SASS Wire Forum

OT: Must vent about work

As you may know, I'm done with soldiering (going back to the weekend warrior business) and am back at my Law Dawg job. I can't release any details right now because an investigation is ongoing. Suffice it to say, however, that I thoroughly despise drugs, the concept of "medicinal marijuana," the idiotic politicians that put it in place, and the moron voters who think it's harmless and won't contribute to other drug problems. The overtime is killing me. Keep the money and let me go home on time for once!

More to follow once the search warrant is served. Nothing says "justice" like the sound of a shattering door frame followed by, "Police! Search warrant!"

As you may know, I'm done with soldiering (going back to the weekend warrior business) and am back at my Law Dawg job. I can't release any details right now because an investigation is ongoing. Suffice it to say, however, that I thoroughly despise drugs, the concept of "medicinal marijuana," the idiotic politicians that put it in place, and the moron voters who think it's harmless and won't contribute to other drug problems. The overtime is killing me. Keep the money and let me go home on time for once!

More to follow once the search warrant is served. Nothing says "justice" like the sound of a shattering door frame followed by, "Police! Search warrant!"

Would you believe that little Cortez has 4 medical marijuana dispensaries now?

There was even an application for one in Dove Creek (pop 600) last month but the commission shot it down.

I live in Humboldt Co. Ca.

Marry Jane and 215 card dispensing MDs capitol of the US.

My better half is a psychiatrist and started her career at Hum Co mental health. She had to leave it because of ethical concerns. They wanted her to change her diagnosis to keep people on SSI and marijuana. She figured it was better to leave and not burn bridges so now she works for CDCR, where there is no conflict.

She would see about 17 pts./day at Hum co mental health and a very high number of pts had drug induced psychosis from years of marijuana abuse. Its a fact. It is also a fact that cultivated marijuana potencies are much higher than they were in the 70s, 80s, etc...

When they legalize marijuana, and the dumbarses will, I can't wait for the law suits, for second hand smoke damage.

I could go on & on... Suffice it to say, we are circling the drain in many ways.

A recent report I read on legalization of marijuana said that 94 percent of prescriptions for medical marijuana in Colorado were issued to young (under 30) white males who complained of "chronic pain". Only one percent were issued to cancer patients, and two percent to HIV/AIDS patients.

Medical...right :rolleyes:

A recent report I read on legalization of marijuana said that 94 percent of prescriptions for medical marijuana in Colorado were issued to young (under 30) white males who complained of "chronic pain". Only one percent were issued to cancer patients, and two percent to HIV/AIDS patients.

Yup. I was at a stoplight in Cortez a while back. It's right across the intersection from one of the mj dispensaries. I saw 4 people go in and 2 come out in the time I sat there. Not one of em was over 25. The advertise on the radio that they have a doctor on premises to write prescriptions. Unbelievable.

Back a few Years Ago.1929 or 30.There Were Pharmacy's Writing Rx For Alcohol. My Granny Was a Big Prohibitionist Back Then and Fought Them Tooth and Nail.Then The Government Gave Up and Legalized It and Taxed The hell out Of It In The Name Of "Control".Now We Are a Nation Of DUI and DWI.With Alcohol Abuse at a all time High. I Fear For The day That Pot and Other drugs Are Legalized.Especially With The Revolving Door Court System. No Wonder LEO's Are Hard Pressed to Do Anything... OK Out Of Soap Box Mode .Evan Gets Me Wound Up.

The funny thing is that states can vote in MJ legalization, but the feds do not recognize it. A doctor who prescribes MJ can and will lose their DEA license (necessary for issuing controlled substances to patients such as codeine) if they prescribe MJ.

Who is dispensing all of this MJ? I had a lot of patients request it, but I told them I would not lose my DEA license over it. For you naysayers, medical MJ has been shown in various studies to aid in certain conditions, to include cancer pain, failure to thrive in the elderly, intractable nausea, etc., but the abuse potential is high. You have to be very selective in who should get the 'medication'.

As with anything, people will find a way to abuse it. I enjoy a glass of wine at night, but there are others who are drinking a bottle of Mad Dog 20-20 and driving. :blink:

I guess I would say that if someone found relief with about anything that was suffering I would not want to keep it from them. I hate to see pain on the faces of those I love. With that said, it should be with a "real" doctors prescription.

What bothers me about what is happening right now is that people are wanting it so they can just get high. We already have a problem with people who use booze to make up for the pain in their lives, or anger, or frustations. Do we need a drug too? It just puts more out there for more people to get into and get loaded and not live life.

We are here on this planet for such a short time to live it in a fog.. booze or otherwise. Myself I don't want to miss a moment of the humor and fun that goes on around me... why would I want to be addicted to something and miss out on life? I dont get it.

If your idea of "justice" is a no-knock warrant for marijuana possession, then I guess I'll just stay out of this discussion.

Pard, you obviously have never gone into a dealer's home before. Seldom are there drugs without weapons.. Plus knocking allows time to flush the evidence or ambush the Officers on the warrant which escalates the situation into a deadly force confrontation. I have done hundreds of warrants during my LEO career and in only 2, somebody came to the door to answer it. So the no knock is just a touchy freely thing and serves no legitimate reason other than to tip your hand and increase the possibility of people dying.

Would you advocate the military knocking when there are firearms or explosive devices probably on the other side? I doubt it.

I hope you depise alcohol even more.

I served as a full-time DUI Enforcement officer for three years (i.e. did nothing but round up drunk drivers in my fair city, the "Third Drunkest City in the Nation"). I only left the unit because I got called to active duty by the Reserves for a year; they couldn't leave my slot unfilled for that long, so I'm back as a "regular" patrol officer. I'm a Standardized Field Sobriety Testing instructor (i.e. I teach cops all over the state how to properly administer the roadside tests), and an Intoxilyzer 5000 EN instructor.

2008 was my best year: I made 350 DUI arrests and didn't lose a single case! I'm up over 800 DUI arrests total.

So yes, I've pretty much dedicated my career thus far to smoking drunk drivers.

Pard, you obviously have never gone into a dealer's home before. Seldom are there drugs without weapons.. Plus knocking allows time to flush the evidence or ambush the Officers on the warrant which escalates the situation into a deadly force confrontation. I have done hundreds of warrants during my LEO career and in only 2, somebody came to the door to answer it. So the no knock is just a touchy freely thing and serves no legitimate reason other than to tip your hand and increase the possibility of people dying.

Would you advocate the military knocking when there are firearms or explosive devices probably on the other side? I doubt it.

Ah, big Sarge, I see YOU have done this before!!!

Besides, to the naysayer, I mentioned in my original post that THE INVESTIGATION IS ONGOING AND THERE ARE DETAILS I WILL NOT DISCUSS HERE. This is much, MUCH, *MUCH* bigger than simple marijuana possession. When this thing blows, it's going to have a statewide impact.

First, let me address your last statement. The last I checked, the enemies our military face aren't subject to Fourth Amendment protections, not to mention a presumption of innocence.

With that said, I am torn. I have good friends wearing badges, and I want them to go home in one piece at the end of the day. January 1st kind of reinforced that for me and a lot of others around here. It is often difficult to balance that need with a recognized Constitutional right to be secure in one's premises. I think the poster you responded to, though was commenting on what seemed like a somewhat cavalier approach to the subject of a no-knock entry. It is part of the mindset of LEOs, though, not quite "gallow's humor," but something akin to it.

We don't deal with the concept of "medical marijuana" here, so I don't know if there is the same level of danger as with the dealers we confront. I will say that around here, those growing marijuana tend to not be the armed and violent types, and there is no way they are going to flush the evidence of a grow room. Again, in my humble opinion, it is a balancing act.

^^^DocWard, read the post directly above yours. You're WAAAAAY out of context. Key sentence: "This is much, MUCH, *MUCH* bigger than simple marijuana possession."

I didn't spot that post, I'm not sure if he posted as I began typing or not. I don't believe my post was anywhere near out of context, though. Clearly, by what was stated in the post preceding my own, this is more than medical marijuana or marijuana possession, it is more like the dealers we deal with around here on a consistent basis. That informs the balancing act I was referencing toward the safety of the officers.

Or am I missing something? it is always possible.

Cyrus, I know you, like you and respect you. But it better be a VERY LOUD "Police, search warrant!" FOLLOWED by the splintering doorframe, or I as a juror will side with the homeowner or resident who opens fire, regardless of what is found on the premises.

This happened back in Topeka when I was practicing law. Pol;ice broke down the door of an apartment. Everyone in the stairwell woke up in advance (be vewwy vewwy quiet) of the splintering doorframe and armed themselves (one with a sword), not knowing who was in the common hallway, or whose apartment was going to be hit. NONE of them heard the police ID themselves before the door went down, and the awakened resident fired two shots. One went up the armhole of my sailing buddy Mike, killing him. Residents all testified that no announcement was made. Jury RIGHTFULLY aquitted. Searcher found one joint. This bust wasn't even worth the price of the doorframe, much less my friend's life.

Please be careful out there, compadre, and look at things from a citizen's point of view before you act.

In sympathy,

eGG

Gettin' high, gettin' drunk doesn't really help or improve anything in life ~ if one decides they wish to partake in those activities...I can only say do it on your own time (not at work), and out of the public eye ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Private possession of marijuana in the home has been legal in Alaska under state law since the early 1990's. Things are no worse now than they were before. Very few people bother with "medical marijuana" (also legal under Alaska state law) as there is no need.

Personally, I arrested smugglers and seized drugs as a Customs Inspector and got to see first hand what a politically motivated mess the war on drugs really is. All it has done is assure a high and stable profit margin for the international criminal elites (including the home grown).

I would also like to vent about work

I"M GLAD I DON"T HAVE TO DO IT ANYMORE!

I feel much better now. :lol:

Private possession of marijuana in the home has been legal in Alaska under state law since the early 1990's. Things are no worse now than they were before. Very few people bother with "medical marijuana" (also legal under Alaska state law) as there is no need.

Personally, I arrested smugglers and seized drugs as a Customs Inspector and got to see first hand what a politically motivated mess the war on drugs really is. All it has done is assure a high and stable profit margin for the international criminal elites (including the home grown).

Yup..

Way back in the 20th century it was illegal to possess, manufacture, or sell alcohol..

One simply cannot legislate morality.

I read a book years ago called "The Emperor Wears No Clothes"..Interesting read, the author made a case for the real reason MJ was made illegal..It had less to do with "reefer madness" than concern among the timber barons and newspaper millionares about hemp replacing paper products made from trees, as it had been re-discovered that hemp made a superior grade of paper compared to product made from trees..These guys also had enormous political pull at the time, and entire fortunes tied up in the timber industry, paper mills, ect.

Ain't sayin' it's so..But still, an interesting theory.

Cyrus, I know you, like you and respect you. But it better be a VERY LOUD "Police, search warrant!" FOLLOWED by the splintering doorframe, or I as a juror will side with the homeowner or resident who opens fire, regardless of what is found on the premises.

This happened back in Topeka when I was practicing law. Pol;ice broke down the door of an apartment. Everyone in the stairwell woke up in advance (be vewwy vewwy quiet) of the splintering doorframe and armed themselves (one with a sword), not knowing who was in the common hallway, or whose apartment was going to be hit. NONE of them heard the police ID themselves before the door went down, and the awakened resident fired two shots. One went up the armhole of my sailing buddy Mike, killing him. Residents all testified that no announcement was made. Jury RIGHTFULLY aquitted. Searcher found one joint. This bust wasn't even worth the price of the doorframe, much less my friend's life.

Please be careful out there, compadre, and look at things from a citizen's point of view before you act.

In sympathy,

eGG

That's why "no knock" warrants are extremely rare and involve aggravating circumstances...which this case does, which I've posted several times throughout the thread.

I like Malaysia's take on marijuana. Possession of 100 grams or more of marijuana is considered prima facie evidence of intent to distribute. The penalty is MANDATORY execution, judges have no discretion. Despite being adjacent to the Golden Triangle, Malaysia has a very miniscule drug problem. And the recividism rate is to be envied.

Draconian. You bet. Effective. Very. Every port of entry has large signs informing people entring the country: If you are caught with drugs, you WILL be hanged.

Don't bother me with any arguments. If it was up to me I'd give the police the authority for summary execution. If you hven't guessed by now, I hate drugs and druggies, especially those who distribute.

I hate 'em too, and I sell them for a living. :angry: One of the biggest problems IMHO is all the so called "doctors" (not to exclude a goodly number of PA's and nurse practitioners) nowadays who are little if any more than drug dealers with a medical license. Back in the day 20-30 years ago the DEA would have yanked their license. Nobody seems to care now. Towards the end of the month we often get cut off and our wholesalers will ship us no more hydrocodone until the first of the month. Weeeeeelllll, get the "doctors" to quit feeding the addicts and I'll quit selling it to 'em.

I don't condone legalizing MJ, but maybe it's better than opiates or meth. Maybe..........

JHC RPh

I like Malaysia's take on marijuana. Possession of 100 grams or more of marijuana is considered prima facie evidence of intent to distribute. The penalty is MANDATORY execution, judges have no discretion. Despite being adjacent to the Golden Triangle, Malaysia has a very miniscule drug problem. And the recividism rate is to be envied.

Draconian. You bet. Effective. Very. Every port of entry has large signs informing people entring the country: If you are caught with drugs, you WILL be hanged.

Don't bother me with any arguments. If it was up to me I'd give the police the authority for summary execution. If you hven't guessed by now, I hate drugs and druggies, especially those who distribute.

And what else do you want to throw out constitutional protection about? Sexual practices? Suspected ownership of certain firearms? And who do you trust with power like that? What do you do when the clerk transposes some numbers in the address and LE crashes into the wrong house and the owner, thinking it is a home invasion, fires off a shot or two and is taken down by LE?

Seems if we are going to be hard core about the 2nd, we need to be hard core about the other nine, ya know?

Maybe I don't comprehend well, but why would you want to announce in a public forum that you are going to execute a search warrant? If I caught one of my officers making such a statement that could compromise an investigation, I would suspend him and probably recommend termination. If the subject of your investigation runs any type of counter intel and most organized groups do, you can really mess things up. I've seen it happen with officers posting on Facebook

First, let me address your last statement. The last I checked, the enemies our military face aren't subject to Fourth Amendment protections, not to mention a presumption of innocence.

With that said, I am torn. I have good friends wearing badges, and I want them to go home in one piece at the end of the day. January 1st kind of reinforced that for me and a lot of others around here. It is often difficult to balance that need with a recognized Constitutional right to be secure in one's premises. I think the poster you responded to, though was commenting on what seemed like a somewhat cavalier approach to the subject of a no-knock entry. It is part of the mindset of LEOs, though, not quite "gallow's humor," but something akin to it.

We don't deal with the concept of "medical marijuana" here, so I don't know if there is the same level of danger as with the dealers we confront. I will say that around here, those growing marijuana tend to not be the armed and violent types, and there is no way they are going to flush the evidence of a grow room. Again, in my humble opinion, it is a balancing act.

Doc, the Fourth Amendment guards against warrantless searches so the entry, knock of no knock is legal. The no knock basis is there as a touchy feely concept by people that have no clue what the entry team faces. In my area, no knock warrants are never granted for domiciles where no weapons are mentioned in the Search Warrant Complaint and Affidavit. They also limit times when the warrants can be served. Many judges look upon search warrants as an attack on their voter support. Sad fact but true... After a while, you develop a rapport with certain Judges that you know aren't in somebody's pocket. They will trust you until you do something wrong and then that's all... as it should be. They also do not care for John Doe , Jane Doe, or C.I. (Confidential Informants).unless you can show actual connection and/or past usage with positive results.

And trust me, nobody that has ever gone into a doorway has ever had that "cavalier attitude" more than once. You may not know this but we have to make entry facing the same weaponry short of explosives (Most times as we do sometimes get explosives tossed our way) that the military does, without the benefit of military firepower and ballistic coverage many times lighter than what a grunt wears. Most Coppers only wear Level 2 body armor and if they are smart, add a strike plate. Military body armor will stop a 7.62x39 round with ease. Level 2 armor isn't rated for 9MM NATO rounds. Plus, we don't have kevlar head gear either or as extensive a coverage except if you happen to be on SWAT. All my warrants were served in level 2 armor and sidearms, with an occasional 12 gauge with )buck for ghetto hounds... And training isn't up to the level what the military gets... That's a super sad fact of life...We had to rely on people with past military training to OTJ train those that didn't have it.

YEAH... you mean like the one about how the war on drugs has been totally ineffective for almost 50 years? What a sad travesty... and after 50 years... well... don't bother me with arguments. :rolleyes:

Deaths from MJ...0

Deaths from steroids... 4

Deaths from Vitamin Supplements.... 10's of 1,000's

Deaths from PHARMACEUTICALS... 100's of 1,000's

Deaths from cigarettes.... MILLIONS

Deaths from ALCOHOL...10's of MILLIONS

GIMME A BREAK.. buncha hypocrites at best. :angry:

If I recall correctly Malaysia is an Islamic country under Shariah law and with no bill of rights. I'm not too keen on using Canadian, British or Australian law as precedent, much less 7th century tribal traditions from south of Mesopotamia.

With Chaing Mai as the geographical heart of the Golden Triangle it's at least a thousand miles to the northern border of Malaysia across some pretty rough terrain. Not exactly adjacent in the sense that Tijuana is adjacent to San Diego.

"Don't bother me with any arguments." The last time I heard that was from a liberal who didn't want to hear facts concerning gun control and homocide rates in Europe.

If you hang someone for using drugs what's left for murders, rapists and traitors?

And I'd bet a month's pay that those same people complain about second hand smoke in the workplace! :blink:

BSD

Doc, the Fourth Amendment guards against warrantless searches so the entry, knock of no knock is legal. The no knock basis is there as a touchy feely concept by people that have no clue what the entry team faces.

You might want to mention that to Justice Clarence Thomas, as well as the rest of the Court. Justice Thomas wrote in Wilson v. Arkansas (1995) 514 U.S. 917 that "At the time of the framing, the common law of search and seizure recognized a law enforcement officer's authority to break open the doors of a dwelling, but generally indicated that he first ought to announce his presence and authority. In this case, we hold that this common-law "knock and announce" principle forms a part of the reasonableness inquiry under the Fourth Amendment." (emphasis mine) The knock and announce concept is not a recent addition to the law, it is discussed by Blackstone, and clearly was something the framers had in mind as they considered the Fourth Amendment.

As I alluded, and as Justice Thomas expounds in the decision, there is a reasonableness inquiry that must take place. "although a search or seizure of a dwelling might be constitutionally defective if police officers enter without prior announcement, law enforcement interests may also establish the reasonableness of an unannounced entry."

In essence, the knock is fundamental to our Constitutional rights. To pay it short shrift is to do damage to the Bill of Rights, something I am opposed to.

In my area, no knock warrants are never granted for domiciles where no weapons are mentioned in the Search Warrant Complaint and Affidavit. They also limit times when the warrants can be served. Many judges look upon search warrants as an attack on their voter support. Sad fact but true... After a while, you develop a rapport with certain Judges that you know aren't in somebody's pocket. They will trust you until you do something wrong and then that's all... as it should be. They also do not care for John Doe , Jane Doe, or C.I. (Confidential Informants).unless you can show actual connection and/or past usage with positive results.

I am fortunate to work in a jurisdiction with two Common Pleas judges. They have a pretty good relationship with law enforcement, and are generally reliable, not in anyone's pocket. However, Ohio law does put specifics into place that must be met prior waiving the knock requirement. This is a legislative vehicle to follow the mandates of the reasonableness inquiry.

And trust me, nobody that has ever gone into a doorway has ever had that "cavalier attitude" more than once.

I'm going to ask you to do me a favor and go back and re-read my response. I did not say the OP had a cavalier attitude. I offered that perhaps the poster who was troubled may have interpreted it as such. Indeed, I suggested it was a part of the mindset of LEOs who make these entries, a part of that nervous or forced levity that often occurs when going into a known dangerous situation. I have seen it among my fellow soldiers, as well as felt it myself. I have been around LEOs when joking about it after the fact.

And I'd bet a month's pay that those same people complain about second hand smoke in the workplace! :blink:

BSD

now that is funny.. lol.. I bet you are right too.. lol

I like the medical MJ law in CO, cause a bunch of them stoner dudes moved from WY to CO. One of my former carpenters moved to CO, got his "pot card" and got a job at a convenience store. He told the doctor his elbow hurt after he worked all day and the doctor gave him a card.

LL'

BSD

They'd have to have jobs for that. <_<

I like the medical MJ law in CO, cause a bunch of them stoner dudes moved from WY to CO. One of my former carpenters moved to CO, got his "pot card" and got a job at a convenience store. He told the doctor his elbow hurt after he worked all day and the doctor gave him a card.

LL'

I read where there are only a few docs in the state writing prescriptions for pot. They busted one a few weeks ago for writing scrips without even examining patients.

Archived