SASS Wire Forum

I have this old cowboy hat..

Rance - SASS # 54090

I’ve had this ol’ felt hat fer about 20 years..

It’s a light gray.. Sangelli?

I try to clean it and reshape it about every 8 years or so..

It gets black marks from ejected ammo casings..

been through lots of rain..

and of course hand stains..

Anyhow..

Do any of you cowpokes know what I could use for homemade hat stiffener?

Thanks

100% isopropyl alcohol

Put it in a spray bottle that allows you to mist it.  Mist the alcohol on both sides of the brim and then turn in your hand, with the grain, working the alcohol into the felt.  Don't completely soak the hat, work the alcohol in slowly.

Healthy blast of spray starch, then half an hour in a low oven.

Dunno if that remedy is endorsed by Hat Makers of America, but what came out of the oven was still a hat and it wasn't floppy anymore.

Good luck!

48 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

100% isopropyl alcohol

Put it in a spray bottle that allows you to mist it.  Mist the alcohol on both sides of the brim and then turn in your hand, with the grain, working the alcohol into the felt.  Don't completely soak the hat, work the alcohol in slowly.

This ↑↑↑

Mix 2 parts alcohol (isopropyl, denatured, whatever) and 1 part shellac; spray on the hat.  Allow to dry for at least 24 hours at room temperature.  Repeat until hat is as rigid as you want.  Don't try to speed up drying with heat;  wear it for the first hour after each spray treatment.

Starch works until it rains.

I have a Resistol my Wife gave me many years ago.  Though I have several / many other hats, I'm fond of it and have taken it to Randy at Law Dog Hats twice for refurbishment. Inexpensive, a professional job, and though it is on the verge of irreclaimable I may try one more time. Many hat makers offer restoration.  I asked the same question as the OP a couple of years ago but decided to pay an expert.

Addendum:

I agree with Rip Snorter, use a professional if it is a valuable hat.  Use my alcohol/shellac spray only to salvage an old beater.

Use eight parts denatured alcohol to one part alcohol based shellac.  Mix thoroughly and use a utility grade spray bottle to apply. It disappears quickly and dries in an hour or so.  

It’s fairly waterproof and when it dries it’s not very flammable, at least no more flammable than your hat was to begin with.

Clean your hat well before you use the spray.

Catalina hats by Houston did a great job refurbishing a 20 year old resistol hat of mine and were very reasonable. 

On 11/30/2023 at 6:53 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Addendum:

I agree with Rip Snorter, use a professional if it is a valuable hat.  Use my alcohol/shellac spray only to salvage an old beater.

i agree with you and him , if the ha is valuable you need to trust it to a pro , save its value - if your like me , and bought yours at an antique store to abvuse at cowboy action events , then the DIYS makes sense 

i dont abuse mine intentionally but everything ive ever bought for CAS  was purchased as a 'tool' to be used and abused if needed - nothing i bought was intended to be sunday-goin-to-meetin type stuff , me and my God like huntin/fishin/shootin CAS 

Archived