SASS Wire Forum

1st time at "Winter Range"......could use some help.....

Wolf Wind-Walker #36748

Ok folks ......1st time going to Winter Range.....I am really looking forward to it........ B)

Couple of things...........what to do at the Range....stores/vendors, food etc....

Like to meet some folks I know from the Wire.....talked with ya'll but not met yet.......so please come up and introduce yourself..........

Any other advice or tips..feel free ..throw them out there.........

Comin down the 18 so's I can shoot Cowtown on Sat the 19th........so see some of you there.....Jewel and I are staying in Buckeye with one our son's and 5 or our grandkids........the son and his oldest will be coming out with Jewel while we are shooting....looking forward to that......

Oh .....and last but not least........could the "FAST" Senior Duelists slow down a bit ....so's this poor old slow Utah boy won't feel so bad.....???? :o:huh:

Most Humble Regards.......Wolf

First off, stop worrying about other shooters and just have fun! You're gonna LOVE the stages! Blackjack Zak writes some AWESOME ones and I think you will really be pleased! Vendor row; WOW! there will be too many choices. In town, there are MUCHO attractions. Cabela's would be #1 on my list if you haven't been to one along with many gun stores (legendary guns is a must, LOTS of cowboy guns) The road to Cowtown is a mite bumpy but easily passable with a sedan. (Paved dirt with LOTSA rocks) You'll like them folks too!

There's plenty of food vendors at WR plus Ben Avery is real close to shopping and restaurants. If you have GPS you won't have any problem finding all the good stuff close by.

One word if you want to shoot Fire and Ice at Cowtown the weekend before Winter Range. They have set the maximum number of shooters at 200. Call them and sign up NOW!

Ok folks ......1st time going to Winter Range.....I am really looking forward to it........ B)

Couple of things...........what to do at the Range....stores/vendors, food etc....

Like to meet some folks I know from the Wire.....talked with ya'll but not met yet.......so please come up and introduce yourself..........

Comin down the 18 so's I can shoot Cowtown on Sat the 19th........so see some of you there.....Jewel and I are staying in Buckeye with one our son's and 5 or our grandkids........the son and his oldest will be coming out with Jewel while we are shooting....looking forward to that......

Oh .....and last but not least........could the "FAST" Senior Duelists slow down a bit ....so's this poor old slow Utah boy won't feel so bad.....???? :o:huh:

I bet your faster than me...

Texas Lizard

I'm sure that's why there is over 750 folks sighned up this year.

Yeah - the burgers were actually pretty good.

Wolfy - I have never seen you have any problem meeting folks and having fun.

And a few of the Southern Nevada contingent will be there, so if worse comes to worse, find us and we will have fun with ya.

Gee thanks guys.........appreciate all the feedback........ :FlagAm:

Lefty - look forward ta meetin you too.......

Larsen.......already signed up for Fire & Ice..look forward to seein you again........

Creeker..I don't think I have to worry.....they got me possed with JT..so you know we will be causin trouble.. ;)

Deuce..seen ya in the videos.........be good ta meet ya in person........ B)

Just remember fella's..tell them Senior Duelists to slow down a bit so's I can keep up..... :)

Now's I gots to figure out how this "practicin" thing is supposed to go..... :o

Be well..Wolf.

Hello the camp! "Practice" is a concept engendered by those who don't have 4 club matches a month....or those who figure it helps them win. Can't say I resemble that credo. I figure every good shot in practice is one less available to me when the timer goes off.

I have built every WR and shot all but two. i GUARANTEE you the most fun you can have with your britches on. Look forward to seeing you. mm

If you shoot Wild Bunch there is a Wild Bunch Warm-up at Cow Town 18 Feb. If there is still room you may want to get here on the 17th. Check the Wild Bunch forum at the www.wildbunch.net Wild Bunch Site.

Quite a Hike from Buckeye to Ben Avery 45 - nearly 60 miles depending on where in Buckeye. Getting to I 10 and the 101 north can be problematic in the mornings. Usually a pretty good back up if you head east on the 10. Once on the 101 north the 101 to the 17 Runs pretty good and from the 101 & 17 Intersection north to Carefree High Way AZ 74 will run smooth most mornings. Your son should know all the by pass routes.

Look me up, should be easy to spot a Short Fat White haired guy not many of them around ;-0

Actually will probably be the only short fat white haired guy on the range with an infantry stripe on the trousers and NBS Infantry Captain Gold Bullion Shoulder Boards - I earned them, paid for them so I wear them.

Hey Malpais Mike - I will have to think about that new practice philosiphy your espousin....... :blush:

So Capt Dan..I'm supposed to look for a fella with Gold on his shoulders....??? :huh:

Ok Mike Fink........guess that will be at least 2 newbies there... :FlagAm:

See ya'll in a couple of weeks..........WWW

Y'all coming from the West & West valley to W. R.

The Loop 303 is getting very close to opening from The I-10 to I-17. As many know it is open partially. The section from Happy valley Parkway to I-17 is paved. They are doing the Signage now and on & off ramps. That section should open soon,

Will keep you posted as to the status. I travel that area several times a Week.

Hey Wolf,

If you take Cotton Lane north from the I-10 it turns into the 303 and will take you to Happy valley parkway,turn right take that to Lake Pleasant parkway, go north (turn left) to Carefree hwy and turn right. This will take you right to ben avery and you can miss all of the morning traffic that ties up the 10 and the 101 and the 17. If you need more info just email me and I will gladly help. This is how I get to Ben Avery and it misses alot of traffic.

BIG TIM

Mike Fink you will have to get ahold of us. We will be at Pioneer RV park a mile north of the WR exit. We should be there around the 15th tell right after WR. I'm thinking there will be four or five of us bunched up there. They put on a fine match and alot of Venders and food. NBC

Change all of your timepieces to AZ time. My first time there I showed up and was 2nd in the parking lot, only feller that beat me was there at 5am to claim the best spot, he was handicapped. I got there about 5:02.A M.

Needless to say, we had a good chat.....

Cheyenne, who's gittun antsy, Culpepper

Hi Wolf, my advice is have fun but be prepared for rain, something to cover your gun cart and your self, it could happen and if it does they are famous for some pretty heavy down fall. It happened to me and I was standing ankle deep in it.

I had a good time anyway. best regards sergeant cody

Hey Malpais Mike - I will have to think about that new practice philosiphy your espousin....... :blush:

So Capt Dan..I'm supposed to look for a fella with Gold on his shoulders....??? :huh:

Ok Mike Fink........guess that will be at least 2 newbies there... :FlagAm:

See ya'll in a couple of weeks..........WWW

There will be gold around the edges the the background on the inside of the shoulder boards will be infantry blue. Kinda like the background here on the bb. Most shoulder boards you see have cav yeller in the center or artillery red.

Change all of your timepieces to AZ time. My first time there I showed up and was 2nd in the parking lot, only feller that beat me was there at 5am to claim the best spot, he was handicapped. I got there about 5:02.A M.

Needless to say, we had a good chat.....

Cheyenne, who's gittun antsy, Culpepper

Thanks for the advice!! This will save me about 8 hours.. But I would probably get a good spot though..! :blink:

Guest Henry Horns SASS #19579L

Howdy,

We're not gonna be shootin' but will attend the festivities again this year.

Hope to get to meet a bunch of Y'all this year.

Had the great pleasure of meeting Larsen E. Pettifogger and Joe LaFives yesterday at the Crossroads Gun show. B) Great Pards.

Henry

Howdy WWW,

Appalachia Annie and I have been going to WR now for 13 years. We will be driving out from Pittsburgh, PA and staying at the Red Roof Inn in north Phoenix for the match.

Make sure you attend the safety meeting assigned to your posses/start time. Annie and I will start on Thursday PM. We will not participate in the Long Range matches on Wednesday, as that is a driving/travel day for us.

Thursday is when all the serious shooting starts. Please make sure you are where you are supposed to be to shoot your first stage. The contents of your registration envelope will contain all your possee placement shooting stages.

There are possibly 35-40 CAS/SASS vendors, and maybe 10 food vendors, all of which can satisfy some of your "needs".

The SASS WR National Championship is on our "must do" list. As long as it is presented, and we are physically able, we will be there.

Chicken Coop

Pecos Paul and I are leaving Kansas City on Friday afternoon / Saturday morning for a 20+ hour trip to Phoenix (Winter Range). I would like to find a good competitive shoot for the 3rd Sunday (2/20) in New Mexico or Arizona or Nevada to help get our mind back to the game (Kansas has NOT shot in 2 month cause of the cold/snow). Cowtown is not in the card this year. Give us some ideas.

Your pard,

KC

Howdy,

Albquerque(?) may be you best bet if you head that direction.

KK

Pecos Paul and I are leaving Kansas City on Friday afternoon / Saturday morning for a 20+ hour trip to Phoenix (Winter Range). I would like to find a good competitive shoot for the 3rd Sunday (2/20) in New Mexico or Arizona or Nevada to help get our mind back to the game (Kansas has NOT shot in 2 month cause of the cold/snow). Cowtown is not in the card this year. Give us some ideas.

Your pard,

KC

Howdy,

Albquerque(?) may be you best bet if you head that direction.

KK

No shoots around ABQ on the 20th - we shoot on the 19th. Consider Elephant Butte. Matches will be held there on the 20th.

Wolfy

I will keep an eye out for you. I will be camping at the range.

Don't miss the Taco vendor. He makes a pulled pork taco on fry bread that is unbelievable.

See you there

Wif :D

Hi Wolf, my advice is have fun but be prepared for rain, something to cover your gun cart and your self, it could happen and if it does they are famous for some pretty heavy down fall. It happened to me and I was standing ankle deep in it.

If you were only ankle deep you were lucky. I was up to my knees on stage 3 the first year we were there. Not good!!! Take TALL boots and good warm rain gear. Arizona is not necessarily always warm like we Iowans thought at the time. It was a learning experience.

It is a totally awesome shoot and you will have a great time. Take lots and lots of $$$$$.

Hey Wolfie! It'll be good to see ya again. I'll be in on Friday. Gonna try to shoot F & I. I'll be staying at the campground with Fast Hammer and Doc so look me up.

Four Bucks

Archived