SASS Wire Forum

Infected replacement knee "I have a date for sugery

Posted (edited)

Got a call from my surgeon this morning, the date for the surgery is June 4th. They'll take out the old knee and replace it with an antibiotic spacer. That will stay until this damn infection is gone. Dr expects 6-8 weeks

A few years back there was a thread about a cow poke that developed an infection and the trials and tribulations they went through. But darned if I can find it.

I was looking for it because since early Jan this year, that's what I've been going through. It started as what felt like a small bruise above the knee. This seemed to go away, but then came back a little stronger. This went on for about 4 weeks, getting more and more painful until Feb 10th when I fell at home, couldn't get up and was carted to the ER. After some tests and X-rays they drew some fluid from the knee and determined that I had a septic staph infection in the knee. I was in surgery a couple hours later and from then till today I've been going through PT, rehab, administering an IV antibiotic etc.

Bottom line, the Dr's have decided that flushing the joint thoroughly and administering loads and loads of antibiotics didn't do the trick. 

So now I'm awaiting a date for another surgery to remove the old fake knee and install a spacer made of an antibiotic material that will stay there until the infection is truly gone, where upon they will go back in, again, and put in a real replacement.  Ugh 

I ask, looking for anyone out there that has gone through this themselves that can offer advice, what I can look forward to, that sort of thing?

Edited by Clay Mosby
Uodate
  • Sad 10

Wow, I will be praying for you.

me too , i hope you recover quickly and completely without issues 

there was a rash of this in our area a number of years ago , we installed a system that delivered laminar air to the surgical area to cure that , it seems to have been successful as they continued knee surgeries and the infection rate has been almost eliminated , 

im not a surgeon , nor that bright about infections , as an architect.contractor we applied what the surgeons asked for , if i were going to get a knee replaced id want to research the facility carefully , 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I hope that the infection can be entirely eliminated from your knee.

In the mid 70's, I had an ankle replacement due to a serious accident. At the time of the accident, bones were covered with dirt and sand. It was impossible to remove all of the dirt and sand and some became encapsulated in the bones. When the artificial ankle was installed, some of the dirt and sand were exposed to the metal joint resulting in an infection. Since antibiotics will not work on metal and the source (the dirt and sand) could not be completely removed, the joint was removed and my ankle was fused.

• Sad 3

I'm praying for you Pappy.  I just beat down a septic staph infection that they thought was in my urinary system.  Fought it for several weeks, until they decided it was in my blood instead.  Now I'm taking 1gm tablets twice a day of methenamine hippurate.  I have about 90 tablets left of 180 and a refill for 180 more.  They are the nastiest tasting thing I ever had in my mouth, but they seem to be working: no trace of the infection left, but I still get to take this medicine until it's gone  for certain and sure.

Hope they knock yours down, too.

• Like 3

Had to give up on my knee replacement, end of January, due to an abscess/infection, followed by a tooth extraction.

Replacement is still on hold, so I'll follow this thread with prayers and and a degree of apprehension for you Clay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow! I am saddened to hear this Clay. I hope and pray they are able to help you and get you back on your feet. 

Wow, good luck and hope the surgery goes well. 

I have partial replacements and this has been a concern. How long ago had your replacement joint been installed before infection started? I was told to take anti-biotics before any dental work etc,  After 10 years i have gotten sloppy about doing so. Some doctors say to take them forever before anything is done involving blood.  NHH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prayers up Clay

This is NOT good news!!  

I have three short stories for you with three different “endings” !

One of my cowboy friends had a knee replacement that became infected and they treated it the same way they are treating yours. He was laid up for several months, but eventually recovered and received another knee replacement. Seems to be doing fine several years later.

A second cowboy received the replacement knee with the same resulting infection. After repeated attempts to eliminate the infection, including another knee replacement, he finally lost the leg and as a result of his other health issues and not taking the best care of himself, we lost him a couple of years later.  He never fully cleared the infection.

The third story is my own. I have fought repeated infections in my foot and in my bloodstream for over seven years now.  It started with a simple scratch on the bottom of my foot that got infected. They removed a large chunk of tissue from the sole of my foot that took more than a year to grow back and I contracted a different infection before it could heal. The first was a Strep infection which cleared quickly, but the second was a MRSA Stapf infection and it resulted in seven more operations, several stays in the hospital including one of over two months, several series of IV antibiotics, and years of continuous oral antibiotics.

The last surgery was two months and three days ago. This time, I demanded that they close the incision after removing a toe and several bones. In each previous procedure, they left the wound open to heal from the inside out and in all but one instance I contracted another infection!!

I’m not sure that I ever did or ever WILL be completely free of infection. MRSA can sit dormant for months or even years in some cases.

I wish you the best of luck and offer my prayers for your quick and complete recovery!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

The original replacement was done 14 years ago. I hadn't heard about the germs getting into a joint from dental. I take amoxi before each visit but now wonder if I missed one? Hopefully the surgery will be soon and successful

Thanks for the input folks!

• Like 4

I remember the Pard who had the original problem, but can't remember who it actually was. I remember he had struggles, but finally was able to beat the infection and get back to normal....whatever the hell that is!

I have 5 replacement joints, 2 knees, 2 shoulders and an ankle. All have been very successful. My first knee replacement was in 2002 and it is still in good condition. My ortho doc wants to look at it annually to make sure there are no problems because of it's age.

Good luck, hope a everything turns out well for you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

A few years back there was a thread about a cow poke that developed an infection and the trials and tribulations they went through. But darned if I can find it.

I was looking for it because since early Jan this year, that's what I've been going through. It started as what felt like a small bruise above the knee. This seemed to go away, but then came back a little stronger. This went on for about 4 weeks, getting more and more painful until Feb 10th when I fell at home, couldn't get up and was carted to the ER. After some tests and X-rays they drew some fluid from the knee and determined that I had a septic staph infection in the knee. I was in surgery a couple hours later and from then till today I've been going through PT, rehab, administering an IV antibiotic etc.

Bottom line, the Dr's have decided that flushing the joint thoroughly and administering loads and loads of antibiotics didn't do the trick. 

So now I'm awaiting a date for another surgery to remove the old fake knee and install a spacer made of an antibiotic material that will stay there until the infection is truly gone, where upon they will go back in, again, and put in a real replacement.  Ugh 

I ask, looking for anyone out there that has gone through this themselves that can offer advice, what I can look forward to, that sort of thing?

that sounds about right. I have had both of mine done and was told to always keep an eye out for any infection on my body because it could drift down to one of the knees. Anytime I have a serious infection or think I do my doctor has me call and make an appt so he can take an xray and check it out. I don't even have to wait for an appt, he gets me in ASAP. He treats infections as a priority over everything else. He basically said what you are going through would be the process. Current knee would be removed, some type of filler would go in until all the infection was gone and then a total new knee replacement. It was my understanding you will basically just go through the same steps you did when you got the first replacement. PT and exercise. Not much changes from the first time to the second time. 

TM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Had to give up on my knee replacement, end of January, due to an abscess/infection, followed by a tooth extraction.

Replacement is still on hold, so I'll follow this thread with prayers and and a degree of apprehension for you Clay.

Yes, teeth extractions or any type of work on them is dangerous for an infection. I have to take 4 Amoxicillin tabs an hour before I go to have any dental work done. Good luck on your future replacement. I have both of mine done and the first was is better than the second one. The newest and greatest isn't as good as my first one in my opinion.

TM

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, No Horse Hair, SASS #77464 said:

I have partial replacements and this has been a concern. How long ago had your replacement joint been installed before infection started? I was told to take anti-biotics before any dental work etc,  After 10 years i have gotten sloppy about doing so. Some doctors say to take them forever before anything is done involving blood.  NHH

The antibiotics are a good way to stay on top of any infection or work that could cause it. I have a bottle that I keep for any dental work or anything that could possibly cause an infection. I got my first knee replacement in 2007 and my second one in 2017 and I still take Amoxicillin before any type of work is done just to be safe. Doctor keeps me supplied with a bottle of 20 at most times since I have to take 4 for each dental visit, etc.

TM

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

The antibiotics are a good way to stay on top of any infection or work that could cause it. I have a bottle that I keep for any dental work or anything that could possibly cause an infection. I got my first knee replacement in 2007 and my second one in 2017 and I still take Amoxicillin before any type of work is done just to be safe. Doctor keeps me supplied with a bottle of 20 at most times since I have to take 4 for each dental visit, etc.

TM

My dentist won't do any work on me if I havn't taken my antibiotics. They actually call me about 2 hours before my appointment to remind me.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My dentist won't do any work on me if I havn't taken my antibiotics. They actually call me about 2 hours before my appointment to remind me.

I like their attention to detail. Mine trusts me to take mine I guess since no call but they do asked me when I am taking back into a room and if I had forgotten they give me 4 right then and I have to wait an hour before they will work on me.

TM

• Like 2

• Clay Mosby changed the title to Infected replacement knee "I have a date for sugery