1 C yellow cornmeal

1 C all purpose flour

pinch salt

1/2 C butter or margarine

2/3 C sugar

2 eggs

1 C buttermilk

1/2 t baking soda

Mix dry cornmeal, flour, and salt in large mixing bowl and set aside.

Melt butter, remove from heat, stir in sugar. Beat in eggs.

Add baking soda to buttermilk, then stir into butter mixture.

Fold in dry ingredients, stir only for coarse consistency.

Pour into well greased pan, bake at 375 for 30 minutes (or 'til done).

Cornbread and honey go together like biscuits and gravy... Almost can't have one without the other...

Vaya con Dios

Howdy:

Two items that are the very definition of FOOD for ones inner soul - I LOVE both and you recipie is virtually identical to mine - Yummmm-oooo

STL Suomi

(a day without beans is like a day without sunshine)

I wholeheartedly agree~!! ^_^

WORLD'S GREATEST CORNBREAD

1 C yellow cornmeal

1 C all purpose flour

pinch salt

1/2 C butter or margarine

2/3 C sugar

2 eggs

1 C buttermilk

1/2 t baking soda

Mix dry cornmeal, flour, and salt in large mixing bowl and set aside.

Melt butter, remove from heat, stir in sugar. Beat in eggs.

Add baking soda to buttermilk, then stir into butter mixture.

Fold in dry ingredients, stir only for coarse consistency.

Pour into well greased pan, bake at 375 for 30 minutes (or 'til done).

Sugar in cornbread??? :blink: OK, maybe a tablespoon or so if you want a dessert cornbread.

And you gotta melt the butter (or better yet, bacon grease) in your screaming hot black iron skillet, pour it into the batter last, stir like the devil was chasing you, then pour the batter back into the pan so you get a nice crust to form on the bottom and sides.

And if you are out of honey, molasses works almost as well.

Sugar in cornbread??? :blink: OK, maybe a tablespoon or so if you want a dessert cornbread.

And you gotta melt the butter (or better yet, bacon grease) in your screaming hot black iron skillet, pour it into the batter last, stir like the devil was chasing you, then pour the batter back into the pan so you get a nice crust to form on the bottom and sides.

And if you are out of honey, molasses works almost as well.

That, Joe, sounds like Johnny Cakes! VERY good with mo-lasses~! :blush:

Just got a pan in the oven. Made it more "cakey" using more flour (SR rather than AP) and a touch of sugar so it will be more to my wifes taste. I like it about 2:1 cornmeal to flour, she likes it t'other way 'round.

Also have some pork shoulder steaks in the oven.

Just got a pan in the oven. Made it more "cakey" using more flour (SR rather than AP) and a touch of sugar so it will be more to my wifes taste. I like it about 2:1 cornmeal to flour, she likes it t'other way 'round.

Also have some pork shoulder steaks in the oven.

Did you make greens? Cornbread is real good with pot likker.

I like it just like meown self. Skinny and crusty. Well, one outta two ain't bad.

Either way. My wife is of the Northern persuasion (Detroit gal) so she likes her CB sweet. Johnny cake as they say. Howsoever, my Grandmother made hers the good old fashion Southern way, without.

I can take it either way. Grandma also made some rolls that would cause warfare, hot with butter and wilted lettuce. You could not pry me away from the dinner table with a crow bar.

Oh hell yeah !! Man, dats sooo good it will make ya slap yur brains out !! :wub:

And NO , NO, NO, No sweet cornbread fer me !!! :blink:

Dat stuff is just nasty ! Had some at a "Southern Style" eattery and damn near puked !! :wacko:

fresh Maine wild blueberries (the little ones full of flavor not this big cotton ball ons from the supermarkets that have no taste) in buttermilk pancakes not from a mix but scratch made. real maple sirup of course Applewood smoked bacon and with the corn bread real comb in honey where you spread a bit of bees wax with the honey

add a few farm fresh eggs Cooked how you like them and fresh squeezed juice of choice (oh and a good local butter for the pancakes of course) and its mostly all in season right now

Breakfast heaven :rolleyes:

Windy

fresh Maine wild blueberries (the little ones full of flavor not this big cotton ball ons from the supermarkets that have no taste) in buttermilk pancakes not from a mix but scratch made. real maple sirup of course Applewood smoked bacon and with the corn bread real comb in honey where you spread a bit of bees wax with the honey

add a few farm fresh eggs Cooked how you like them and fresh squeezed juice of choice (oh and a good local butter for the pancakes of course) and its mostly all in season right now

Breakfast heaven :rolleyes:

Windy

Oh GREAT... Now I have the hankerin' to go make breakfast for dinner...!!! (dang ol' Doc Windshadow don't leave well enough alone and gets a guys tastbuds all cattywumpus... ratten-fratten dand ol' temptin' a boy...) :lol::lol::lol:

Vaya con Dios

Do you like your cornbread skinny and crusty, or soft and thick?

YES...all of the above, with a big 'ol pot of fresh made Chile with onions and cheese. YUMMY ...just sayin'

Big Jake

Oh GREAT... Now I have the hankerin' to go make breakfast for dinner...!!! (dang ol' Doc Windshadow don't leave well enough alone and gets a guys tastbuds all cattywumpus... ratten-fratten dand ol' temptin' a boy...) :lol::lol::lol:

Vaya con Dios

On a totally differant train of thought.....................

Flint....tryed to send ya a PM but da board said you was full.

Is dat rat ? Didn't know PM board could be full......not recivin' PM's but not full.

Cole slaw. This was a spur of the moment thing brought on by this thread. Had to heat the oven for the cornbread anyway, so might as well throw in the pork too.

The extra juice from the slaw is good on the cornbread too.

Heck, most anything is good on cornbread.

Yes. My preference is usually for skinny and crusty - have the pan smoking hot when you pour the batter in.

My wife likes it soft and thick, more cake like. That is what I made today.

Makes no difference to me....none of it goes to waste :lol:

Mine goes to waist!

fresh Maine wild blueberries (the little ones full of flavor not this big cotton ball ons from the supermarkets that have no taste)

A friend of mine has a theory that every blueberry has exactly X amount of flavor. Big or little doesn't matter, they each get X amount. The little ones taste better because it is more concentrated.

SUGAR?!?! We calls that YANKEE cornbread 'roun' h'yar. Granpa wouldn't eat it, said it tasted like someone peed in it. :o Don't know how he figgered that and I never asked, just took his word on it. ;)

Cornbread w/ beans, chili, honey, molasses, fresh churned butter.... t's all gooood!

Dangitt, we already had supper, guess I'll have to make some for breakfast in the mornin' now.

Bodine ( I need a new keyboard AND glasses!)

Oh hell yeah !! Man, dats sooo good it will make ya slap yur brains out !! :wub:

And NO , NO, NO, No sweet cornbread fer me !!! :blink:

Dat stuff is just nasty ! Had some at a "Southern Style" eattery and damn near puked !! :wacko:

YANKEE!!!!

I love cornbread broken up in a bowl of cold buttermilk. Yuuuummmm!

YANKEE!!!!

You callin me names , are ya ?? :angry:

Born and raised in Horizon City, Tejas !!! :wub:

Now , how do ya git dat foul name out of dat ?!

Cuz, ifin' I is one........so is you, Pard !! ;)

Yes.

On a totally differant train of thought.....................

Flint....tryed to send ya a PM but da board said you was full.

Is dat rat ? Didn't know PM board could be full......not recivin' PM's but not full.

Hawk... I don't know what to say... it shows I have room... Let me do some checking and maybe delete a couple more...

Vaya con Dios

Hawk... I don't know what to say... it shows I have room... Let me do some checking and maybe delete a couple more...

Vaya con Dios

Ok. Had a power surge all down da street here so dat may have somethin' to do wif it.:unsure:

Archived