SASS Wire Forum

Some things we'd like to forget about the Duke

If heroes had to be perfect to be loved, there would be damn few of them.

Comforting to know that a person can be tremendously successful without being perfect, no?

Forget my favorite actor driving my favorite car? I think not.

Just Saying.

"Who knows what evil lurks..."

The Silver Shadow

Now come on Uncle Bob, Jet Pilot had some great air-to-air sequences with the early fighters and B-36s. And Janet Leigh! And John Wayne, by gawd!

Now come on Uncle Bob, Jet Pilot had some great air-to-air sequences with the early fighters and B-36s. And Janet Leigh! And John Wayne, by gawd!

I agree. And an F-84 MIG. Still a crappy movie. :lol:

Oh please....Gimme a break - the Duke is cool.

Look who's talkin' ~ I've seen some of your pics :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Note that I never said the Duke was not cool.

I have most of his movies.

His characters taught me a lot.

Nobody's perfect. :P

The "nautical" photo is from one of two stinkers, "Reap the Wild Wind" or "Wake of the Red Witch". The only difference between them is one had a giant, diver-eating octopus. ^_^

I think it might have been from The Long Voyage Home where he played a Norwegian seaman.

It was a good movie. And an unusual role for Wayne.

That camel cigarette ad made me remember when movie stars first started to do commercials on TV.

In the early days of TV it was considered bad form Hewbert, for an acknowledged star of stage or screen to hawk a product openly. Boy have things changed.

:blink:

That camel cigarette ad made me remember when movie stars first started to do commercials on TV.

In the early days of TV it was considered bad form Hewbert, for an acknowledged star of stage or screen to hawk a product openly. Boy have things changed.

:blink:

TV was laughed at as inferior and uncouth by the motion picture industry.

Until they saw there was money to be made/ <_<

Man had to make a living. Can't be an American Icon from a street corner.

He began his career in a world and a country that is farther from today than just the years.

The Camel ad reminded me of a comparison between screen heroes then and now. Something to the effect of "John Wayne-Lost a lung to cancer, still did his own stunts."

Man had to make a living. Can't be an American Icon from a street corner.

He began his career in a world and a country that is farther from today than just the years.

That's right, look at some of the clunkers Eastwood has made, although I personally think Eastwood had more luck playing things besides a cowboy than the Duke did. Both are heroes for me, in a world that is sadly lacking enough heroes...

For heaven's sake, don't mistake my post as a John Wayne slam.

Sure we won't.... "Bob." Or should we say.... "Comrade?" :P

I liked "Jet Fighter". I was in my early teens when it came on as a rerun. Dad and I sat and watched it. I don't know if the F-86s or Janet Leigh did more for us, but either one with The Duke was good enough for us.

The nautical photo looks like he's auditioning for a Village People cover band. Definitely not his finest moment.

That's right, look at some of the clunkers Eastwood has made, although I personally think Eastwood had more luck playing things besides a cowboy than the Duke did. Both are heroes for me, in a world that is sadly lacking enough heroes...

Boy, ya got that right....like Revenge of the Creature...check the hair and the lab coat...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2271/1606858145_040d542990.jpg

LL

Damn. Busted!

Nostrovya. :lol:

I liked "Jet Fighter". I was in my early teens when it came on as a rerun. Dad and I sat and watched it. I don't know if the F-86s or Janet Leigh did more for us, but either one with The Duke was good enough for us.

The nautical photo looks like he's auditioning for a Village People cover band. Definitely not his finest moment.

Didn't say I didn't like it. I mean c'mon,,,Janet Leigh?

But it stunk. :lol:

I think it might have been from The Long Voyage Home where he played a Norwegian seaman.

It was a good movie. And an unusual role for Wayne.

Oh my, you could be right. In this image, he has an emblem on his hat. Wake of the Red Witch

But at least he's not wearing lipstick like the poster with Thomas Mitchell! :lol:

He DOES have a lot o' dem Commie rifles: SKS' and Mosin Nagants...

Hey, wait... so do I!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Duke's role as "Singin' Sandy" in Riders of Destiny. :wacko:

Riders of Destiny

That was a "B" western in the thirties And at that was par for "b" westerns. As far the other stuff. The first was well not good. The others better than the first but not

Much. As far as the smokes well a lot big stars smoked.

His strengths are what i recall.. they helped me growing up to see the right path. We all have weaknesses or faults. As I told a new friend tonight who admitted he was a hippie a long time ago, but has been a conservative for 35 years... We all make mistakes.. some make bigger ones in one area or the other but we all make mistakes.. As long as we learn from them.. and go down the right path now and are having a great time doing it.. who cares? lol. The duke was not perfect, but considering his temptations were greater than ours.. he did GREAT..

Didn't take it that way, just making conversation. It's kinda funny to see some big stars in less flattering roles. I remember seeing Dennis Hopper in a couple of westerns when he started out, he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack. But I never doubted you were a Duke fan, Bob.

Archived