SASS Wire Forum

How much powder is enough?

So downsizing after finally retiring. 

SWMBO wants to travel and do nature photography in exotic places. Already been to Africa, Costa Rica, Israel, Alaska, plans for Australia and Brazil. she just got back from Panama.

Looks like my shooting is going to take a back seat so cleaned out the garage and man cave and found powders beyond my expected use. 

All have been stored in old hospital blast containing lockers or inside house closets.

I typically shoot about 10-12 thousand rounds per year but have about a 3 maybe 4 year supply of powder. 

Too much? Not enough? Just right?

What do you keep around?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

You have it paid for.  You won’t buy it that cheap again. You have good storage and, apparently ample space.

As my dad used to say about things like this, “It ain’t eatin’ nothin’!”

I have more then I will ever use in ,

Powder , Primers , Percussion Caps & Lead. I'm selling NOTHING  !

You will never find it again for what you already paid for it 

So Saith The Rooster 

55 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

It doesn't go bad, so sell it at age 95

And have a good trip.  Don't worry about us. :D

im going on record here saying never - ever sell the powder you bought cheap - shoot it all ,, your not going to buy it reasonable ever again , ,load it and shoot it , never give it away or sell it off , it doesnt take up that much space save it for your future , 

I have sold small quantities of powder, shot and primers to leaders (club officers and match directors) whom I wanted to keep shooting.  This was only for supplies that were entirely unavailable otherwise at the time.  When available locally or online I point them to retail sources.  Most recently I sold a 25-lb bag of shot to our webmaster who lives in a remote community and was having trouble replenishing his supply.  

11 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I have sold small quantities of powder, shot and primers to leaders (club officers and match directors) whom I wanted to keep shooting.  This was only for supplies that were entirely unavailable otherwise at the time.  When available locally or online I point them to retail sources.  Most recently I sold a 25-lb bag of shot to our webmaster who lives in a remote community and was having trouble replenishing his supply.  

I have donated powder Primers  Percussion Caps and .22 Ammo .

Too Friends who was out and supplies was not available at that time .

And told them when supplies become available again buy me what ever I donated to you .

I think it's wrong to gouge a Pard who just wants to shoot too .

Rooster 

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I have donated powder Primers  Percussion Caps and .22 Ammo .

Too Friends who was out and supplies was not available at that time .

And told them when supplies become available again buy me what ever I donated to you .

I think it's wrong to gouge a Pard who just wants to shoot too .

Rooster 

Done the same for a long time. I have been told my OCD has contributed to being a bit of a pack rat and my desire for a “deal” means I buy when on sale sometimes more than I really need. All of which means I sometimes have supplies others don’t. As several have suggested it is more fun to shoot with friends than by myself so sharing what I have with those who don’t is okay by me (hopefully somewhere down the line they can be returned). If they don’t come back, at least we had a good time shooting together. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I try to keep 40 pounds of my sg/pistol powder. Only one pounders I buy are for hunting rounds. Don't shoot as much as I did. Maybe I'll become excited about shooting when or if I retire in a couple years.

I was stocked up enough that I made it through this last shortage okay, but was getting very low on some things.  I am now stocked up more than I have ever been because those shortages suck.

edit: it's kind of like concealed carry.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :)

Archived