SASS Wire Forum

My Package Tracking Tale

I ordered a spiffy crochet hook for my wife.  OK, it would be late for her birthday.  Tracking originally said Thursday, 28 March.  Yesterday morning I checked tracking and said it would arrive on Wed. 27 March.  Great!  Checked tracking a little later, Departed Santa Rosa (where we are) to Ukiah....about an hour north of here.  What?  Well, maybe the parcel facility is there.....NOPE!  Wonder how long USPS will play ping pong with it?

Moving Through Network

Departed USPS Facility

PETALUMA, CA 94954 

March 28, 2024, 3:20 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

NORTH BAY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 28, 2024, 1:44 am

Processing at USPS Facility

UKIAH, CA 95482 

March 27, 2024, 10:40 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

SANTA ROSA, CA 95404 

March 27, 2024, 2:02 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

NORTH BAY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 26, 2024, 11:08 pm

Departed USPS Regional Facility

AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 26, 2024, 9:26 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 25, 2024, 7:57 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility

AUSTIN, TX 78744 

March 25, 2024, 6:42 pm

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

Several years ago I ordered some stuff from Midway. I was visiting my daughter in Atlanta. And I tracked this every day, because she lived in an apartment and I wasn't sure how they handled packages there.

We shall say that it was due to arrive on the 8th. Because I don't recall the exact date.

On the 5th the tracking said it was in Atlanta post office, and I was happy because I thought that meant I would get it 3 days earlier than I expected.

On the 6th tracking said it was in Athens post office. On the 7th it was still in the Athens post office. But on the 8th it came back to Atlanta, and was delivered on the estimated day of arrival.

Apparently it was against the rules to deliver it 3 days early. :wacko:

• Like 4

I just purchased a hat from a Pard here on the wire. He mailed it immediately and tracking said I'd get it on the 21st. It sat in Birmingham for a couple days and got to the next to last dist center in NH on the 23rd. Sat there until yesterday the 28th and was delivered! So much for Priority. I called my Postmaster to check on it Monday and she said they were likely waiting to fill a cage before sending forward!?! Funny thing was that had 2 other packages arrive in NH on the 24th and they were both delivered on the 25th. But my Priority package, noooo, we're gonna just leave it here for a couple more days.

Supposedly out for delivery today. 

Expected Delivery on

THURSDAY

March

between

9:15am and 1:15pm

Your item is out for delivery on March 28, 2024 at 6:10 am in SANTA ROSA, CA 95409.

I bought a shotgun from a pard here on the Wire. Itwas sent from the neighboring state, approximately 800 miles away.Aftr 4 weeks I contacted him, he said he had mailed it 3 days after he received funds.

2 more weeks passed,and I talked to my local postmaster,and he told me that it had to be missing 30 days from my complaint before an investigation would be started.

I finally convinced him to start tracking it for me.

He traced it to a regional UPS hub where it had been sitting ,at that time, for six weeks.

His explanation was that it was sent by commercial rate, and packages sent by that rate were put in a bin at the hub, and they wouldn't ship the bin until until it was full. 

I finally received the shotgun on the 29th day of the waiting period.

All in all, it looks over 8 weeks to get to me.

Choctaw

• Sad 1

One time my wife left her cell phone in a rental car in Seattle. I contacted the company and they had it shipped to us. Because the phone was fully charged and we had its locator connected to my phone, we were able to physically see where it was every step of the way. The route to my house was crazy, but I assume UPS and FedEx know what they are doing.

Ages ago I had a USPS package coming parcel post.  Tracking said it was in Northboro, MA and stayed there for several days. I asked the post mistress why. She said they put it on a pallet, when the pallet was full or two weeks, whichever came first, it would arrive.

• Sad 2

I bought some holsters from a guy in Washington State. A week or so after I sent the check he pm'd me and asked if I still wanted the holsters because he was still waiting on money.

I told him that the pony may have gotten bogged down in the snow crossing the Rockies, because it was December, and to just wait some more, because the check had been sent.

It was two and a half weeks after I sent the check before he pm'd me again and said the check had arrived and the holsters had gone out. It took two days for the holsters to get from Washington to Florida, but 18 days for the money to get from Florida to Washington.

May have had something to do with Christmas shipping, since this was happening in December.

• Like 1

Remember when they first came out with priority Mail? Early 90s.

$2 for 2 lb or less, in 2 days.

$2 was a lot of money, when regular postage was 35¢.

So I did that one time, because it needed to absolutely positively be there in 2 days. Took 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PFFFT!

That's nothing!

I tracked a parcel from a friend in N. Carolina, to Seattle, to Vancouver, WA. then to Vancouver, BC, to Montreal, Quebec, then Heathrow, in the UK, back to Montreal, Quebec, on to Winnipeg, Manitoba, back to Montreal, then here to Ottawa, Ontario.

Now it was during Covid, so who knows why.

• Haha 2

A couple of years back I bought a pair of revolvers and a rifle from a pard in South Carolina.  I live in Oregon.  He sent the pkg. registered next day to me via USPS. He received the pkg. the next day and refused it because it was to be sent to me, not him!  Oops, their mistake so back to the facility it went and 8 days later it arrived in the next town to me where it was noted that the pkg. was refused and was sent back to South Carolina!  Remember that it was originally sent to the wrong address first. 

11 days later it was finally received by my FFL.  3 trips across country and 3.5 weeks later I finally got the revolvers. 

He sent the rifle to me the same day and I received it within 5 days.  Go figure!!!

Edited by Caladisi kid
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

By Thor's left ball!  It got here today!  

Buy a lottery ticket.  Might as well press your luck while you're hot.

• Haha 5

Awaiting a UPS that's SUPPOSED to arrive today by ... seven minutes ago.

Rechecked tracking, now it says by 7 pm.

If it was FedEx this would translate by "Sometime after the weekend even though we promised it last Wednesday."

Edit to Add -- 

Mine arrived 1 hr 45 min after the window they gave me originally.

Dee-lighted!

Edited by Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Awaiting a UPS that's SUPPOSED to arrive today by ... seven minutes ago.

Rechecked tracking, now it says by 7 pm.

If it was FedEx this would translate by "Sometime after the weekend even though we promised it last Wednesday."

FedEx has twice given me “mailroom was closed”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

FedEx has twice given me “mailroom was closed”

... grrr ...

• Like 1

I got that beat. I ordered a backpack in Oct of last year. They told me it was backordered but would get it out in the next couple of days. In December I called and they said it had been mailed but they didn't have a tracking number for it. I called in February and they told me it was in transit. I called again last week to ask for my money back and they said it was stilling showing in transit so they couldn't refund my money until the post office officially said it was lost. I don't think I will ever see the bag nor my money at this point.

TM

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

Well, she got up from her nap, grabbed some lunch, and saw the card (ok, just a free card i printedfroma website) and little box on the back of her recliner.   Set her lunch down,  looked at it closer,  "YOU DIDN'T!" she said.   Opened the box and got a big silly grin on her face.  She hadn't been expecting anything,  so she was very surprised.  Instantly sat down,  grabbed some yarn and took it for a test drive. 

Success. 

Screenshot_20240328_145842_Chrome.thumb.jpg.794384c85144291cfa55ab7c943a34d1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I worked part time for a package shipping company during college for a couple of years in the early 1990's.  Boxes go from hub to hub, some bigger than others until it gets to the closest hub where it goes out for delivery.  At least when I worked there, pretty much everything was handled manually and sometimes a box meant for say Hartford, CT might end up in a truck headed for Chicago, IL.  And since most of the packages moved by truck, bad weather, heavy traffic or a backup due to an accident can mean a package doesn't move from hub to hub quick enough to make the delivery date.

• Like 1

Well done Sir, well done!

• Thanks 1

looks very nice , i know nothing of how to opperate that but it looks nicely made , 

i ordered shotgun wads from south of the twin cities - they went to duluth way up on the north coast then back to here just north of the twin cities , lotta gas got burned and hundreds of miles traveled to go an hour + north from its origin , and it took a couple days rather than a couple hours , 

Edited by watab kid

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

looks very nice , i know nothing of how to opperate that but it looks nicely made

I can't work them either.  But it's butter smooth and fits her hand almost as if made for her.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I can't work them either.  But it's butter smooth and fits her hand almost as if made for her.

ya , never seen any quite like that , my grandmother had some of ivory or bone and my first wife had mostly plastic , its been decardes since ive been around someone that was proficient at this , 

OH Well! 

At least things may eventually arrive, unlike gun parts or shipments from gun related firms or even names coming into Canada from the USA.

Things reach the US/Canada border and come to a grinding halt, while CBSA does it's thing: sometimes for several months, others times in a day or two.

We THINK we know why it is happening, but won't know for certain until sometime after October of 2025.