SASS Wire Forum

SxS?

Matthew Duncan

Amazing how my stage times have improved when I’m serious instead of having fun.  

Considering retiring my TTN external hammered SxS 12 gauge with a quality internal hammered, single trigger, short barreled that’s been blessed by a known gunsmith.

Recommendations?

SKB set up by Fast Eddie, Doc Noper, Lefty Wheeler or Shotgun Boogie. 

Doc Noper is not as well known to some .

But he does some fine Shotgun & Leather work.

So Saith The Rooster 

I have an SKB done by Doc Noper and a Browning BSS done by Joe Brisco….both are wonderful shotguns 

I started this game with a stock Stoeger. After about 2 years I finally had it “broke in” but then it started getting a bit too loose. I upgraded to a Baikail by Johnny Meadows. Huge improvement. Then I tried an SKB. For whatever reason I found it easier to load, and just faster to shoot. My stage times reflected that I was faster. I tried a BSS set up by unknown smith. It was very good as well, but I just like the SKB more. I bought an unmodified 100, sent it to Lefty Wheeler.  it was very good, but I found I just preferred the beavertail firearm on the 200. I recently bought one from Shotgun Boogie. Excellent gun. 
I’ve tried the Sharptail. It just did not “feel” right. But that may be personal preference more than anything else. 

39 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m not fond of single trigger SXS. Never found them to be any faster than two triggers. Plus, they don’t fail to reset for the second shot the way single triggers can. 

My 2 TTNs and 3 Baikals are all 2 trigger and I'm afraid if I got a 1-trigger that it would mess me up with those.  It's already hard enuf remembering to cock the ttn hammers after the Baikal. 

12 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Amazing how my stage times have improved when I’m serious instead of having fun.  

Considering retiring my TNN external hammered SxS 12 gauge with a quality internal hammered, single trigger, short barreled that’s been blessed by a known gunsmith.

Recommendations?

I have a retirement home for TTNs

11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

My 2 TTNs and 3 Baikals are all 2 trigger and I'm afraid if I got a 1-trigger that it would mess me up with those.  It's already hard enuf remembering to cock the ttn hammers after the Baikal. 

When I went from 2 triggers to 1 trigger it took me about 2 stages to reset my brain! 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

When I went from 2 triggers to 1 trigger it took me about 2 stages to reset my brain! 

I'm thinking that would be the easy part.  Trying to go back to the TTN for some style points after getting used to 1 trigger is what might bother me. :)

6 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm thinking that would be the easy part.  Trying to go back to the TTN for some style points after getting used to 1 trigger is what might bother me. :)

But the video might get 212M views:P

Another vote for the CZ sharptail coach, either get one pre tuned or buy a set of shotgun boogies springs and tune it yourself, there easy to work on and a quick handling gun to shoot

Parker.

Once upon a time, that'd be all I'd say, but I realized that it's kinda silly to not elaborate a little.  When I use a SxS, I use a Parker, the greatest SxS ever made in these United States, and arguably, the world.

And you CAN get one that's a good honest shooter for less than $1500.   Less than $1000 if you look hard and long enough.   My most recently acquired ones were $700 for a 12 gauge and $1100 for a 20.   The 12 has 30" F/F barrels and the 20 has 28" F/M.

Of course, I also have my father's with 19" barrels and no choke at all.   That gun started my love for the Parker.   You just can't go wrong with one.  You don't have to spend $10,000 (or much, much more) to get one, and you'll never regret it.   Considering how much we can spend on our rifles and pistols, spending something comparable on the shotgun is not unreasonable.   Just did a quick search on Gunbroker and Gunsinternational, and there are things for pretty good prices.   Give it a try.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Parker.

Once upon a time, that'd be all I'd say, but I realized that it's kinda silly to not elaborate a little.  When I use a SxS, I use a Parker, the greatest SxS ever made in these United States, and arguably, the world.

And you CAN get one that's a good honest shooter for less than $1500.   Less than $1000 if you look hard and long enough.   My most recently acquired ones were $700 for a 12 gauge and $1100 for a 20.   The 12 has 30" F/F barrels and the 20 has 28" F/M.

Of course, I also have my father's with 19" barrels and no choke at all.   That gun started my love for the Parker.   You just can't go wrong with one.  You don't have to spend $10,000 (or much, much more) to get one, and you'll never regret it.   Considering how much we can spend on our rifles and pistols, spending something comparable on the shotgun is not unreasonable.   Just did a quick search on Gunbroker and Gunsinternational, and there are things for pretty good prices.   Give it a try.

I'm by no means a shotgun expert, but I would be hesitant to do the things to a nice Parker that I do to a competition SASS shotgun.  Chop the barrels, funnel and polish the chambers, throw it down on tables, let all my brass rain down on it and chew up the stock.

Also that lug looks like it would interfere with a speed load.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm by no means a shotgun expert, but I would be hesitant to do the things to a nice Parker that I do to a competition SASS shotgun.  Chop the barrels, funnel and polish the chambers, throw it down on tables, let all my brass rain down on it and chew up the stock.

Also that lug looks like it would interfere with a speed load.

My $700 12 gauge is a Trojan, so no lug.   Why chop?   Long barrels are great!   But, if you really want short barrels, they are available.   Yes, a pristine looking one would be a shame to mess up, and at 20 to 60 thousand (yes!) you'd not want too.  But my above mentioned Trojan, which is perfectly shootable, looks every one of its 100 plus years of age.  No real finish left, for example.  Just a grey patina.   Stock has a few minor dings.  In other words, an honest shooter.   That's what to look for.

21 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m not fond of single trigger SXS. Never found them to be any faster than two triggers. Plus, they don’t fail to reset for the second shot the way single triggers can. 

It took me about 3 stages to get used to a single trigger SKB and I’ve never looked back!

Randy

Archived