SASS Wire Forum

Compact Pistol Caliber Carbines

Folding, take down or other compact without a tax stamp pistol caliber carbines. 

What do you look for or shy away from?  Why are those features of value or not?

This thread was inspired by a KelTech Sub2K gen3 advertisement.  Seeing the rotating front half to allow rail mounted optics like the S&W FPC and Ruger PC takedown can.  Shipping without factory sights which the first two generations had.  

Screenshot_20240101-204111_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240101-204143_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Like 1

I have the Ruger PC Carbine takedown.  It is the Backpacker model.  Compact, fun, takes Glock mags & the optic stays in place.  I also have the Ruger PC Charger pistol.  Same as carbine except no buttstock & a pistol length barrel.  More compact & would be really nice with a folding arm brace if allowed.  A buddy has a S&W M&P FPC - folding pistol carbine.  It is built on their pistol chassis & is a hoot to shoot also.  The only downside is it only uses S&W mags.  

Edited by Zeb Gray, #36839

Great get me home Truck gun. With a couple Glock happy sticks and your good to go .

Be the Wolf not the sheep !

Screenshot_20220402-145435.thumb.png.d26acbcdefab1ee17c386f95205d8d47.png

38 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I have a Ruger PCC and a TNW. I like the TNW better it is more compact and only weighs about 5 lbs. Both are 9 mm.

and take the Glock mags.

kR

What’s a “TNW”?

I have a Ruger PC Carbine. It’s 6.8 pounds. I bought mine when they first came on the market. 
It looks like this:

6.8 pounds in factory condition. The Magpul stocked models are 6.2 pounds. Seriously considering a Magpul Backpacker stock. 

IMG_5839.thumb.jpeg.1cc35b7b93c69bfe95dd52565951335c.jpeg

Factory front sight and Odin Works “Atlas 9” muzzle brake. Anyone that tells you a muzzle brake does not help on a 9mm does not know what they’re talking about. The brake keeps me on target when rapid firing. 

IMG_5840.thumb.jpeg.c118239c3a1aa3bb27dede4edf77279d.jpeg

Factory rear sight. Sig Sauer “Romeo 5” 2 MOS red dot sight with American Defense low QD picatinny mount.

IMG_5841.thumb.jpeg.ebc8a0a6b7be0bbd738de70254a83387.jpeg

MCARBO cheek pad helps with red dot sight aiming but does not hinder iron sight use. 

IMG_5842.thumb.jpeg.39989b3d710e36dd17bc33593952a0cc.jpeg

Savior Take Down rifle bag. Can be carried like a backpack. 

IMG_5843.thumb.jpeg.bf6d08c8187cafb0e5b39cc83bc8b93d.jpeg

Pockets for each half of the gun. I can store 6 mags in the slots under the magazine shown. Cargo pouches on front of bag hold more mags, ammo and other essentials. 

IMG_5844.thumb.jpeg.beb95ec95abe2ef4e90fdf060792f228.jpeg

Internally I have installed; MCARBO recoil buffer and spring, receiver pins, and I replaced plastic spring keeper with a stainless one. I have an MCARBO bolt release (not installed yet)

If I didn’t have Glocks and had S&W M&P pistols I may have purchased their FPC carbine. At this time Glock does not have a carbine so the Ruger will do just fine. It has been 100% reliable from the start. 

I considered buying an AR 9mm before purchasing the Ruger, but after doing lots of research, the glowing reviews of AR9s simply amounted to “I have one and so should you and they’re 100% reliable if you don’t shoot them”. To be fair my research was done a few years ago. There may be some now that are more reliable. 
The Ruger, S&W FPC, KelTec SUB2000 and the Henry Homesteader were all built as 9mm carbines. They’re all pretty reliable, from what I have read. They weren’t adaptations of a rifle caliber gun converted to pistol caliber gun.

Good Luck in your quest. 

• Like 2

Well, I am not sure you can call them "carbines," as they are legally pistols, but there is this by Chiappa in .44 Magnum...

MaresLeg.jpg.5e70570492171017feb64888b35e858a.jpg

Or, AWA made this in .45 Colt, but they are super rare.  Less than 20 were made, as far as I can gather, and that's probably a high estimate...

LightningBolt.jpg.8b132752ca01a881629f3a6a7fa1061f.jpg

Or, if you wanna make your own, this is an Uberti, .44-40, 16" barrel, and even with the butt the way it is, its overall length is still over the minimum length, so no tax stamp needed.  It's just a rifle with a really short length of pull.  I guess THIS could be considered a carbine...

73MaresLeg.jpg.2ce8ddfb23bc8f10d2eb9a9a2dcfa3ff.jpg

And if you want a shotgun, Chiappa makes this little number...

TerminatorShotgun.jpg.9a0b9e7d6839b58ba7604df1ea36d373.jpg

Not SASS Legal, but fun to shoot!  

• Like 2

I have a Diamondback DB9R, 16 1/2 rifle. Not a compact or a folder, they make them. It uses Glock 32 rd happy sticks also. I have been impressed with this PCC.

Imis

16 hours ago, Wild Eagle said:

You looking for suggestions with or without a tax stamp?  Lots of choices once you get rid of the 16" barrel requirement.  I think there are a couple of bullpups too.

No tax stamp for me.  Had not thought about bullpups, that is a good idea.  

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Probably this

https://www.tnwfirearms.com/

Yeah, I never heard of them before either

Thank you. Nifty looking carbines. I thought it was odd that I couldn’t find info on their magazines or even a price on them. 
EDIT: Ah, I just found Magazine info. They say “Glock style” magazines except for .22s, they use a Remington mag. 

11 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Years ago they converted ma deuces to be tax stamp free semi autos.  They were cheaper to buy and much cheaper to operate.

Thank you. I just read that in their “About Us” page. 

Edited by Pat Riot

48 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Pat Riot can you thread a charging handle in both sides of the Ruger bolt at the same time?

Hmmm…I really don’t know. 

It appears that you could.

IMG_5874.thumb.jpeg.1d55ba89ea5171df010c6a4d2b329bf4.jpeg

EDIT: Making that photo set above shows me that I need to blank off those threads so they don’t get rusty or dinged up somehow. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Years ago they converted ma deuces to be tax stamp free semi autos.  They were cheaper to buy and much cheaper to operate.

They also took those sub machine parts kit and built ATF approved pistol caliber semi-auto guns out of them.  The Finnish M31 Suomi was one of those guns and I think they did one of the Russian ones in 7.62x25

M31, drums were $25.00 and 36 round stick magazines were $15.95.  Shoots pretty good once you tweak the magazine feed lips a little.  :)

th.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Pat Riot can you thread a charging handle in both sides of the Ruger bolt at the same time?

Yes you can.         Wanted to mount brass catcher (greatest device for PCC) and had to switch operating handle to left side            GW

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Yes you can.         Wanted to mount brass catcher (greatest device for PCC) and had to switch operating handle to left side            GW

I like my bolt handle on the left. I am right handed. My right hand never moves away from the trigger when reloading. 
Thanks for the tip with the brass catcher. :)

• Like 2

Buying the brass catcher was good and bad.    Not picking brass anymore BUT getting expensive because I don't have to pick brass anymore.      GW

• Haha 1