SASS Wire Forum

ever get frustrated with search engines

Alpo

I got a phone call. Didn't recognize it, so I didn't answer. Let it go to voicemail.

But -- I'm curious about some of these. So I look up the number, to see if I can figure out who called me.

The number was 234-303- blah blah blah. And I get a hit. It's a dentist in Colorado. Why, I think to myself, would a dentist in Colorado be calling me? And then I look at the phone number that it says belongs to this dentist. 303-234-blah blah blah.

I didn't type in 303-234. I typed in 234-303.

And I see that a lot. Sometimes they give me the right area code and exchange, but they give me all kinds of information about a completely different last four. If I ask about 123-456-7890, I really don't care about 123-456-9821.

What kind of idiots program these search engines? And how can I get a search engine that works like they do on cop shows on TV, because theirs is always perfect. :P

25 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What kind of idiots program these search engines? And how can I get a search engine that works like they do on cop shows on TV, because theirs is always perfect. :P

The kind of idiot which provided a quote character. These two searches are different:

(123) 456-7890

"(123) 456-7890"

Searches with quotes require everything between the quotes in the order it is in the quotes.

And on TV, the script requires perfect results with minimum knowledge (on the part of the script writers).

On 8/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Don't you mean (.243).303-.3006? :D

The .303 would be a UK number.

American would be

(.243) .308 -.3006

or more likely

(since the 308 and 3006 exchanges overlap so much)

(.243) .270 -.3006

On 8/22/2023 at 5:56 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

243.303.3006?

10 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

American would be

(.243) .308 -.3006

or more likely

(.243) .270 -.3006

You guys are overthinking it. They're different rifle calibres. Though .303 is British, so you got that one.

13 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

American would be

(.243) .308 -.3006

or more likely

(.243) .270 -.3006

I worked as close to the original number as I could, just making a transposition from ".234" to ".243."  I left the .303 alone, since that is an existing calibre, and cobbled the "xxxx" into 3006 to make it all rifle calibers.

35 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I worked as close to the original number as I could, just making a transposition from ".234" to ".243."  I left the .303 alone, since that is an existing calibre, and cobbled the "xxxx" into 3006 to make it all rifle calibers.

Im pretty sure I understood the joke.

I thought since we had already left the reservation regarding search engines that it was a free for all after that.

Didn't realize there were rules on what was allowed to be altered. 

39 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

we had already left the reservation regarding search engines

Yeah, I kind of noticed that.

19 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The UK country code is  +44. All other digits can occur in any country, been there done that.

Not real brushed up on british rifle calibers, are you?

Or humor?

My first thought upon seeing the title of this thread was Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse.

Their search functions both totally suck.  Search for a Browning shotgun and you'll likely get a hundred plus results - maybe even a few for shotguns (of any make), but more for anything from T-shirts to jerky.  -_-

Midway's sucks too. You have to put it in exactly as they list the part . Upper and lower case and any punctuation or numbers. Frustrating as hell:ph34r:.

43 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Midway's sucks too. You have to put it in exactly as they list the part . Upper and lower case and any punctuation or numbers. Frustrating as hell:ph34r:.

Don;t search Midway on Midway, don't search this forum on this forum.

Go to google (or Duck Duck Go), put in for instance Winchester AA site:midway.com

Or sassnet.com for the site. The "site:" directive tells google to only show results from midway (or whatever). Still have to scroll down past the ads to get to the actual results (do not say "sponsored") and one of the top three links is usually a good one.

No. Not ever.

It is naive think for a second search engines are meant to always perform efficiently for the user, or operate solely to provide accurate, relevant information specific to someone’s inputs. It is designed to keep you looking til one of a myriad of high paying bidders influences you to part ways with one or more of the following: your time, your money or your mind.

Archived