SASS Wire Forum

If cardiologists is right maybe we shouldn’t run

Trigger Mike

I went to a follow up with my cardiologist 5 months after my bypass surgery.  Before she had told me she wanted me to get my heart rate up to 90 beats per minute during 30 minutes of exercise every day.  My heart runs 58 bpm most of the time.  Told barely get there in rehab.  She said just walk 39 minutes a day and that the medication was keeping my heart rate down.

she went on to say that by keeping the heart rate low the heart stays nice and tight like a baseball but if my heart rate gets high it enlarges and becomes loose and like a basketball.  Guess that means no running.

Howdy

With all the med stuff Ive been thru in the last 20 years NO doc has ever 

recommended that I run.

Walk yes.....

Best

CR

If a doctor told me to run I wouldn’t. The most boring and annoying so-called sport in the world. Even when I could run for miles I hated it, but I could do it because of the other exercises that I did at the time. Now I am so tore up I would just laugh at a doctor that suggested it. :lol:

I've known 3 otherwise healthy men who died WHILE jogging. Ages in 40s and 50s.

I've never known someone to fall over dead while walking.

I am short-legged Irish, so running ain't my thing.
At age 72 I still have my original knees.

I'm up to 6 miles per day walking now.
This is how I do memorization work for my position in my lodge.
I'm now the old man that walks through the neighborhood and mumbles to himself.

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I went to a follow up with my cardiologist 5 months after my bypass surgery.  Before she had told me she wanted me to get my heart rate up to 90 beats per minute during 30 minutes of exercise every day.  My heart runs 58 bpm most of the time.  Told barely get there in rehab.  She said just walk 39 minutes a day and that the medication was keeping my heart rate down.

she went on to say that by keeping the heart rate low the heart stays nice and tight like a baseball but if my heart rate gets high it enlarges and becomes loose and like a basketball.  Guess that means no running.

My normal heart rate is usually at 45. I thought it was low but the doc says it is strong and healthy so I will take his word for it. I am on 3 blood pressure meds plus a blood thinner and think that has a lot to do with my heart rate overall.

TM

I walk 6 days a week about a half hour to 45 minutes. No problems with my heart so far, knock on wood! :)

RUN??  Not Hardly.  I have a Pacemaker that keep my heart rate at 60 regardless.  And my heart is compromised.  No stamina.  Walk??  Sure.  Ride a stationary bike??  Absolutely.  Run??  No Way Jose.  I do admit though, for 28 Years I did 4 to 6 miles a day.  I haven't even tried to run since I retired.

The only time I'm going to run anymore is if someone is shooting at me and I am out of ammo.

I use walking to get in shape for hiking which I absolutely love. I can hike 10 or 12 or even 15 miles a day with very little practice and a small pack. Cut that in half however for elevations over 5000 feet. Then I just take my Jeep.

I'm not a small guy and certainly do not have a runner's build although if I did knowing what I know I would not.

Remember the scene from Forrest Gump where he was running and Jenny was screaming RUN FORREST! RUN! ? Then him leg braces broke and fell off in pieces? Well, that would be my legs, but the pieces would be coming from the inside. Running and me, not so much.

I ran 3-4 times per week, @ 2.5 -3 miles, up until 6 years ago. Ran in 5 and 10ks for most of my 30s and 40s.  Three years ago was diagnosed with an arthritic left hip, which will need replacement in next 3-4 years. Ortho Doc said most likely cause......... the running.

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I ran 3-4 times per week, @ 2.5 -3 miles, up until 6 years ago. Ran in 5 and 10ks for most of my 30s and 40s.  Three years ago was diagnosed with an arthritic left hip, which will need replacement in next 3-4 years. Ortho Doc said most likely cause......... the running.

Running isn't the only exercise that causes those type of future injuries. I have no doubt my heavyweight lifting, football, shot putting, and more heavy weight lifting is now what I'm enjoying every morning with Tylenol for breakfast.

57 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Running isn't the only exercise that causes those type of future injuries. I have no doubt my heavyweight lifting, football, shot putting, and more heavy weight lifting is now what I'm enjoying every morning with Tylenol for breakfast.

Yup, football, wrestling, shotput and a few stupid injuries in my youth (sports and motorcycle) - and a few that I have earned in later experience (motorcycle and clumsiness).

Right knee is garbage and years of compensating for that destruction has messed up the left hip.

Add carrying too much weight for a large percentage of my adult life and my knees sound like a rice krispies commercial when I climb my stairs.

As for running?

I hated running in my youth (when I had to) - Aint no chance Im doing it now.

The human body is pretty well adapted at running over long distances. However, since we don't typically run regularly in today's world, because we have no need to chase down our next protein laden meals, it makes very good sense to consult with a physician before starting a running program, or any exercise program. Beyond that, the most important thing is to find something that is fun so you stick with it.

Running is something I enjoy, when I am in shape, which I am not at the moment, thanks to everything going on in my life. I don't mind walking either. I enjoy biking and longer day hikes when I can. My favorite is probably Kenpo. I've never been a gym rat. I've done very little of anything so far this year, and it is showing.

13 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The only time I'm going to run anymore is if someone is shooting at me and I am out of ammo.

I use walking to get in shape for hiking which I absolutely love. I can hike 10 or 12 or even 15 miles a day with very little practice and a small pack. Cut that in half however for elevations over 5000 feet. Then I just take my Jeep.

I'm not a small guy and certainly do not have a runner's build although if I did knowing what I know I would not.

I am right there with you. I even have a sticker on the back of my pickup that has "0.0 - I don't run". I did this because my wife runs marathons and half marathons with our daughter and has her 13.1 and 26.2 stickers on her SUV. She said she enjoys running and I asked her why every person I have ever driven past that is running on the road has a grimace and not a smile if it is so much fun. She didn't answer me. 

TM

Archived