SASS Wire Forum

shot shell cost

Snakebite

When I am ask by new shooters if it is worth it to load your own shotshells. I assume that the person has nothing other than his empty hulls. Everything else must be purchased. I tell them that once they are set up with a loader, powder, primers, wads and shot, and are ready to start loading, it will cost them about HALF of what a new box would cost them.  Whether it is worth it to them or not , I don't know. Do you think that my Ball park cost are correct?

Snakebite

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 4

I also like the convenience of just going down to my room and making what I need, compared to trying to find them available! A MEC 600jr. would be an inexpensive loader to start with.

• Like 3

Here is a cost calculator.  Based on current real world prices and not memories of what things cost five years ago $7.50 a box is a realistic number for reloads.

https://www.losttarget.com/costcal.htm

Numbers I used as a guestimator -

Shot - 7/8 oz

Grains of powder 15

Primers 1000 @ $75.00

Pounds of powder 8 @ $250.00

Number of wads 500 @ $12.00

Shot 25 pounds @ $60.00

Hulls - free

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

If reloading black powder shotshells, then absolutely, unequivocally yes.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I also like the convenience of just going down to my room and making what I need, compared to trying to find them available! A MEC 600jr. would be an inexpensive loader to start with.

The ability to custom load for this sport, or any other, makes the initial investment worth it.  Especially with trying to find commercial rounds for a designated purpose, in the quantity we can go through. 

Without doing current calculations, $7.50 a box feels about right.  Shot being the single most costly component.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I reload all winter in prep for shooting season. With the last 4 years filled with back and hip issues I have reloaded and set aside enough for at least 5 yrs. As to cost I save about half but I have had all the components for the last 20 yrs. your mileage may vary.

Best Wishes

I reload black powder shotgun shells because they are unavailable to me otherwise.  My low-recoil loads cost me $6 less a box than new AA low noise, low recoil shells.  I reload them for that cost saving and because the low noise, low recoil shells are not always available.  Loading for shooting clays only saves me ~$1/box.  I buy promo ammo but am glad I have components on hand for the times when shotgun shells disappear from retailer's shelves.  I load some shells for clays just to use up old stock reloading supplies.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

When I am ask by new shooters if it is worth it to load your own shotshells. I assume that the person has nothing other than his empty hulls. Everything else must be purchased. I tell them that once they are set up with a loader, powder, primers and shot, and are ready to start loading, it will cost them about HALF of what a new box would cost them.  Whether it is worth it to them or not , I don't know. Do you think that my Ball park cost are correct?

Snakebite

You forgot wads... and that estimate is pretty close to my experience, unless you get them on sale, (especially for LNLR Winchesters with their rebate).  If ever given again...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic topic.  I also shoot a lot of skeet and recently re-capped cost to reload my current load with current prices.  Not counting equipment and labor, my cost is $8.19 per box.  For Cowboy loads I use reclaimed shot and slightly less powder charge which brings it down to $8.12 per box.  I've enjoyed reloading since the age of 13, and plan to continue reloading until it becomes cheaper to purchase.  Also, I only us AA hulls as they seem to fall right out of my SxS barells.

I have found that I can reload shotgun shells for about 2/3 the price of new shells.  I can buy the components in bulk when I find a good price and I can tailor the load to suit my needs.  With components on hand, I can make shells as needed.  Not being able to find Remington STS factory shells for a couple of years forced me back into reloading.  I recently bought a Mec 9000 reloading press, so hopefully, it will reduce my hatred of reloading shotgun shells.

i think the OP is correct at least within reason , it depends on how much is spent getting set up and how much they shoot as to how economical it really is - if they buy top of the line reloader and all the powder , primers , wads and such at todays prices the "pay back" may not be realized soon enough , 

however , there is that satisfaction of shooting what you made to your specs and in the quantity you need ,

i cant buy my reloads on the market - thats OK i can make them and im happy with that and the results but , im only above water financially because i started early , i was given reloaders and what i have now was all but given to me for the price , i agree with what you are telling people if they are younger just starting out  ,if  they are older and have limited shooting life im not sure the investment ever gets paid for , but then some of us older shooters have a littlke disposable cash to work with so maybe not a consideration , 

ive gone through four reloaders so far - first a hornaday , then two mecs [ss & progressive] im now on a poncess warn , i dont need that high production but like i said - a price i could not turn down , 

On 2/11/2024 at 10:05 AM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Here is a cost calculator.  Based on current real world prices and not memories of what things cost five years ago $7.50 a box is a realistic number for reloads.

https://www.losttarget.com/costcal.htm

Numbers I used as a guestimator -

Shot - 7/8 oz

Grains of powder 15

Primers 1000 @ $75.00

Pounds of powder 8 @ $250.00

Number of wads 500 @ $12.00

Shot 25 pounds @ $60.00

Hulls - free

All of those numbers seem accurate to me with one change, hulls. If I’m not picky I can get hulls for free, but I am picky, since some hulls shuck more easily than others. I’m paying about $0.08 per hull and get about three reloads per hull before I throw them out. My per box cost is just under $7.50.