SASS Wire Forum

S&W Safety Shooting Glasses - Cancer Warning

The California Prop. 65 warning is practically useless.  Some moron tried to make coffee products carry Prop 65 warnings.  Fortunately the case came before a judge that could think and ruled, in effect, that it wasn't likely that anyone could drink the 50 gallons (or other insanely large quantity) of coffee to encounter any cancer risk. 

I've seen Prop 65 warnings on micrometers, calipers, bars of Aluminum, bars of steel, and lumber.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OMG! 

Buckshot!

YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!

Subdeacon, should we take up a collection for flowers?

Poor buckshot.

So young.

Tragic.

If only he hadn't worn those deadly glasses!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

OMG! 

Buckshot!

YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!

Subdeacon, should we take up a collection for flowers?

Poor buckshot.

So young.

Tragic.

If only he hadn't worn those deadly glasses!

And from all the bad things I did in my lifetime.....bloody SAFETY GLASSES got me !!!!!!!!

:D:lol::lol:

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The California Prop. 65 warning is practically useless.  Some moron tried to make coffee products carry Prop 65 warnings.  Fortunately the case came before a judge that could think and ruled, in effect, that it wasn't likely that anyone could drink the 50 gallons (or other insanely large quantity) of coffee to encounter any cancer risk. 

I've seen Prop 65 warnings on micrometers, calipers, bars of Aluminum, bars of steel, and lumber.  

Seems the state itself needs the warning.:ph34r:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is very important. Heed those warnings. Outer ear cancer is no laughing matter. In particular if it spreads to the lobes. If it gets in your ear lobes you’re done for. 

• Haha 4

While any cancer is bad, some worse than others, Prop 65 warnings are useless.

A prop 65 warning today means the product is -- or might at some point -- be sold in California. The notice might mean there is a cancer risk, but it for sure means the company is not going to keep separate inventory for California and the rest of the world nor will it risk getting sued for causing someone's cancer because it did not give California a square inch of package label space.

Just like product expirations. Dried beans are good for far more than two years, but some east coast state passed a law that no product expiration could be more than two years. So any product which might be sold there would have a two year expiration date  no matter where it was actually sold. Beans in Oregon, California, and even here in Tennessee have a two year expiration date.

I have not looked, I wonder if beans good for only two years are known to the state of California to cause cancer.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

All joking aside.....why is it on there?

If it was on something like ...I don't know say some sunscreen that had a known carcinogenic additive then I could understand, but doesn't putting it on everything dilute the message to such an extent that everyone would just ignore whatever its on?

Has someone made a fortune out of this????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

....but doesn't putting it on everything dilute the message to such an extent that everyone would just ignore whatever its on?

Of course, but it costs manufacturers nothing to print it somewhere on the package along with everything else. So it will be found on things such as those glasses that have no relation to the 'purpose'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

joking aside.....why is it on there?

I had to figure it out for work a few years ago.   If for some reason you were to sand, file, grind, the frame or lenses, or do anything else that might generate dust or smoke from them there is a tiny chance that inhalation or ingestion of the dust or smoke might cause cancer.

That's why it's on things like calipers, wrenches, bars of aluminum and steel.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Last question pards, is this ONLY in California so far?

Proposition 65 is ONLY California.  Other states may have some equally stupid requirements, but CA is by far the most stupiderous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, California and Canada compare notes and appear to be trying to out-do one another for the most idiotic regulations.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Sadly, California and Canada compare notes and appear to be trying to out-do one another for the most idiotic regulations.

I'm worried we could do the same :(

• Sad 2

Do you think they consult with one another as to who can come up with the worst or most idiotic measure?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Do you think they consult with one another as to who can come up with the worst or most idiotic measure?

Its often crossed my mind including our New Zealand cousins. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Seems the state itself needs the warning.:ph34r:

They'd put  a warning on the warning.  California has been out of touch with reality for years and they have a huge number of public employees with nothing to do but screw around with things like warning labels on anyjhing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

While any cancer is bad, some worse than others, Prop 65 warnings are useless.

I disagree. The state wants to make money from it. 

Soon there will be tariffs or fees to import Prop 65 products into the state of CA. The state just needs to find a work-around to the Interstate Commerce clause. 
The state of CA is very patient about their goals of complete domination of the masses and influencing the rest of the country. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I'm worried we could do the same :(

I'm afraid that your government already has.  The most obvious example is reflected in hte pistol powder shortage y'all are experiencing.

19 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

All joking aside.....why is it on there?

If it was on something like ...I don't know say some sunscreen that had a known carcinogenic additive then I could understand, but doesn't putting it on everything dilute the message to such an extent that everyone would just ignore whatever its on?

Has someone made a fortune out of this????

I voted against Prop 65 because I knew that the warning signs on entrances to businesses & label on every product will eventually be so ubiquitous that only wack jobs will even see them..  The labels on most products are to prevent lawsuits like the safety labels on ladders.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I'm afraid that your government already has.  The most obvious example is reflected in hte pistol powder shortage y'all are experiencing.

Our government hasn't been the cause of any component shortages here Dave. 

pretty much the case - the warnings show up on most everything because mfgrs want to do business in CA , wonder what will happen when everyone with money leaves the state and only looters remain to consume their products ? 

• Like 1