SASS Wire Forum

Henry 22 vs Rossi Rio Bravo 22

4 Mile Drifter

I'm planning to buy my grandson a rifle for his birthday. I'd like to get him a lever action with the hopes that it might lead him down the CAS road in the future. I know Henry's reputation (I've got a Big Boy in 38/357).  Not great CAS guns but reliable and  sturdy.  I don't know anything about the Rossi Rio Bravo and hope y'all can provide some insight and point me in the right direction. Thanks.

No comparison .

Henry  100%  much  better  action design  .

I bought all three of my Grandsons Henry Rifles .

If you buy them the Youth model, 

The have a shorter length of pull .

And Henry will sell you a full length stock at a discount latter to fit the kids as they get bigger .

I know your question relates to being able to reliably compare the two guns, which I cannot. I can pile on to the previous posts, though, to state that my 12yo son has been shooting a Henry in CAS for three years now, with untold thousands of rounds on steel and it has been flawless. He’s about to graduate to 38s, and the thought of giving up his Henry is his one concern. He’ll prob move to 38 revolvers but keep shooting his Henry for a bit because he’s so confident with it.   Hope this helps in your quest. 

Bless you for passing down the tradition to your grandson.  

JJ

I ain't much familiar with the Rossi, but I can vouch for the Henry.

Its nice from the box....... BUT, it can be modified to be as slick, fast and reliable as any .22

you've ever fired.  PLUS, it can be short stroked to eliminate about 1.25" from the lever travel arch.

I vote:  HENRY

..........Widder

The Henry... for all reasons listed above. I have a Widdermatic Henry .22 and it is simply too much fun...

Love the Henry .22's

Big Boy not so much.   

Great .22 for SASS. 

Have 5 Golden Boys (bought one for each grandson when they were born)

and have one for me.

Grandson got started in SASS with his. I shoot a match now and then with mine. Never a problem. 

When you buy (or send your own Henry to Slater), his modifications are the Widder Soft Stroke.

We've been friends a long time and when I retired, I helped him learn the mods on the Henry .22

and he does a fantastic job on them.

Slater's business number is:  865 / 591-5129

He is also a member of the SASS Merchants as a gun dealer.

..........Widder

:ph34r:  

Another vote here for Henry.  I bought a used Golden Boy and experienced a rupture of the barrel where it threaded into receiver.  Sent it back to Henry and instead of fixing it they sent me a BRAND NEW Golden Boy!  Quick, seamless service.  Can't beat their warranty service.

New rifle was a little stiff (newness stiffness) so I followed Widder's posted advice from the Wire as to what to look for and change .....  Bolt width, etc.  Short stroked and polished movables,  What a pleasure to use!

im going to tell you to get out to the shops and shoulder both , i found the fit a person slightly differently , one of them will suite you better than the other i think , i have the henrys in 22s and the rossi in centerfire , ilike both for its individual self 

i bought the henry 22 because i liked it better 

29 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Of all the folks here that recommend the Henry, how many of you have thoroughly handled the Rossi?

Phantom

I have. Decent enough gun. Wood was so so, finish good. Kinda rough to cycle compared to a Henry but better than my 39, surprisingly. Didn't like the plastic barrel band up front. Looked cheap. 

The Henry is more money but worth the extra.

12 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I have. Decent enough gun. Wood was so so, finish good. Kinda rough to cycle compared to a Henry but better than my 39, surprisingly. Didn't like the plastic barrel band up front. Looked cheap. 

The Henry is more money but worth the extra.

There are Henry's with plastic barrel bands too.

Phantom

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

There are Henry's with plastic barrel bands too.

Phantom

Yep. But these were blocky and cheap looking. 

I got a Iver Johnson Lever Action, caliber 22 S.L.LR. with the Widder short stroke. 16" barrel with LOP of 12 3/4". Large Loop Lever with regular lever attached and can be removed and has a rifleman action screw. Got this at the old Smitty's store many years ago.

Lots of fun running this and slicker than Owl crap.

Merry Christmas pilgrims.

Jackrabbits Iver Johnson .22rifle.JPG

17 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I ain't much familiar with the Rossi, but I can vouch for the Henry.

Its nice from the box....... BUT, it can be modified to be as slick, fast and reliable as any .22

you've ever fired.  PLUS, it can be short stroked to eliminate about 1.25" from the lever travel arch.

I vote:  HENRY

..........Widder

This!

Widder turned me onto a guy that does that work. Have a Henry Golden Boy 22 with that work done. Fantastic rifle.

Archived