SASS Wire Forum

How much is a 1 mile walk in the heat worth to you?

Alpo

I was going to Harbor Freight. They got their ammo cans on sale and I figured to get three or four. And I was thinking that I also needed another 5 gallon bucket.

Their buckets are five dollars - more or less. Walmart sells buckets for four dollars - more or less.

Harbor Freight and Walmart are in the same shopping center, but they are at opposite ends. And the buckets in Walmart are in the very back of the store. So if I walked from Harbor Freight down to Walmart to buy a bucket, it's going to be at least a half a mile round trip.

Now if it was winter time, and it was cold - so I would still be wearing a short sleeve t-shirt and shorts but at least I wouldn't be sweating :P - I would have made that half a mile walk to save that dollar. Because I'm cheap.

But today I bought the bucket at Harbor Freight. It was worth a dollar to me not to have to walk all the way down there and back in the heat.

I can't walk that far any more my arthritis will not let me, so I would drive to Walmart. I know it sounds lazy but it is not

It all depends on if the wife is with me.  She can't go into Walmart without spending $100.00.  Therefore after subtracting the $1.00 I saved on the bucket, it would still cost me $99.00 just to walk in the store with her.

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Never bought a five gallon bucket.  Always collected enough from buying oil and such for the machinery. 

Yea, I always just stopped and picked up a sheetrock bucket off the side of the road.  

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Yea, I always just stopped and picked up a sheetrock bucket off the side of the road.  

Yep. I don't know why I notice roadside debris, but I do. Five gallon buckets and empty coolers (no lids) seem to be very common around here on roads with a 55+ speed limit.

Being in construction, I have plenty of 5 gallon buckets w/lids. If anyone needs a five gallon bucket, visit a jobsite that is being drywalled and/or painted and look in the debris dumpster or ask one of the drywallers/painters if you can have one or two. You might have a language barrier to overcome but the buckets are 10 times  better than WalMart, Harbor Freight and others.

To answer Alpo's question, would I walk a mile to save a buck...no. Would I drive through the parking lot to WalMart, only if I needed something else also.

I confess, I do some grocery shopping at WalMart. My only other choices for groceries are Publix (nice stores but 15 - 20% higher on all items) or WinnDixie/Aldis/Save a Lot (which are all run down regardless to neighborhood) or Sams which is still WalMart with a membership fee.

For one item to save a buck?

Naw! They might even be out of stock or at the back of the store, where I have to limp to to pick it up.

I now take the van down the street to the community mail boxes, to avoid walking that far, because of my knees.

I still move at the range when it's my turn to shoot, but it's a "Groucho Marx" kind of "run" since locking the knees or standing hurts like the blazes!

Pards won't let me work anymore: "You did your share! It's our turn!"

I'll spot, sitting on my little stool or score-keep but the days of doing my share of TO/RO are over. 

Related shopping question.  How far would you drive to find a gas station with a lower price? 

We have a gas station on our end of town but I stopped buying there years ago. The price is always higher than the stations in town.  Also, there is a Murphys at Wally-World where we shop.  It's gas prices are almost always 5-15 cents lower than other stations.  I often top of if near half tank low.

51 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Related shopping question.  How far would you drive to find a gas station with a lower price? 

We have a gas station on our end of town but I stopped buying there years ago. The price is always higher than the stations in town.  Also, there is a Murphys at Wally-World where we shop.  It's gas prices are almost always 5-15 cents lower than other stations.  I often top of if near half tank low.

Depends upon how far away it is and how much gas I need. 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I go about 5 miles out of my way to save about .20 a gallon at BJs wholesale club. There’s a Shell station right up the corner less than a 1/4 mile and I pass at least 4 others on the way to BJs. They’re all 20-30 cents more! 

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I go about 5 miles out of my way to save about .20 a gallon at BJs wholesale club. There’s a Shell station right up the corner less than a 1/4 mile and I pass at least 4 others on the way to BJs. They’re all 20-30 cents more! 

A lot depends on gas prices in general. When America was energy independent, say, 3 years ago, it was worth it to save .20 a gallon. Now that it's $4.00 a gallon, putting in say, $20.00 worth you're only gaining about a quart. You have to ask yourself how far a quart will take you. In my Jeep, that's only about 3 1/2 miles, once it's warmed up.    

My walker gets me around lncluding elk and deer hunting.

Convenience beats saving a buck

I get my buckets for free when I buy parts cleaner or hydraulic oil.

I would drive instead of walking.

I have a cowboy pard, Brad-a-tat-tat, that owns and operates a very well known and controversial store/restaurant/filling station. He’s a contrarian who says what he thinks and puts what he’s saying on an electronic sign out in front of his place of business.  His gas is usually $.25 to $.30 cents a gallon less expensive than the store/stations nearest to me. He’s also usually $.10 to $.15  cheaper than Walmart or the other box stores.  

He about fifteen miles from where I live.  My Enclave gets around 22 mpg and holds more than twenty gallons. Ol’ Green holds thirty-four gallons.  Gas is averaging $3.49 a gallon elsewhere. I seldom buy less than 12 gallons in the Buick or 25 gallons when I’m driving the truck, so I’m usually saving between $4.50 and $6.25 or thereabouts for a fillup when compared to the local stations, so mileage wise I’m not saving much, but it makes me happy to pass by those higher priced places.  

Besides all of that, his store is on my way to or from town more than half the time that I’m out and it’s only a couple miles down the road from WallyWorld, so if I’m over that way and need gas, I’ll go to Brad’s instead!

If you’re in Nashville, be sure to visit Lewis’ Country Store and Restaurant on highway 12!!  They have great food, good prices, and a fabulous collection of guns on display in the restaurant!!

Archived