SASS Wire Forum

Great Pic

Buckshot Bear

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Interesting noticing that a lot of them have their knives situated in front of their gun holster.

Probably handy in close quarter hand to hand.  They appear to be some type of ranger outfit.  But, I don't see any badges.  Maybe a militia?

18 minutes ago, Presidio said:

Probably handy in close quarter hand to hand.  They appear to be some type of ranger outfit.  But, I don't see any badges.  Maybe a militia?

Except for the 2nd guy from the left on the 1st row, it could be the local 'Mustache' club..... ;)

..........Widder

I do not think they normally wear their knives like that. I think that they wore them like that for the picture to show how ferocious they were.

Like the guy in the dark shirt, standing on the right in the back row. Having that second gun stuck down inside his gun belt. Looks ferocious. Good way to lose your second gun.

Or like the way they are all wearing their hats. I'm sure they don't wear their hats like that normally. They have them tipped back so their faces can be seen.

The way several of them gentlemen are wearing their knives, it seems that if they bent over they would stab themselves in the leg. That's why people usually wear them on the side or on the back. You can't bend very far to the side or to the back.

I wish the guy third from the right in the front row was not wearing a hat. The man behind him in the shield front shirt looks to be holding a Browning design rifle. With everyone else having a Henry design that seems a little out of place. But the guy in the front row's hat brim is blocking enough for the receiver that I can't tell.

jim_king_baz_outlaw_riley_boston_charley

Statistically, the odds were stacked against this unsuspecting cluster of lawmen. At least five of these Company D Texas Rangers would die violently at the hands of others and, for that reason, this photo is among my top 10. (Standing, from left) Jim King, Bass Outlaw, Riley Boston, Charley Fusselman, Tink Durbin, Ernest Rogers, Charles Barton and Walter Jones. (Seated, from left) Bob Bell, Cal Aten, Captain Frank Jones, J. Walter Durbin, Jim Robinson and Frank L. Schmid.

From True West magazine article by Bob Alexander, March 12, 2012.  The Rangers were issued "official" badges by the state in 1935.  Before that badges were hand made and had several designs, the most well known being made from the Mexican Cinco peso coin.

PS:  As it turns out today, 17 October in 1835, the Texas Rangers were officially created.

Looks like the seated 2nd from the right has a 1873 "Trapper" carbine.

Note the length of barrel & forearm even taking in account it is slightly back than the others in that row.

When wearing my CAS rig I would put my knife sheath in front of my right side holster. The knife I carried was small. Maybe a 3.5” blade. 

I have seen that photo somewhere. Gonna go see if I can get some details. 

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Except for the 2nd guy from the left on the 1st row, it could be the local 'Mustache' club..... ;)

..........Widder

Last guy on the right, in front row, is out of the Mustache Club too.

• 4 weeks later...

Found it!  :lol:

When I first saw the opening post I flashed on one of my favorite coffee mugs ~ with this same picture, and the caption "The Original Homeland Security."

I gotta post a picture! I sez to myself.  Alas... I rifled all my cupboards, the Kid's room, the guest bedroom... no mug.  Oh well....  :(

So I spent last weekend at my son's "new" house.  Sunday morning, went for a cup o' coffee, and right there in his cabinet - The Mug!  :D

And of course he's welcome to it.  ^_^

image.thumb.png.9a076222b79c83a6c5f1d73b7f778757.png  image.png.6f91c71f9501b5df3bab1fff00aec2db.png

Archived