SASS Wire Forum

Left handed shooters and the Marlin or Henry Big Boy

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I'd like to compare my experience with being a left handed rifle shooter and trying the Marlin and Henry Big Boy rifles.

I'd always been hesitant to try them, don't own either, but have had occasion to try both.  To my surprise, I did not find flying brass in front of my face to be a problem.

The HBB did tend to spray hot gasses on my right wrist, but the Marlin did not do this.    So based on all that, while I am not eager to do so, I would not turn up my nose at a Marlin if one were to come before me with the right circumstances.

With that said, what do other left handed shooters think of these two rifles?

I haven't shot either.  My Uberti Lightning 45 Colt throws brass straight up and it bounces off the top of my hat brim.  I did have problems with the M-16A1's I was issued by Uncle Sam in 1969-1971.  Being over gassed the bolt carrier threw very hot brass into my right cheek or neck.  That wasn't distracting unless the brass went down my shirt.  I have no issues shooting A2 & latter versions.  The only issue is the dented brass from hitting the deflector.  Before UniqueTek sold stick-on rubber bumpers I used a bolt carrier with a RCA adjustable gas key for complete uppers.  For a 350 Legend build from a receiver wo/brass deflector I installed an adjustable gas block.

When I first started shooting CAS...I had a Henry. It was 45 Colt. Every shot was like getting a glaucoma test...smoke right in the eyes. Didn't take long to switch to a 73.Don't know what it is with a Marlin...but I can jack more live rounds out of them...I will stick to my 73's

Started with a Rossi '92 and the brass went right up on top of my hat, changed over to a '73 and it goes over my right shoulder now. My .45 and my daughter's Marlins kick the brass out to the right and slightly forward; doesn't bother me in the least to shoot them. Getting brass back on a common firing line is a problem though.

Ellie shoots her Marlin left handed. No issues, except as above and like me, if ya stand too close to the prop, brass departs to unobtanium areas forward of the firing line.

H.K.

Been shooting Marlins for the last 50 years and never gave it a thought!!

Jasper

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Ellie shoots her Marlin left handed. No issues, except as above and like me, if ya stand too close to the prop, brass departs to unobtanium areas forward of the firing line.

This surly happens.  I've seen it.  Lady shooter leaning tight against table and port of gun past window opening.   Cases were all going out at about 2 o'clock as viewed from above.  All outside of stage. I have a bunch of Marlins and none behave this way. Unless it's a wide sweep, all the brass is beside my right foot.

On 4/19/2023 at 5:14 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Started with a Rossi '92 and the brass went right up on top of my hat, changed over to a '73 and it goes over my right shoulder now. My .45 and my daughter's Marlins kick the brass out to the right and slightly forward; doesn't bother me in the least to shoot them. Getting brass back on a common firing line is a problem though.

Did your Rossi have a lighter ejector spring? Most new '92's throw them into the next county. :lol:

As a brass picker I tell Marlin shooters that if they step back a foot they will get more brass back but they never listen. :)

I did shoot a Marlin. What I found is that when picking the rifle up and levering it, if the rifle is canted right a little bit the round rolls towards the ejection port and this can cause it to jam. 

I’ve been shooting Marlin 94A & 94M 22 LR sense I was 10. Remington 870 @12 and everything the Marine Corps put in front of me. All of which spit brass and gas in my face. I just came to expect it. The first time I shot my grand dad’s left handed model 1100 at first I thought there was a malfunction because I didn’t see the hull zip past my face. When I got the chance to shoot a top eject Winchester it was a game changer, I wouldn’t take a chance with a HBB or Marlin while on the clock. I shoot slow enough as it is I don’t need any help from my rifle. 

I'm a southpaw and when I was shooting SASS competitively I used a Marlin in .44 Mag (I ran specials in it).

I never had any issues with the brass being ejected past my face, nor did I experience any negative concerns with gas or blowback.

It worked well enough to pick up a State Title way back when, so something must have worked right.

Jonathan "Slim" Chance

Archived