SASS Wire Forum

Is there a booze named Mary?

Alpo

nativityscene.thumb.jpg.e9a020f1ee68b88398e244188955b48f.jpg

When I first saw this I thought - meh - but then I looked at it some more.

Sweet Baby Jesus is a beer. Specifically it's a porter. You have the three wise men, along with their camels. If I remember correctly from Sunday School, one of the three wise men was black, and as you see one of the bottles is Black Label. Although I thought one of the wise men was Oriental, so Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey seem to have missed slightly.

A bottle of Jose Cuervo - Jose is the Spanish version of Joseph.

Then we have this other bottle at the head of the manger next to Jose. Logic says it would be Mary, but I neither recognize the shape of the bottle, nor can think of a booze called Mary.

A little help?

We don't know the number of the Magi, no number is given in Scripture.  Nor are the names, place of origin, race, or how long after the Nativity they arrived.  The number three is associated with the gifts given, as well as the Trinitarian aspect.  Some Eastern Christians put the number at 12, which also has mystic significance.

5 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

How cosmopolitan.

Might work.

40 ml Vodka Citron

15 ml Cointreau

15 ml Fresh lime juice

30 ml cranberry juice

Preparation

Shake all ingredients in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Strain into a large cocktail glass. Garnish with lime slice.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

or how long after the Nativity they arrived. 

I thought they showed up on the 6th of January - Twelfth Night.

In Puerto Rico the tree is left up until then. And when the children go to bed they leave out grass and water for the wise men's camels. And they get one present. No matter how many presents they might have got for Christmas, they get one more for Twelfth Night.

I don't know if this was strictly with my son-in-law's family's tradition, or if everyone does it, but he said the present has something to do with traveling. Like an RC car or something.

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I thought they showed up on the 6th of January - Twelfth Night.

In Puerto Rico the tree is left up until then. 

In most of Europe people leave, or did leave, their decorations up until Theophany.  

Some hold that the Christmas season doesn't end until Candlemas (Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple), 40 days after the Nativity, and leave decorations up until then. There are several people around here that seem to keep to that as it's the same half dozen houses that don't put their trees out for recycling until then.

We leave ours up until Theophany.

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We don't know the number of the Magi, no number is given in Scripture.  Nor are the names, place of origin, race, or how long after the Nativity they arrived.  The number three is associated with the gifts given, as well as the Trinitarian aspect.  Some Eastern Christians put the number at 12, which also has mystic significance.

It was nothing but a darn joke!!

and according to scripture incest is best 

When we, am referring to the "Boomers" like me, was growing up, we loved everything we saw in stores, on TV, in movies, etc., and what our parents taught us about the Christmas season.  Had nothing to do about who was Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, etc., it was about Santa Claus and the birth of Jesus.

It was about family getting together and enjoying each others company. 

My how the world we live in has changed. 

ask and ye shall receive it seems , i commend you on your endeavor - its always seemed more in keeping with the thanksgiving events over the years but then i dont recall christmas being obstinate either , the discussions were generally more rowdy at thanksgiving tho , 

I believe you are right. If I blow the picture up as much as I can, while I still can't read the label, the name on the label appears to be the same font as is on the bottle you posted.

Thank you sir.

Archived