SASS Wire Forum

Any commercial reloaders still in business?

Sedalia Dave

Friend is looking for someone to reload 357 and 45 Colt Cowboy ammo. Also the possibility of some 12 gauge.

I know before the primer shortage there were several individuals reloading cowboy ammo. Any of them survive?

34 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Friend is looking for someone to reload 357 and 45 Colt Cowboy ammo. Also the possibility of some 12 gauge.

I know before the primer shortage there were several individuals reloading cowboy ammo. Any of them survive?

https://bulletsbyscarlett.live-website.com/shop/Cowboy-Cartridges-c155201256

https://choiceammunition.com/cowboy-action/

Bullets By Scarlett and Choice Ammunition both are loading new ammo for cowboys 

Bang and Clang Bullets also loads cowboy ammo.  They are great supporters of CAS shooting and are a Bordertown sponsor as well.
www.bangandclangllc.com

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Would your friend be interested in some already loaded 12ga black powder Alcans?

1 hour ago, Presidio said:

Would your friend be interested in some already loaded 12ga black powder Alcans?

Would those Alcans be brass/metal shells??

11 minutes ago, Presidio said:

Yup.  Still got empties looking for a new home.

They might find one up here in No. TX...  What primers do the Alcans take?

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

They might find one up here in No. TX...  What primers do the Alcans take?

They take standard 209's.  Heads are a little thin for my Bounty Hunter 2 SxS, but work pretty well in my '87 & '97.  Your mileage may vary.

These are empties and unprimed, brass base, aluminum body.  Been using them as roll crimps and have used beeswax and overshot cards in the past.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

He would definitely like them.

See ya' tomorrow ^_^

See you tomorrow ^_^

48 minutes ago, Presidio said:

Yup.  Still got empties looking for a new home.

PM me!  We’ll get together!! I’m looking for empties to reload.

Dave!!  I may know someone who can handle the pistol/rifle ammo! 

Does he have brass and supplies?

I will contact my source tomorrow and see what he says and let you know.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Is your friend local?  Texas Gunslinger was reloading but I don’t know if he is still doing that. You might PM him and see.

23 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Dave!!  I may know someone who can handle the pistol/rifle ammo! 

Does he have brass and supplies?

I will contact my source tomorrow and see what he says and let you know.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Is your friend local?  Texas Gunslinger was reloading but I don’t know if he is still doing that. You might PM him and see.

Thanks I'll give him a call

11 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Gunslinger is still in business.

Thanks

20 hours ago, Presidio said:

They take standard 209's.  Heads are a little thin for my Bounty Hunter 2 SxS, but work pretty well in my '87 & '97.  Your mileage may vary.

These are empties and unprimed, brass base, aluminum body.  Been using them as roll crimps and have used beeswax and overshot cards in the past.

See ya' tomorrow ^_^

See you tomorrow ^_^

Have those Alcans been drilled out for 209s? All of them I know of including mine take a primer that looks like a 209 but is smaller.  I know some folks have successfully drilled them out.

DAVE! My guy is only doing face to face right now.

Took me a while to get in touch with him.  Sorry…

20 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

DAVE! My guy is only doing face to face right now.

Took me a while to get in touch with him.  Sorry…

Thanks for Checking.  Texas Gunslinger is still reloading ammo and is local so I sent my friend his contact info.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Have those Alcans been drilled out for 209s? All of them I know of including mine take a primer that looks like a 209 but is smaller.  I know some folks have successfully drilled them out.

Not to worry! I have ample supply of other shotgun primers for older shells.  I’d love to put some of them to use!!

Commercial reloader would mean they are licensed by the ATF, insured, and bonded meaning they have insurance and a bond to go after if they make your gun go boom in a bad way. The ATF license to manufacture (reload) ammunition is different that that required to buy and sell guns. While some might think it’s okay to reload for money without these requirements because a pard would be understanding if something happened, isn’t thinking about the next of kin that won’t be so understanding. I have experienced this first hand. 

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Not to worry! I have ample supply of other shotgun primers for older shells.  I’d love to put some of them to use!!

Those I sent to you are in the original box.  I didn't take a pic of it, but maybe you can and post here.  I think (bad for the wrinkles) it says what size primer it's rated for on it.

These were all "new" and unused.

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

Commercial reloader would mean they are licensed by the ATF, insured, and bonded meaning they have insurance and a bond to go after if they make your gun go boom in a bad way. The ATF license to manufacture (reload) ammunition is different that that required to buy and sell guns. While some might think it’s okay to reload for money without these requirements because a pard would be understanding if something happened, isn’t thinking about the next of kin that won’t be so understanding. I have experienced this first hand. 

Exactly,  None of us in the club would accept the job because of the licensing and liability.

4 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Bang & Clang sells reloads and is a reliable SASS supporter :)

https://bangandclangllc.com/ :FlagAm:

From the Bang and Clang website (https://bangandclangllc.com/match-ammunition/):

image.png.9b86e0849dde9e221e4cf5174e395023.png

19 hours ago, Presidio said:

Those I sent to you are in the original box.  I didn't take a pic of it, but maybe you can and post here.  I think (bad for the wrinkles) it says what size primer it's rated for on it.

These were all "new" and unused.

I’ll post photos when they arrive!  

I have #57 and #157 primers in stock.

I was planning on using them in my MAGTECH brass shells when they became too worn for LP primers to stay seated well.  I have nearly 300 brass 12ga shells, most of them loaded. Some, I bought. Some were given to me and some were part of an estate that came to me as a gift.

I also received a set of CH4D 12ga dies for brass shells in that gift!  

You could say that I am impatiently awaiting the day when I can get back into my shop and run some of this stuff through the reloading process!!

So many projects!! So little time!!

As promised! The Alcan shotgun shells arrived today and here are the pictures I promised!

I really didn’t expect to receive a hundred of ‘em, but I must admit that it’s a very pleasant surprise!

Presidio!! You ARE the best!!

The original box is especially unexpected and more appreciated!  I’m gonna have a ball with these!!

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0108.jpeg

Don't believe there's any difference between Alcan 209 primer and any other.  Been using Wolf 209 primers for a long time without any trouble.

Enjoy.  Glad they have a good home.^_^

Like I said earlier, I have several different types of shotgun primers, including 209s in Cheddite, Federal, and Winchester.

I’ve already begun perusing the internet for more info on load data and history.

Come Monday, I’ll make a call to Ballistic Products to see what they can offer.

I have shotgun reloading supplies in 9, 10, 11, and twelve gauge and plenty of stuff to make smoke or smokeless loads.

I get a ton of pleasure from making things like this happen!  It’s especially good to have something like this to keep my noodle occupied while I’m stuck in this chair, waiting for my foot to heal up again!!

If I get the knowledge I need, I might just start a thread on this!!

• 1 month later...

I said that I would update y’all on my progress with these Alcan shotgun shells.

I’ve been busy with some other things and I had some more surgery on my foot.

Yesterday, I contacted the folks at Ballistic Products for some information on the necessary materials to make these work.

Turns out that the same stuff I use for my 12ga brass shells with Black Powder will work just fine! The nitro over powder cards in 11ga are correct for smokeless powder as well. The fiber wads and over shot cards are good as well.  There are 11ga plastic wads available and I might order some after the first of the year.

For now, I’m going to make them up with what I have and use the load data for my usual mild reloads.

Stay tuned!

4 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

MILD ?? 

I have seen AR500 targets tremble when ya head to the line 

Chickasaw 

Yeah!  There are occasions when I let the ol’ wolf out for some mayhem and destruction, but I usually save that for bigger matches where I go to have the most fun.

I have and use the low noise/low recoil loads and I reload them for monthlies and practice. (OOOH! I wrote the “P” word!)

2 minutes ago, C. W. Knight # 47289L said:

Also ya don't wanta be runnin' the timer with him in a small space with all that smoke !! I cain't holt my breath that long :huh:!   C.W. Just sendin" ya' smile:rolleyes:, C.W.  :FlagAm:

Hey!! Merry Christmas, CW!!

Archived