SASS Wire Forum

Microwave popcorn

Some of it is actually pretty good if you can cook it well. EASY to burn. Of course the good stuff has a crapload of fat. IIRC Redenbacher's and one called showtime or movie time or something can be quite good. I used to work with a gal that would burn it EVERY time, just a matter of how badly. Surprised the FD never got called out or we got to field test a fire extinguisher! No joke!

JHC 

• Like 1

i have not been able to eat popcorn for over 25 years not - i love the smell when my wife eats it near every night but my diverticulitis wont allow it and actually hadnt allowed it before i quit that and most nuts used to put me down for days , i just cut them from my diet and im fine now , but i miss them all , 

• Sad 1

What the Captain said.  Most of the difference, I've found,  is how much doesn't pop and the size of the kernels.  

I'd stay near the microwave and listen for the popping to slow way down,  one pop every second or two.   I  like a LITTLE of it slightly scorched.   Sort of like a few charred spots on grilled corn on the cob.  But I think it's been about 5 years since we've had a microwave. 

I  also liked microwave pork rinds.

• Like 1

My wife and I buy the “Great Value - Butter” microwave popcorn at Walmart. It’s actually not bad compared to the higher priced popcorns. 
Take one small envelope, toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes and you basically have a small movie theater bag of popcorn. 
There will always be about a dozen unpopped kernel. When I have tried adding time to pop them all I have burnt my popcorn. 
The 2 minute time is in a 750 watt microwave. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Just saying we have alot less obesity and medical issues before Microwaves, Seed oil margarine  , seed oil for cooking ect . 

That and “diet” soda. 

• Like 1

The Costco brand is excellent in every aspect.
Each bag is much larger than the wimpy ones from the super market.
Taste is first class.

Popcorn is a staple and Food Group in our house.
2:15 in our nuker makes it perfect with nearly every kernel popped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Just saying we have alot less obesity and medical issues before Microwaves, Seed oil margarine  , seed oil for cooking ect . 

There was MUCH LESS obesity and medical issues before the internet and cell phones, not to mention mental acuity.

Far as instant popcorn, I don't like any kind of popcorn...but my gal loves the stuff, Orville Redenbacher's to be exact. Good tasting and not as many "old maids" as she says.

13 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I see it as before everything was bad for you. Stuff like eggs, whole milk, lard, beef, pork, salt, sugar.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly, we have to favor Taint popcorn.... tain't gonna be tonight.
It bugs her IBS and bugs my glucose, so tain't gonna be very often.

On rare occasions, I make "usgusting" popcorn, named by my then 3-year old grand daughter (now 21).
A whole stick of melted salted butter (or more), Jiffy Pop white popcorn, sea salt and Cholula sauce.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:14 AM, bgavin said:

The Costco brand is excellent in every aspect.
Each bag is much larger than the wimpy ones from the super market.
Taste is first class.

Popcorn is a staple and Food Group in our house.
2:15 in our nuker makes it perfect with nearly every kernel popped.

At my house the four basic food groups are sugar, salt, starch, and cholesterol.

• Haha 2

My wife loves the Butter Lovers variety.

Me, I'll dump the bag of popped corn into a big stainless bowl, give it a few shakes of soy sauce, lime pepper and powdered Parmesan cheese, stir or shake until mixed ... one of my few guilty pleasures!

• Like 1