SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun squib

Hoss

Had a shotgun squib. Wad did not clear the barrel. Finished stage single shot. 

pushed the wad out, was surprised to find full load of unburned Red Dot powder behind it. The primer pop was sufficient to push wad 3/4 of way down barrel. Can’t figure out why the powder did not light off.  Any ideas? 

naturally, was 1st shot of the only 6 round shotgun stage at our annual! 

7 minutes ago, Leadspittinlefty said:

Could be not any wad pressure, experts at BPI say min. of 10 lbs.

Just Sayin !

LSL

I suppose it’s possible. But had shot & wad and crimp looked ok. Not sure how that could be a wad pressure problem 

Foreign object in hull when loaded.   I've found pickup hulls with a layer of feathers, dirt, a piece of chewing gum, foam ear plugs, a .22 fired piece of brass.    Decapping pin pushes through, then the stuff falls back over the primer flash hole and insulates the powder from the flash of the primer.  Primer pressure is enough to push most wads halfway down a shotgun barrel.   A wet hull can soak the powder enough to not ignite, too.

Check your hulls before you load 'em, especially if you are scrounging empties from trash cans.

good luck, GJ

11 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Foreign object in hull when loaded.   I've found pickup hulls with a layer of feathers, dirt, a piece of chewing gum, foam ear plugs, a .22 fired piece of brass.    Decapping pin pushes through, then the stuff falls back over the primer flash hole and insulates the powder from the flash of the primer.  Primer pressure is enough to push most wads halfway down a shotgun barrel.   A wet hull can soak the powder enough to not ignite, too.

Check your hulls before you load 'em, especially if you are scrounging empties from trash cans.

good luck, GJ

I’m thinking this must have been the issue. I generally just reload my own hulls, but certainly possible something got in there. 

makes me think is was something in this hull

since you reload your own, I would think you would have had more than one problem round if it was something wrong with you components.

I've used my SxS "single shot" scattergun on a number of occassions.  slow but beats having misses

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

makes me think is was something in this hull

since you reload your own, I would think you would have had more than one problem round if it was something wrong with you components.

I've used my SxS "single shot" scattergun on a number of occassions.  slow but beats having misses

Naturally the only 6 shotgun target stage in the whole match! 

I had a chunk of red dot flakes ( they were stuck together like they were glued ) block my MEC powder drop and loaded about 1/2 a box of rounds with little to no powder in them before I caught it, rounds went POOOF and pushed the wad 3/4 down the barrel, I have also seen a brand new can of Herco with chunks of powder, now days I watch my powder as I pour it into the loader

2 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

I had a chunk of red dot flakes ( they were stuck together like they were glued ) block my MEC powder drop and loaded about 1/2 a box of rounds with little to no powder in them before I caught it, rounds went POOOF and pushed the wad 3/4 down the barrel, I have also seen a brand new can of Herco with chunks of powder, now days I watch my powder as I pour it into the loader

Interesting. About a year and half ago I had an unopened 8 pounder of clays that had been in dry climate controlled condition for about two years. I had bought it new and when I opened it there were about a half dozen “chunks“ of compressed powder. None of them would have passed through the powder measure. Pure luck I caught it as they were on top of the rest of the normal looking powder. After some careful massaging back into powder I loaded about 15 shells. All worked normally, as did shells made from the remaining powder. Hadn’t seen it before and haven’t seen it since. Never did figure it out. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I use empty MaroSnacks containers to hold brass.  Each one holds around 700+ 38 special cases.  It helps if you have a dog who likes them.

IMG_1667.jpeg

been using the two pound plastic coffee cans myself for brass , back before i retired the company bought a couple of those a week , i took home what i thought i needed when empty and been real happy with the system as i can throw them out when no longer needed and never feel bad about it 

Archived