SASS Wire Forum

Frontier Cartridge Revolver Question.

Would my Bisley New Models be ok for frontier cartridge or should I stick with cap and ball revolver using a conversion cylinder.  Want to switch to frontier cartridge but of course if I can save money by using my Ruger Bisley New Models I will. 

If your Bisleys have reduced power springs they would be preferred.  However, make sure the gap between the cylinder and the barrel is large enough to accommodate black powder fouling.  Cleaning black powder fouling is easy even with a top strap.  I'd give APP a try for the first batch of ammo.

• Like 3

I have been using a pair of blued old model Vaquero's in 357...using 38 cases...and haven't had any trouble yet for six stages using APP and 125grain bullets.

Posted (edited)

They'll work just fine with APP or Real BP. Just be sure to use a BP compatible grease on the cylinder pin.  I use Mobil 1 Red Synthetic.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2

Yes they will work fine agree with the Mobile 1 Grease. I shoot Open Tops and C&B in Frontier Cartridge with no problems, never shot APP just real black so not sure how APP works but should be fine as well. All revolvers clean up well for me so not an issue with top straps or open tops.

• Like 1

I decided to revert back to the original cowboy rifle/revolver cartridge, 44-40.  I shoot only real black out of Stainless Old Model Ruger Vaqueros and have no issues, that is once I reamed their cylinder throats.  Of course, Ruger no longer manufactures these, but they work extremely well for black powder.  I have shot two whole matches without even swabbing or cleaning the revolvers.

Yes!! It’s the MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE SHOOTING!! The smoke will put a big fat SMILE on your face!!

The Dark Side is calling!! :wub:

Hugs!!

Scarlett

• Like 3

Yes they will work just fine.

Make sure you run APP power , it's self lubricating and can be used with the same bullets you already run in your smokeless cartridges. 

Welcome to the dark side .

Rooster 

Posted (edited)

I use APP 3F and Hi-Tek coated bullets, both from Scarlett Darlin with Ruger SS NMV which other than springs are stock, the stock cylinder to barrel gap on those pistols is sufficiently wide enough to not be a problem. The combination is reliable through 6 stages with no maintenance between stages. I do wipe down the front sights with a damp rag after each stages as I shoot FCG and the sights tend to get covered in a bit of soot. Clean-up is easy with 90/10 mix of water/Ballistol. Give it a try with the revolvers you have, I think you will have a lot of fun.

You can check them out in action here: 

https://www.youtube.com/@bingomontana

Snapshot !.png

Edited by Bingo Montana

I've shot 6 stages with my 45 Vaqueros with 2F real BP and zero issues. It also cleans that miserable carbon from my usual smokeless on the back strap for me!!

• Like 3