SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone else noticed this?

Alpo

I go to buy something from Amazon. Let's say it totals $40. With $40 I get free shipping.

So it tells me that my purchase is $40, and shipping is $6.99, and tax is $2.80, for a total of $49.79.

And then I go down there and I choose free shipping, and it gives me a new price list.

The purchase is $40, the shipping is $12.99, free shipping so -$12.99, tax $2.80 for a total of $42.80.

When I was going to have to pay for shipping shipping was so much money, but when I chose free shipping the shipping charge increased. Then they took the shipping charge away so I didn't have to pay more money, but still it increased.

It doesn't do this every time. Maybe half the time.

Maybe it helps with their taxes. If they charge me $12 for shipping and then they take the $12 away, they can take $12 off their taxes. But if they charge me $7 shipping and then take the $7 off because it's free, they only take $7 off their taxes???

It doesn't hurt me any, but it does puzzle me.

• Like 1

Almost all states now have a mutual agreement to collect taxes for each other ( not all but most ) almost every time I buy something on line now I get charged for VT state tax, 10 years ago you never got charged for tax for anything you bought on line but you know politicians, somebody has to pay for them to sit on their a** and make dumb laws so they all agreed to help each other take our money. It’s the ONLY thing they agree on

• Like 1

I have never paid shipping at Amazon. I just make sure that when I buy something I buy at least $25 worth or at least $35 worth (they flip flop back and forth on that) so I get free shipping.

I haven't seen anything on prime video that is worth paying for, in my opinion.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alpo said:

No, I don't have Amazon prime. They charge money for Amazon prime.

Of course they do. I estimate that with Amazon Prime I save about 3 times what Prime costs in a year, sometimes more. 

• Like 4

Although now the 2 day shipping has been more like 1-2 weeks! I'm currently in to 2 weeks waiting for LiFPo batteries that were shipped the same day I ordered them. Tracking shows nothing on UPS, just that they were shipped "LTL" 

, less than a truck load! The expected date date just moved out every couple days!

9 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Of course they do. I estimate that with Amazon Prime I save about 3 times what Prime costs in a year, sometimes more. 

I use Amazon a lot and I think your estimate is low.

I don't watch many of their videos (get most of mine from the local library network) and once in awhile they charge only what a particular supplier charges for shipping.  That charge is always from a foreign source.

Having an Amazon hub warehouse four miles from my house has seen me get a lot of next day deliveries.  Not often but often enough I see no reason to order things for other sources....like Walmart, Home Depot, etc.... who take from three or four days and more to get a shipment from Phoenix, which is only ninety miles from here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I use Amazon a lot and I think your estimate is low.

I don't watch many of their videos (get most of mine from the local library network) and once in awhile they charge only what a particular supplier charges for shipping.  That charge is always from a foreign source.

Having an Amazon hub warehouse four miles from my house has seen me get a lot of next day deliveries.  Not often but often enough I see no reason to order things for other sources....like Walmart, Home Depot, etc.... who take from three or four days and more to get a shipment from Phoenix, which is only ninety miles from here.

You are probably right, regarding the cost vs savings. 

Something that I think is pretty cool is even though I live in an area with no major cities nearby I still get some things within a day. 

Another thing I have discovered is companies like MidwayUSA are now selling gun related accessories, cleaners and some parts on Amazon. Amazon still won’t sell gun magazines, but grips, sights, stocks, slings, etc are being sold on Amazon.

Might be one is parcel post, the other is UPS 2-day. Or something like that.

In either case, I recall Amazon negotiated better pricing for themselves due to pre-sort, internal shipping before reaching a common carrier, etc. So the prices we see are likely retail value and not what Amazon actually pays.

I have Amazon Prime so almost everything is free shipping, plus I watch an occasional movie.

Edited by John Kloehr

17 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Almost all states now have a mutual agreement to collect taxes for each other ( not all but most ) almost every time I buy something on line now I get charged for VT state tax, 10 years ago you never got charged for tax for anything you bought on line but you know politicians, somebody has to pay for them to sit on their a** and make dumb laws so they all agreed to help each other take our money. It’s the ONLY thing they agree on

As sales shifted from over-the-counter to the internet, states were losing a ton of sales tax revenue.  The federal gov't was kicking around the idea of an "internet sales tax".  Just imagine how that would have turned out.

So, in this case, the states did us a favor with their "mutual agreement".   

Prior to all that Amazon, having nexus in darn near every state in the union, was collecting sales tax anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Ditto. 

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Although now the 2 day shipping has been more like 1-2 weeks! I'm currently in to 2 weeks waiting for LiFPo batteries that were shipped the same day I ordered them. Tracking shows nothing on UPS, just that they were shipped "LTL" 

, less than a truck load! The expected date date just moved out every couple days!

Let me guess, you get a notification that "a shipping label has been generated."

That doesn't mean that the goods have even been pulled from stock.  Likely it's just the label has been put in a Work Order Packet.

When it actually gets pulled, boxed, and shipped it will go out 2 day.

• Like 1

I use Amazon on a daily basis. 

I never pay shipping with a Prime account. 

And as Pat Riot has already stated .

It's paid for itself several times over .

Hell I dropped my 120.00 a month cable bill and switched to Amazon fire stick and that alone has saved me over 1000.00 a year .

Rooster 

• Like 3