SASS Wire Forum

Federal LR primer anomaly

Hoss

Opened up a box of federal match LR primers. This is what came out. I’ve never seen this before. Any thoughts? B9A7EF51-A9A9-46F4-B6F8-3A2D7E2BC381.thumb.jpeg.5d7533269ca8c6d739a16f37adb138a1.jpeg

New from factory, or did you get them from a random third party?  If I were to guess someone filled a partial tray of match primers with another batch. 

I'd ask Federal... I doubt anyone here could anything but guess... and your's is probably as good as anyone's.  

I posted a picture of Federal small mag pistol primers that looked a lot like that not too long back.  I was told by others that it is pretty common and they see it often.

Fed small mag pistol.jpg

My guess is the anvil metal was coming to the end of the roll and the red was to warn the machine operator it was about to run out.

Look at the pic full-size, and there are some other odd things, like the anvil of the one I circled. I also never noticed how poorly the paper disc over the compound fit either. I'll have to look at some of mine now. 

PrimerAnomolies.jpg

I’d try to contact Federal also, but now a days I don’t have much faith anything would be done.  Truthfully I wouldn’t be too concerned about the color of the anvil as long as the primer compound is the same color they should go off the same.  What Three Foot shows looks like a machining issue if you notice in his picture some are peened over nicely, a couple are smashed, and a couple don’t even look like they got peened at all.  Looks like Federal is having QC issues. 

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’d try to contact Federal also, but now a days I don’t have much faith anything would be done.  Truthfully I wouldn’t be too concerned about the color of the anvil as long as the primer compound is the same color they should go off the same.  What Three Foot shows looks like a machining issue if you notice in his picture some are peened over nicely, a couple are smashed, and a couple don’t even look like they got peened at all.  Looks like Federal is having QC issues. 

I had a different problem about four years ago and I contacted the Federal people, and they were no help at all! they just brushed me off so if you contact Federal I wish you a lot of luck!

Archived