SASS Wire Forum

Some doozie ads from the past...

Dang!  I spent my tender years in American Motors cars. 1948 to 1958 in Dad's Hudson Commodore 6;  1958 to 1962 in his Rambler Typhoon, 1962 to 1968 in my Rambler American that got me through college and the 1st year of employment.  The American Motors dealer lived across the street from us and gave Dad remarkable deals!!

Actually, they were pretty decent cars.

A Vet College classmate did quite well racing his Gremlin.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I had one of these when I was 8.

image.thumb.jpeg.878bf810f5d90b24950206265c105acf.jpeg

My brother and I both had one of those when they first came out. It was sound powered by a spring wound "tape" of some kind that you wound up with the charging handle by pulling it back multiple times. The mechanism wore out after about 5 months of heavy use. We had the coolest guns for playing "Army" in the neighborhood.

• Like 3

I had something like this. Mine was an M3 grease gun, wellWHILE this looks more like a Thompson with the stock removed. However

7b9a2d715bd17b7997848a2f01c6128d.jpg

You pull back the cocking handle, and when you pull the trigger the cocking handle would go forward and it would make a powpowpowpowpow noise.

Notice the red thing at the muzzle. This was before that stupid law about having a red muzzle on a toy gun so you can tell it is a toy. That thing would move in and out while it was firing. It was the muzzle flash.

Very cool.

Edited by Alpo
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I had something like this. Mine was an M3 grease gun, wellWHILE this looks more like a Thompson with the stock removed. However

7b9a2d715bd17b7997848a2f01c6128d.jpg

You pull back the cocking handle, and when you pull the trigger the cocking handle would go forward and it would make a powpowpowpowpow noise.

Notice the red thing at the muzzle. This was before that stupid law about having a red muzzle on a toy gun so you can tell it is a toy. That thing would move in and out while it was firing. It was the muzzle flash.

Very cool.

The M16's that we had had the same thing. I never liked it. I thought it looked dumb and it gave your position away in the bushes, trees...everything I was young enough to hide in and wait for the hapless "enemy" to get in sight.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

My brother and I both had one of those when they first came out. It was sound powered by a spring wound "tape" of some kind that you wound up with the charging handle by pulling it back multiple times. The mechanism wore out after about 5 months of heavy use. We had the coolest guns for playing "Army" in the neighborhood.

Sorry. After I read your post I realized that I had a different one. Mine took a couple of D batteries. 
Mine was the Marx M16. I also got the lever action Western Rifle after my Uncle Tom destroyed my M16. He was sleeping on the couch when I ran through the living room firing my M16. He awoke and jumped behind the couch then when he realized it was just me he took the rifle and busted it in half. He was just back from Vietnam. 
Later he apologized and bought me the Marx Western Rifle. 

image.jpeg.062c5ef04d2fcf5ec4a649a4429df080.jpeg

• Like 4

It was mid 70s and newspapers were doing away with lead and computerizing. I went to the Eugene Register Guard in Eugene, Oregon, to help with some of the software. The computer office had an ad thumbtacked on the wall. It had been printed in the paper and reprinted in Playboy, a misprinted Dial soap ad, you remember I’m sure, “around the clock protection”.

I asked if that was a problem for the paper. No, it’s “proof to customer “, meaning the customer had approved the proof copy.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My college roommate had a Rambler with laydown seats, its a miracle the population did not explode.

Imis

Edited by Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

My college roommate has a Rambler with laydown seats, its a miracle the population did not explode.

Imis

It wasn't me, but I did have a 1962 Rambler station wagon, with the seats that went down. All ya needed was a girl that...never mind. :rolleyes:  It had an inline six, and pushbutton shift. At 22,000 miles the head (cast iron, not aluminum) cracked across the #3 cylinder! Fortunately, was covered by the 3-year 30K mile warranty. Kept it for three more years, and bought a '65 Ford Ranch Wagon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

My college roommate had a Rambler with laydown seats, its a miracle the population did not explode.

Imis

American Motors wasn’t Chevy or Ford, otherwise it might have been another baby boom boom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1