SASS Wire Forum

Using fur for warmth

Alpo

In books about Indians, they sleep under furs in the winter. I'm currently rereading the Cave Bear series, and they sleep under furs. Heck, John Carter of Mars had sleeping silks and furs.

So if you're using fur to keep warm, is it better to have the fur to the outside - to the weather? Or have the leather on the outside and the fur next to your body?

Usually when someone makes a coat of fur, the fur is to the outside. It just seems like it would be warmer with the fur to the inside.

But having lived in the South most of my life I've never used fur. Just - wondering - about it.

I had a buffalo coat a long time ago with the fur on the inside and it got uncomfortably hot in a hurry. I’ve had a couple of them since then with the fur to the outside and even when the outside temperature gets warmer the coat is still comfortable to wear. When I camp in my casita the buffalo coat is on the bed fur side up and keeps me just right.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I had a buffalo coat a long time ago with the fur on the inside and it got uncomfortably hot in a hurry. I’ve had a couple of them since then with the fur to the outside and even when the outside temperature gets warmer the coat is still comfortable to wear. When I camp in my casita the buffalo coat is on the bed fur side up and keeps me just right.

...and that must be why animals put their fur on the outside rather than growing it on the inside!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

J Bar’s logic is FLAWLESS!! :rolleyes: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

back n the 70s i had a sheepskin coat like mcclouds , it was very arm and wish i still had it , fur was to the inside , but ......if your looking for style the fur is out for fox . bever, mink and such 

2 minutes ago, watab kid said:

back n the 70s i had a sheepskin coat like mcclouds

I didn't even think about that, when I was thinking of fur. I've got one of those Marlboro Man coats.

Fandangopracticeshotgun.jpg.7aaa728f46820fe12486c251cbb75378.jpg

And it is warm.

• Like 1

that was the most comfortable winter coats i ever owned , i wish i still had it , the leather side was very nice as well - that was the visible side , 

i also had a leather version of the jean jacket back then , i wore both a lot and never should have parted with either of them , 

A comfortable coat or jacket is a true joy.  Replace the ones you miss.  Life is short.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

I knew a furry little girl once...She was very warm....My younger days....

Texas Lizard

That was before they looked like billiard balls.....

She might be hard to replace at our age.

And... what's wrong with billiard balls:lol:?

• Haha 1

Watching Black Angus cattle in pasture this morning with snow and ice on their backs.  Must be some good thermal barrier as it's right at freezing. 

What I can't understand is bald or men with no hair going without some kind of cover in cold weather.  I've got a thin spot and I have to have a lite stocking cap on in anything less than room temperature. 

• Like 3

My buffalo coat felt really good out at the Escondido Bandidos match today, along came 9:00 and sunshine it got hung on my gun cart.

Not today, but you get the idea.

IMG_0630.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What I can't understand is bald or men with no hair going without some kind of cover in cold weather.  I've got a thin spot and I have to have a lite stocking cap on in anything less than room temperature.

The best part about going bald is getting to elevate my hat game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

The best part about going bald is getting to elevate my hat game.

Mary's youngest brother is bald slick on top. Bald in his early 20s.  With his cap on you wouldn't suspect because otherwise he has dark hair.  In his 50s now. When he takes his hat off it's a still a  shock.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

My buffalo coat felt really good out at the Escondido Bandidos match today, along came 9:00 and sunshine it got hung on my gun cart.

Not today, but you get the idea.

IMG_0630.jpeg

Very fly, my man!!

• Haha 1

im not going out to shoot in this weather but i commend you on your efforts , a warm coat would be a must to get me to even visit a bit , i do still have a down parka tho , 

Got a Scully fringed pig skin leather jacket.  It has a silk-like lining. Over the close to 25 years in California I have added decorations in the form of beads and conchos.  The front doesn't overlap when you close it and the collar was bare leather.

My first winter in Arizona I found  a pair of matching coyote tails, sewed them together at the base and wrapped then in a beaded sleeve.  The I put a thong on them where they joined, made a hole in the neck of the jacket with a large button on the inside, and a couple of tie down thongs on the front to attach them to the buttons (conchos).  I now have a detachable fur collar and just got another coyote tail and am in the course of finding an equally easy way to hook it up to close the open fly.

It's really surprisingly warm except for the open front fly which should be done in a few weeks..... and I've had people follow me down the street to ask about it.

About a year ago I picked up a very reasonably priced beaver trappers cap with a leather bill and NO for tail.  They also sell mittens, but I'm holding off on that....for now.  It has a fold away ear and neck flap, but I may do away with that.

The combination is very snuggy warm and only needs some fur botas for my legs.  I have a pattern to make them, too, but am still looking for the fur.

Oh, yeah, The wife of a friend made me a trader blanket capote that fits perfectly over the Scully jacket.

It has a single button and and a sash and utwraps around, has a triangular hood that folds flat across the shoulders when you don't use it as a hood, and a couple of humongous patch pockets.

That's for really cold weather........ like if I ever visit Finnland or someplace similar.  :P

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

Years ago I went to a party and there was a whole lotta drinkin’ goin’ on.

I woke up warm and cozy next to this girl on a bearskin rug.  Actually we were in it wrapped up like an enchilada. Boy, there’s nothing like that feeling…and the next feeling. 
Who the heck is she and where’d this bearskin rug come from and why are we in our underwear?

She woke up a moment later and gave me the prettiest smile and said “Good morning” in the softest melt your heart voice and then “Boing!” Her eyes got wide and she said “What the hell is going on?”

It turns out I passed out in a chair. She passed out on the couch. Our friends decided to have some fun with us. The guys undressed me. The girls undressed her. And then they put us on the bear rug from the den and rolled us up in it. 
When everyone else woke up she and I were fully dressed making coffee. They thought it was pretty hilarious. 
The girl was very good natured about it. I did recall from the night before that I was telling a friend “How can someone that cute be so annoying?”

The pairing went nowhere. She wasn’t into me and I wasn’t into her, but she was very pretty and very warm. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Got a Scully fringed pig skin leather jacket.  It has a silk-like lining. Over the close to 25 years in California I have added decorations in the form of beads and conchos.  The front doesn't overlap when you close it and the collar was bare leather.

My first winter in Arizona I found  a pair of matching coyote tails, sewed them together at the base and wrapped then in a beaded sleeve.  The I put a thong on them where they joined, made a hole in the neck of the jacket with a large button on the inside, and a couple of tie down thongs on the front to attach them to the buttons (conchos).  I now have a detachable fur collar and just got another coyote tail and am in the course of finding an equally easy way to hook it up to close the open fly.

It's really surprisingly warm except for the open front fly which should be done in a few weeks..... and I've had people follow me down the street to ask about it.

About a year ago I picked up a very reasonably priced beaver trappers cap with a leather bill and NO for tail.  They also sell mittens, but I'm holding off on that....for now.  It has a fold away ear and neck flap, but I may do away with that.

The combination is very snuggy warm and only needs some fur botas for my legs.  I have a pattern to make them, too, but am still looking for the fur.

Alrighty then.  Coyote tails aren't going to work.  They are too bulky to be practical so I'll save this one for something else.

Now I need a 6" x 24" piece of fur for the fly closure.  I can use (and prefer) coyote, but can use beaver, bobcat, raccoon, etc.  Going to check out Crazy Crow for whatever they might have.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:14 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

They taste funny.

oh - i so wanted to say that but i tried really hard not to enter this discussion , so many things to say and so many reasons not to , 

• Haha 2