SASS Wire Forum

SHOT Show Debuts

Pat Riot

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Ummmm….no.  Looks like a Henry action and ugly too. 

There’s this thread over on the Wire:

• Like 1

Thanks. 
I am not interested in the S&W 1854. 
One thing I am curious about. Why does every new lever gun that comes out in a pistol cartridge caliber it’s always .44 magnum. Why not .45 Colt or .357 Magnum?  
It’s a selfish thing I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Henry has a new Lever Gun. The “Supreme”.

I like it, except it’s not in a cartridge I like. It’s coming out in .223 and .300 Blackout. 

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2024/01/22/shot-show-2024-henrys-new-lever-action-supreme-rifle/

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Henry has a new Lever Gun. The “Supreme”.

I like it, except it’s not in a cartridge I like. It’s coming out in .223 and .300 Blackout. 

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2024/01/22/shot-show-2024-henrys-new-lever-action-supreme-rifle/

I like that, thanks!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Thanks. 
I am not interested in the S&W 1854. 
One thing I am curious about. Why does every new lever gun that comes out in a pistol cartridge caliber it’s always .44 magnum. Why not .45 Colt or .357 Magnum?  
It’s a selfish thing I guess. 

I’m guessing .44 mag has more marketing appeal, perhaps a holdover from Dirty Harry movies. .45 Colt just sounds old and .44 Mag must be better than .357 mag, because bigger is always better, right? 

• Thanks 1

• Pat Riot changed the title to S&W Shot Show Debuts

The .44 Mag is a popular option for those hunting Jan/Feb season with straight-wall cartridges.

My question is why 9+1 when 95+% of CAS stages require ten shots?

Very poor market research if you ask me...

• Like 1

Aha! A new revolver!  :D

Wasn’t aware of this company making handguns. 

SDR REVOLVER: DIAMONDBACK INTROS NEW SNUB-NOSE .357 MAGNUM

https://www.guns.com/news/2024/01/17/sdr-revolver-diamondback-intros-new-snub-nose-357-magnum

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

The .44 Mag is a popular option for those hunting Jan/Feb season with straight-wall cartridges.

My question is why 9+1 when 95+% of CAS stages require ten shots?

Very poor market research if you ask me...

I really don’t think SASS is in the minds of gun manufacturers like it was years ago. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I really don’t think SASS is in the minds of gun manufacturers like it was years ago. 

Agreed, but on the other hand adding just enough barrel and magazine tube length to get 10 rounds in the tube is a minor cost and potentially opens up another market.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Agreed, but on the other hand adding just enough barrel and magazine tube length to get 10 rounds in the tube is a minor cost and potentially opens up another market.

I wonder if it will cycle .44 Special and if so perhaps 10 of those would fit. 

• Like 1

• Pat Riot changed the title to SHOT Show Debuts
50 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I wonder if it will cycle .44 Special and if so perhaps 10 of those would fit. 

Answering my own question here. 

I found the 1854 manual online. 
On page 12 it says the new rifle will handle “most .44 Special ammunition “.

https://assets.contentstack.io/v3/assets/bltb61dcb3c40854cd9/blt8ca1e904363f72c9/65aabee61e1aedb452fd4ddd/S&W_LAR_Manual_120523_3015918.pdf

Also, it’s obvious to me that S&W copied the Marlin 336 and or the Henry Big Boy. 
Look at the unloading and takedown procedures in the above linked manual. 

2 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I'm old school. I like pretty wood and polished blue in my lever guns.....

image.thumb.png.e48415a330482f86d5afa48b1f90f73e.png

This is about New Stuff, not really cool vintage stuff. ;)

The All New Winchester Ranger .22!

Now this might be worth a look. 
SCROLL

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/new-rifles-of-shot-show-2024/

Actually, there are several neat new rifles in that link. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 2

posted info on this above, but I have to admit, this is a sharp looking revolver. 

Diamondback SDR Diamondback had its new .357 SDR revolver on the shooting line. Coined the Self-Defense Revolver for its size and power, this small hand cannon is one of the lightest single-action/double-action six-shot .357 magnums on the market at just 1.3 pounds. (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

Some good info on that revolver here. I do believe I want one. 
https://diamondbackfirearms.com/sdr/

There are some other nice ones in this link, including the Winchester Ranger .22 mentioned above. 
https://www.guns.com/news/2024/01/23/shot-show-2024-range-day-new-guns

Edited by Pat Riot

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

posted info on this above, but I have to admit, this is a sharp looking revolver. 

Diamondback SDR Diamondback had its new .357 SDR revolver on the shooting line. Coined the Self-Defense Revolver for its size and power, this small hand cannon is one of the lightest single-action/double-action six-shot .357 magnums on the market at just 1.3 pounds. (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

There are some other nice ones in this link, including the Winchester Ranger .22 mentioned above. 
https://www.guns.com/news/2024/01/23/shot-show-2024-range-day-new-guns

i like the look of that , 

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

i like the look of that , 

I do too. I haven’t found any shooting reviews of it yet. 

20 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Wasn’t aware of this company making handguns

Remember the high standard double nine? Double action 22 revolver that looked like a single action?

Diamondback has been making that thing for a couple years now. What's old is New again.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:14 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m guessing .44 mag has more marketing appeal, perhaps a holdover from Dirty Harry movies. .45 Colt just sounds old and .44 Mag must be better than .357 mag, because bigger is always better, right? 

Hunting boar, deer, etc usually is more successful with .44mag, but I have a friend who loves .45 Colt and continues to bombard me with articles about .45 Colt abilities.   Perhaps the other reason is the “tactical” rifle perspective, and most view .44 mag as tactical round. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I have handled and shot their semi auto pistols.

Aint a chance that I would want their revolver offerings.

Diamondback will make you look at Kel Tec with a positive opinion.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Remember the high standard double nine? Double action 22 revolver that looked like a single action?

Diamondback has been making that thing for a couple years now. What's old is New again.

yes , i was aware of that - dont have one of theirs i have the original histandard tho , avtually know someone that worked for diamondback back before they were sold , this is one of their offerings i would actually like to try and maybe buy , 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I have handled and shot their semi auto pistols.

Aint a chance that I would want their revolver offerings.

Diamondback will make you look at Kel Tec with a positive opinion.

You’ve shot their revolvers?

I look at any newer company like this. Ruger started off with a .22 semiauto. Look where they are now.

Davis Defense started off making AR butt stock tube collars with sling loops. 
Glock started off making knives and other things out of polymer for the Austrian army. 

I think I will wait and see how reviews go on it before tossing the idea in the trash. 

And KelTec makes some decent guns as far as I can tell. I have owned a couple that have been wonderfully reliable b

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

You’ve shot their revolvers?

I look at any newer company like this. Ruger started off with a .22 semiauto. Look where they are now.

Davis Defense started off making AR butt stock tube collars with sling loops. 
Glock started off making knives and other things out of polymer for the Austrian army. 

I think I will wait and see how reviews go on it before tossing the idea in the trash. 

And KelTec makes some decent guns as far as I can tell. I have owned a couple that have been wonderfully reliable b

All of the companies you list started out making a quality product and transferred that quality mindset forward as they expanded.

Obviously, I've not shot their revolvers yet.

But I have handled, sold and fired examples of their gun making.

Based on those experiences - I can make some reasonable assumptions.

I may have to eat crow when the Diamondback turns out to be built like a Ruger, perform like a Smith and be as collectible as a Colt.

But I wont be surprised when I'm right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

But I wont be surprised when I'm right.

I guess we’ll see. I don’t think I have actually seen any of the guns they sell. 

On 1/22/2024 at 5:48 PM, Pat Riot said:

Well, there's the new Taurus Deputy....  :rolleyes:

Not a bad looking revolver ~ MSRP $606.98.  I hope it does better than their Gaucho, produced from '05 to '07.  :huh:

image.thumb.png.0bedcd488d15b6919d6e49cf357eeaa7.png          image.thumb.png.58d7d501d578d87c8ee9519c7c8ab570.png

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 3:16 PM, Warden Callaway said:

I pulled most all these links. Went to YouTube and searched.  Looked like a freak show. Nothing for me. 

I'm with you. As far as I am concerned all that modern stuff shown above is CRAP. Give me a '60, '66, or '73 in 44-40 shooting black powder. Just my opinion.

Lucky :D

Back to diamondback.

Did you see their new " 21ST CENTURY TOMMY GUN"?

They took an AR. They replaced the plastic AR pistol grip with a wood pistol grip with the same shape from a Thompson submachine gun. They attached a vertical forearm on the barrel shroud, also wouldWOOD, also shaped like from a Thompson submachine gun. And they put a drum in the magazine well of the AR.

IT'S THE NEW TOMMY GUN OF THE 21ST CENTURY!!!!!

No, it's an AR with wood stocks, in 9 mm.

IMG_8438-768x576.jpg.webp.6a225b9751b05d18035401dc2bd75b48.webp

Edited by Alpo
otto needs to learn about homophones
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1