SASS Wire Forum

Any one have a pistol caliber single shot rifle for me?

Howdy Fellers,

I don't know what but I think I want a .38 or .45 single shot rifle. A cheap H&R with a good barrel would work. I'd probably re contour the stock to look old timey. Other action types would be good to. A good shooting, but cosmetically deficient gun would be ideal (as in cheap). I'd really not want plastic or laminated stocks. Oh by the way, did I mention cheap. On the other hand, I realize that some guns are worth more than others, so please let me know if you have something I might like.

Thanx 
Rev. Chase

While not cheap, SSK is now shipping clone T/C contender frames.  They will be available from Haus of Arms once the wait list is satisfied.  Lots of pistol caliber barrels available. 

CVA has a nice line of single shot rifles, sub $500 and from what I have experienced and read, good shooters. 

Cheap? :lol: The H&R .357 and .45 Handi Rifles, on the rare occasions they turn up, are topping $700, plus shipping, on Gunbroker. There are actually TWO .45 Colts on GB right now, with "Buy It Now" prices of $995, shipped, and $705, shipped. Like you, I've been looking for a .45, or at least a barrel, for quite some time at a more reasonable price. The $705 one is a .45/.410 "Survivor" model with a replacement stock set, so the chamber is cut different than a dedicated .45 Colt.

Maybe a rifle barrel for my Contender is the way to go - I've been looking for a .22 LR rifle barrel for it for awhile with no luck. :(

Henry makes a very nice pistol caliber single shot rifle. They are available in .357 mag/.38 spec and .44 mag/.44 spec in pistol calibers. They shoot quite nicely. 

34 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Henry makes a very nice pistol caliber single shot rifle. They are available in .357 mag/.38 spec and .44 mag/.44 spec in pistol calibers. They shoot quite nicely. 

Very well made and finished, a nice, handy, attractive little rifle.  I have it in 45-70.  I put a Skinner Peep and front sight replacement on it. Mine is a bit light for the caliber, but any pistol cartridge would be perfect.

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Cheap? :lol: The H&R .357 and .45 Handi Rifles, on the rare occasions they turn up, are topping $700, plus shipping, on Gunbroker. There are actually TWO .45 Colts on GB right now, with "Buy It Now" prices of $995, shipped, and $705, shipped. Like you, I've been looking for a .45, or at least a barrel, for quite some time at a more reasonable price. The $705 one is a .45/.410 "Survivor" model with a replacement stock set, so the chamber is cut different than a dedicated .45 Colt.

Maybe a rifle barrel for my Contender is the way to go - I've been looking for a .22 LR rifle barrel for it for awhile with no luck. :(

I bought off here a H&R in 45-70 Buffalo Classic 1871 and it was over $500 but it has turned out to be a good shooter. It was dead on at 200 using the buckhorn sight. Problem was there isn't any adjustment for the 100 yard targets so I am switching out the front sight and bought a taller one to hopefully give me more adjustment.

TM

2 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

I’m looking for one in .357!  Gun Broker has a bunch.

Sounds like I'm not alone in my quest. I'm not sure that $700 - $900 is what I'd call cheap, but I'm from the gun biz over 40 years ago, so my idea of prices is skewed. I've never bought from Gunbroker. I'll keep haunting the locals. 

I've toyed with the idea of rebarrelling a single barrel shotgun.

Rev. Chase

Just now, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Sounds like I'm not alone in my quest. I'm not sure that $700 - $900 is what I'd call cheap, but I'm from the gun biz over 40 years ago, so my idea of prices is skewed. I've never bought from Gunbroker. I'll keep haunting the locals. 

I've toyed with the idea of rebarrelling a single barrel shotgun.

Rev. Chase

Actually, there used to be some cartridge inserts made for single / double shotguns if I recall correctly.

Howdy Rip,

I remember those. I'm not sure they would provide the accuracy for cowboy long rang (100 -200 yds.). I don't believe those were full barrel length. Then there's the problem of sights. My theory is that one cuts the barrel off to about 4" then, using that as the "monobloc" fitting a .451 or 2 barrel into place chambered for .45 Colt. Some fussing with the extractor would be needed. If I ever get that far, I'll fit some sights and see what I have. Maybe a 20 ga. would be the way to go, although a .410 would make a sweet little rifle. I have no idea about the pressure/case head thrust differences.

Rev. Chase

Shotgun adaptor here

https://chaszel.com/product/45-caliber-shotgun-adapters/

Cutting the barrel off and fitting a new barrel is called "barrel stubbing" and was very popular with the H&R fans for a while.  I have an H&R Topper that started life as a 30-30 but in the misguided days of my youth I shot BP and figured a quick cleaning and living in The Big AZ would be enough, life got in the way and when I pulled that gun out 2 years later my barrel was toast :(

I had it barrel stubbed with a 16" heavy contour 44 spl barrel  and it lives on as "Thumper!"   With the weight, size and ease of operation it's my go to gun for new shooters, enough gun to feel like you have shot a 'real' gun when it goes off but gentle enough to not scare the new folks

Dang you!  Now I'm feeling like I need to get another pistol caliber rifle! :lol:

I had no idea that prices had shot up that much!  I bought an H&R Handi Rifle here off the Classifieds, about 15yrs ago for 145.00 delivered.   If you can find one, Rossi made a nice single-shot .45 at around that time, also.  It was 99.00, once upon a time.   But heck, I bought a pair of .357 Vaqueros for 600.  back then also.   Amazing to look back and see how we shoulda stocked up!

On 8/19/2023 at 9:55 AM, McCandless said:

I had no idea that prices had shot up that much!  I bought an H&R Handi Rifle here off the Classifieds, about 15yrs ago for 145.00 delivered.   If you can find one, Rossi made a nice single-shot .45 at around that time, also.  It was 99.00, once upon a time.   But heck, I bought a pair of .357 Vaqueros for 600.  back then also.   Amazing to look back and see how we shoulda stocked up!

I bought a consecutively numbered set of new-in-box blued New Vaquero .45's less than four years ago for $805. No explanation as to why nobody else bid on them.

I didn't mean mine was for sale. Just saying it's a good rifle, and the current price. It was only $375 when I got mine. They also have a steel or brass frame. I shoot mine for Plainsman. I went 45-70 because loading those little 38s in a hurry is harder than a large shell. Something to think about....

HEY I HAVE A J. STEVENS TIP UP RIFLE IN 38 SPECIAL SINGLE SHOT BEAKS DOWN LIKE A SHOTGUN IN VERY GOOD SHOOTING CONDITION. IT WAS MADE AROUND 1870. IF INTERESTED I COULD SEND PICS.

TUG RIVER KID

9 hours ago, TUG RIVER KID said:

HEY I HAVE A J. STEVENS TIP UP RIFLE IN 38 SPECIAL SINGLE SHOT BEAKS DOWN LIKE A SHOTGUN IN VERY GOOD SHOOTING CONDITION. IT WAS MADE AROUND 1870. IF INTERESTED I COULD SEND PICS.

TUG RIVER KID

I sent you a Private Message.

16 hours ago, TUG RIVER KID said:

TUG RIVER KID. HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES OF THE STEVENS. THE BARRELL IS 24IN OCTAGON HEAVY BULL.  I SHOOT REGULAR 38 SPECIALS IN IT WITH NO PROBLEM. THE RIFLEING IS GOOD AND THE GUN SHOOTS ACCURATELY. I WILL TAKE $750.00 [PLUS SHIPPING ($44.50) TO THE LOWER 48 USA.

THANKS FOR ASKING.

TUG

100_4109.JPG

100_4110.JPG

100_4111.JPG

100_4114.JPG

100_4115.JPG

100_4116.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

No dog in the fight .

Here you go.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1007173634