SASS Wire Forum

Have a Facebook question

Alpo

About 12 years ago, for maybe two weeks, I was on Facebook. And the day after I signed up I started getting friend requests. Three or four of them were from people I actually knew. Two of them were for people from here.

And I've wondered for years now.

How did they know I had signed into Facebook?

If you put in you location, age , place of employment, HS you went to , they will match it up . And once you get a couple friends they will give you suggestions from your friends friend lists . You’ll also get friend requests from pretty young women, or at least pictures of them and a few Nigerian princes 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

About 12 years ago, for maybe two weeks, I was on Facebook. And the day after I signed up I started getting friend requests. Three or four of them were from people I actually knew. Two of them were for people from here.

And I've wondered for years now.

How did they know I had signed into Facebook?

If you filled out a full profile with hobbies, location, etc. your profile would have been suggested to others with similar interests or nearby locations.  

But that's the thing. The only information I put down with my name and my email.

I had been visiting my daughter's family, and many photographs were taken. I asked for copies of the pictures and was told that they posted them on Facebook so that his family, back home, could see the girls. So if I wanted to see the pictures I needed to join Facebook.

So I joined. I gave them the very minimum information necessary to join.

That's why I couldn't figure out how people knew I was there.

Unless maybe there's a thing where you can do a search? I ask if Patrick Wayne is on Facebook, and that searches and if he is they give me his email address. And if he's not they keep it in their files that I want to see if Patrick Wayne is on there. And if he ever joins they quickly email me and say "Patrick Wayne just joined Facebook yaaaaaaaaay".

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Unless maybe there's a thing where you can do a search?

Yes you can do a search on anyone.

Since I was there when I asked for copies, he could have downloaded them to a thumb drive, or burned them on a CD.

But that's too old fashioned.

We were going to mule camp. Conyers. Their website gave directions and a map, and I printed them off. He was using his GPS. So we drove past the exit the instructions said to use, and what I mentioned that he said that the GPS said to keep going.

Turned out that the club's address was not in the GPS, so it took us to the middle of downtown Conyers - some 15 miles away from the range.

But everybody knows the GPS is so much better than a map or directions.

It's the latest thing. We must use the latest thing.

Part of the algorithm is it looks at your email contacts (when you put in your email address); if they have facebook pages you'll get suggested.   You'll also get suggestions of people the people you have emailed are facebook friends with.

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

Part of the algorithm is it looks at your email contacts (when you put in your email address); if they have facebook pages you'll get suggested.   You'll also get suggestions of people the people you have emailed are facebook friends with.

Yes you also get suggestions about friends of friends that you don’t know and will never meet ! It’s stupid! I delete them all. If I get a friend request from someone I don’t know I refuse it. I have enough friends.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Never have been on FB myself but from what I read over the years it sounds like a good place to lose friends. And family, for that matter.

It's also a good place to keep in touch with family and friends who live far away. It's also a great place for different groups you can join. SASS is on there as well as local clubs, gun groups such a Colt owners, S&W etc. Lots of good stuff on there it's not all bad!

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Never have been on FB myself but from what I read over the years it sounds like a good place to lose friends. And family, for that matter.

This is true, very true but the flipside Rye Miles mentions is also true. I have several friends who maintain a pretty decent business profile and success on FB, for one positive example, including 2A related stuff.

This said, I've never been a Facebooker. Nor will I. Will I miss out on some people, places and things? Most certainly. But I find the older I get the more I like not being social. Well, except for here and SASS events. ;)

It's obvious to even a non-user like myself that Facebook has many virtues; that's why it became so ubiquitous so quickly. At the same time, from the beginning, long before the real problems arose, it put me off. So I was never tempted to sign up. One thing I didn't like was that all sorts of businesses and public agencies started to have FB pages, and I was somehow repelled by the idea that these entities would use a proprietary forum, rather than independent websites. In other words, why should I need to sign up with FB to access public information, or info about a particular business?

Anyway, too much information, epecially about opinions, is counterproductive. I am one of six siblings, a sister and 5 brothers. We all live in the same county; we're in our 70s or late 60s. We get along very well. We've never had an estrangement or falling-out, even temporarily.

I have no idea what my brothers' and sister's politics are, at least not specificallly. I've never asked, they've never asked me. I think they are all more or less mildly conservative, but I don't really know. We talk about family, hunting, boating, hiking, camping, old times, myriad things, but not politics. We don't have a 'rule' about it, but we don't rate the subject highly. I haven't the faintest idea who any of them voted for in the last two Presidential elections.

If any of them have FB pages, I don't know or care. So much of what I've read and seen is that FB tempts people to post political or social screeds, which then provoke response. In other words, it sows discord. We don't allow discord to arise between brothers. Or any others of the  family.

It's really simple.  You signed up on Facebook then visited someone else's fb page to look at pictures. The fb algorithm is designed to get you to add as many friends as possible. So it assumes that if you visit another person's fb page you are most likely friends with that person as well as some of the people that are friends with that person. So it sends you friend requests based on that one visit to another person's fb page.

In the fb feed you will see content that the algorithm thinks you will like. Click on it and even if you don't like the page fb will send you more content from that page and others like it. 

Shrug, Farcebook is what you make of it, just like much of the internet.   I've blocked a lot of the political and so called "news" stuff and don't post any of that myself.

If a relative or friend starts to post a lot of drama on their page, then I unfollow them while keeping them as a friend on FB

27 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Shrug, Farcebook is what you make of it, just like much of the internet.   I've blocked a lot of the political and so called "news" stuff and don't post any of that myself.

If a relative or friend starts to post a lot of drama on their page, then I unfollow them while keeping them as a friend on FB

Bingo!!! Winner here!! It's all what you make it and who you follow etc. Lots of SASS clubs, gun clubs, all the major gun companies are on there as well. Virtually every company is on there because it's free! If you don't like what someone posts you either ignore it or unfollow them. All the social media outlets work the same way.

Archived