SASS Wire Forum

Military Meme's

PowderRiverCowboy

I have a couple of questions about that meme. Bear with me.

Boot camp? Air Force?

Boot camp is Navy. Marines are navy also, so they go to boot camp. But I thought the Army went to basic training and since the Air Force used to be the army I assumed they also went to basic training. Boot camp?

Then the comment. DI. In the Air Force? Again, the Navy has drill instructors. If you can believe Forrest Gump (the scene where he's tearing his rifle down then putting it back together in basic. "You taught me drill sergeant."), the Army has drill sergeants. I don't know what the Air Force has but drill instructor doesn't sound right.

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I have a couple of questions about that meme. Bear with me.

Boot camp? Air Force?

Boot camp is Navy. Marines are navy also, so they go to boot camp. But I thought the Army went to basic training and since the Air Force used to be the army I assumed they also went to basic training. Boot camp?

Then the comment. DI. In the Air Force? Again, the Navy has drill instructors. If you can believe Forrest Gump (the scene where he's tearing his rifle down then putting it back together in basic. "You taught me drill sergeant."), the Army has drill sergeants. I don't know what the Air Force has but drill instructor doesn't sound right.

The Only "Boot Camp " is the Marines and they use Drill Instructors except for Air Farce I believe they use Unicorn Activities Coordinator .

The rest use "Basic Training" 

The Navy doesn't have boot camp anymore? Because they certainly used to. My father went to boot camp in 1940. My cousin went to boot camp - somewhere in Central Florida. Orlando? - in the '80s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The Navy doesn't have boot camp anymore? Because they certainly used to. My father went to boot camp in 1940. My cousin went to boot camp - somewhere in Central Florida. Orlando? - in the '80s.

Navy did and still goes both ways , and take that anyway you wish :)  One sentence they call it Basic the next is boot camp , naps are still optional .

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.navy.com/sites/default/files/2018-03/bootcamp-brochure_0.pdf 

Posted (edited)

In the 60’s I went to Boot Camp @ the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. The facility was a Training Center, the activity was Boot Camp.

Lots of fun and games. 

I almost shot a small arms instructor in the leg at rifle training. We were handed 22’s with a magazine design, only no mag. Just a wooden  block with ?# of cartridges in holes. Firing from the prone position we were to take one cartridge out of the block, hand feed it into the chamber, close the bolt, aim and fire at will. The city boy down the line kept dropping them through the opening for the magazine. They would roll across the firing line and he would reach out and grab it. The instructor yelled at him twice. The third time he jerked the city boy to his feet and marched down the line two feet in front of the firing line. There was no “cease fire “ just a kaki clad leg in front of my sight as I was applying pressure to the trigger. I’m glad I managed to avoid completing the pull. There are things in your life you never forget, some are very significant, some are just random incidents that could have gone differently. 

CJ

Yeah, yeah, I know. “Who was Will”? Never met him just tried to scared him by seeing how close I could come without hitting him. 

Edited by Cactus Jack Calder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

In the 60’s I went to Boot Camp @ the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. The facility was a Training Center, the activity was Boot Camp.

Lots of fun and games. 

I almost shot a small arms instructor in the leg at rifle training. We were handed 22’s with a magazine design, only no mag. Just a wooden  block with ?# of cartridges in holes. Firing from the prone position we were to take one cartridge out of the block, hand feed it into the chamber, close the bolt, aim and fire at will. The city boy down the line kept dropping them through the opening for the magazine. They would roll across the firing line and he would reach out and grab it. The instructor yelled at him twice. The third time he jerked the city boy to his feet and marched down the line two feet in front of the firing line. There was no “cease fire “ just a kaki clad leg in front of my sight as I was applying pressure to the trigger. I’m glad I managed to avoid completing the pull. There are things in your life you never forget, some are very significant, some are just random incidents that could have gone differently. 

CJ

Yeah, yeah, I know. “Who was Will”? Never met him just tried to scared him by seeing how close I could come without hitting him. 

Did your rifle look like this? This is my Mossberg .22 made for military training. That’s a 6-round detachable mag just ahead of the trigger guard 

image.thumb.jpeg.cf21718fbc07be5b80daaf274a41cc5d.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Did your rifle look like this? This is my Mossberg .22 made for military training. That’s a 6-round detachable mag just ahead of the trigger guard 

image.thumb.jpeg.cf21718fbc07be5b80daaf274a41cc5d.jpeg

That is probably the one. It had a sling and we were taught to use it as a brace. The shooting instructor, who I remember as being a Marine, grabbed the city boy’s sling to haul  him along. As I said, pure luck I didn’t shoot that trouser leg.

CJ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

WOW!!

I think I'm more impressed by Lt. Bill Overstreet, who flew a P-51 Mustang, called "Berlin Express" under the tower in pursuit of a Bf-109. The 109 didn't escape.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-story-of-bill-overstreets-p-51b-berlin-express-the-mustang-that-flew-under-the-eiffel-tower-in-hot-pursuit-of-a-luftwaffe-messerschmitt-bf-109/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

image.thumb.png.027f55fc260dd9953938cab118168ea3.png

Do you know why people say "drink and swear like a sailor?"

Because paratroopers hadn't been invented yet!

• Haha 2