking that maybe it was too many really good shoots stacked back to back, but now that I look at the finances of attending all the good ones up and down the Mississippi Valley (For me that's MINN to MISS) It's really gonna add up in a hurry (Hauling a 5th wheel).

Since I've been back, and attended a gunshow to buy reloading supplies, I'm simply amazed that I could ever aff

Money, and time..this year we have been blessed with my highest earnings in my life, but most of that is being absorbed by our past debts (most of which accumulated when I was unemployed). We feel that must be taken care of first.

Next year I hope to attend Guns of August and the US Open along with more club matches throughout Michigan and Indiana - this year is my first state shoot.

..and my other hobbies of golf and ATV ridin'.....so it's not easy to do what you want to do when you love to do other activities ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Health & Money. Money & Health.

The two seem to be more and more interconnected for us lately. Until last month, I thought I had great health insurance, esp. since my employer funds retirement medical insurance at 100%. Now that I've really had to use it, I'm finding gaps you can drive a gun cart thru! <_<

For six weeks, I'll be writing my local pharmacy a check for just short of $1400/week for just one medication - an antibiotic I have to take post-surgery to kill off a bug I got in the hospital. And that is my co-pay - after insurance :blink: ! Sure could do a lot of shootin', taking the wife antiquing (her vice) and other fun stuff with that money instead of spending it to keep alive and well! :D

Good luck to all of us who are financially challenged and prayers up for all with health issues.

Two things keep me from getting invloved in SASS: money/lack of, and the growing separation of factions develpoing. I have seen this happen in Civil War, Mountain Man, Colonila venues and frankly it is a major turn-off for me. The wife is getting ready to start competing in CMSA and I'm just gonna go wrangle for her now. Unless some major changes take place in employment and "us vs. them" attitudes, I'll just read along and ride trails.

Bodine

Factions? ..'us & them' attitudes??...glad I don't see any of that around my parts....sounds more like a 'dog ate my homework' excuse...

Hi UB:

Do you still actually get a POSITIVE COLA? The last time around, I had a net LOSS. I dread to think what will happen next January.

Warhorse

Yes. My pension id s from the State of Florida.

They're still solvent I reckon. Just barely.

Bodine

You are reading too much hot air on The Wire. I did CW reenacting for years. SASS is nothing like it. You don't see the crap st shoots that you see on the Wire. Trust me on this. The us vs. them stuff is non-existent everywhere I've shot. You can use lack of money as a viable reason to not get involved in SASS shoots but not factions and friction. You have been discouraged by those other hobbies. I would not participate in SASS if it was half as bad as some goofballs make it seem. The bulk of SASS members don't even read the Wire, much less participate in the juvenile hysterics.

You have unfortunately gotten the wrong impression about SASS from a vocal few with computers and too much time on their hands.

Well, the fact that it is going on at all is enough to make me skittish. This ain't my first rodeo gents. Knowing that those few are out there makes me wonder who's smiling in my face and stabbing me in the back. Been there done that more often than I like to remember. I'd like to get involved in something like this, but experience tells me it would end the same as last time. My employment situation has decided for me anyhow. I'll keep an eye on things and see where it goes, but right now it's like bad deja-vous. Good luck and hope everyone sees better times soon. I know I could use some good news for a change.

Bodine

You are reading too much hot air on The Wire. I did CW reenacting for years. SASS is nothing like it. You don't see the crap st shoots that you see on the Wire. Trust me on this. The us vs. them stuff is non-existent everywhere I've shot. You can use lack of money as a viable reason to not get involved in SASS shoots but not factions and friction. You have been discouraged by those other hobbies. I would not participate in SASS if it was half as bad as some goofballs make it seem. The bulk of SASS members don't even read the Wire, much less participate in the juvenile hysterics.

You have unfortunately gotten the wrong impression about SASS from a vocal few with computers and too much time on their hands.

100% honest truth....

Well, the fact that it is going on at all is enough to make me skittish. This ain't my first rodeo gents. Knowing that those few are out there makes me wonder who's smiling in my face and stabbing me in the back. Been there done that more often than I like to remember. I'd like to get involved in something like this, but experience tells me it would end the same as last time. My employment situation has decided for me anyhow. I'll keep an eye on things and see where it goes, but right now it's like bad deja-vous. Good luck and hope everyone sees better times soon. I know I could use some good news for a change.

Bodine

Doesn't matter how many bulls you've ridden....your wrong in your assessment of our sport.

You don't see the crap st shoots that you see on the Wire. Trust me on this. The us vs. them stuff is non-existent everywhere I've shot.

PM me if you want some true examples. Stuff best not said on the forum.

Okie,

You ain't a gonna tell that sheep story agin are ya? Honest I was just helpin it over the fence! :blink:

UB, Cola is a - around here too!

Bodine, I been playin fer a few years and been to quite a few clubs and met a ton of folks! That said they is the bestest folks I done ever met! I have done other things where it's dog eat dog an I gots on milkbone underwear! But SASS is by far true to the cowboy way!

The wire is just that! A fun outlet...

Archived