SASS Wire Forum

Time for another question about prisons

Alpo

Handicapped prisoners.

I went to school with this kid. Billy had had polio. He got about with a pair of forearm crutches.

G05161_HRE04.JPG&bw=1000&w=1000&bh=1000&

Although, to be truthful, my memory has got him having them on the other way. They ran down the front of his arm, not the back. Could just be my memory - high school was 50 years ago. Anywho

So let's say, just for the heck of it, that Billy was serving time. It does not seem like they would let him go about carrying those two 4-foot-long clubs everywhere he went. But if he didn't have his crutches, he could not move.

So if you got handicapped prisoners, how do they handle that

That’s a good question. I know my Dad had a cane in prison back in 1970. He had a bad back. I thought it interesting that when he came home the cane was no longer needed. :rolleyes:

My next-to-last employment before retiring was working a contract to modernize the "C" file and paper records in the CA prison system to all digital.
The "C" file is the complete inmate record book, entirely in paper format.

Every odd thing you hear about how prisons operate, is a direct result of an inmate lawsuit.
This includes stuff like positive air pressure cells, because the inmate cannot be exposed to unfiltered air.

Inmate lawsuits are Big Business for lawyers and doctors.
The fees they charge to the State are nothing less than astounding.
If a doctor arrives at the prison to examine and inmate, and that man is out of prison to appear in court, the doctor charges his high fee and reschedules.
The lack of electronic records prevents coordinating inmate away days with their medical appointments.

Our project was getting the system off paper, and onto digital records for instant access.
One true example is shown below:

The mother of an inmate calls the Warden,  "My Leroy ain't gettin' no meat."
The Warden begins the inquiry process.

• Warden's staff creates paper diet request for the Warden's Out box.
• Paper diet request in the Out box is picked up by mail staff and sent to the kitchen.
• Kitchen staff opens paper diet request, investigates this inmate.
• Kitchen staff submits paper diet report to their Out box.
• Warden's staff opens paper diet report in their In box.
• Staff puts paper diet report on the Warden's calendar.
• Warden contacts the inmate's mother.

"Ma'am, your son gets meat three times weekly."
The inmate mom then asks, "My boy is a Muslim.  What kind of meat?"
The above process is then repeated.

Apply this paper process to the other 115,000 inmates in the CA penal system and the need for digital records becomes apparent.

Another reason is because the "C" file can be delayed when an inmate is transferred.
This can result in two incompatible inmates housed together in the incoming area.
Then, one inmate murders the other.
The investigation determined the dead inmate had murdered the brother of the inmate who killed him.
This happened because his "C" file didn't arrive in time to point out this conflict.

Here in CA, a huge number of inmates are illegals.
CA does not have the authority to deport them.
The Feds refuse to house them in Federal prisons.
CA must house the inmates and pay for them, because the Feds refuse to cover the expense or deport them.

Inmates in California are allowed to have medically necessary appliances like braces and crutches among other things.  I imagine other states allow them too as an ADA accomodation. Yes, on occasion, they will use those appliances as a weapon on another inmate.  They get charged with battery on an inmate with a weapon when that happens.

I too grew up with a kid who had contracted Polio at a young age, prior to being vaccinated.  He got around on forearm critches just like the photo.  He sometimes wore them in the front, depending what he was doing (and he did a lot).  His nickname was WD-40, because his leg braces had rubber joints that always squeaked.

If he had gone to prison, nobody would have messed with him-- either with or without the crutches.  He had forearms as big as my thighs and could do many reps. with 300# on the bench press.  

Miraculously, about age 22, he began to get back the use of his legs.  Today he walks without the braces and crutches at age 71.   

38 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

He sometimes wore them in the front, depending what he was doing (and he did a lot). 

38 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

He had forearms as big as my thighs

Billy also had arms like that. He made Eagle. Got Hiking merit badge and the 50-miler award on those crutches.

51 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I too grew up with a kid who had contracted Polio at a young age, prior to being vaccinated.  He got around on forearm critches just like the photo.  He sometimes wore them in the front, depending what he was doing (and he did a lot).  His nickname was WD-40, because his leg braces had rubber joints that always squeaked.

If he had gone to prison, nobody would have messed with him-- either with or without the crutches.  He had forearms as big as my thighs and could do many reps. with 300# on the bench press.  

Miraculously, about age 22, he began to get back the use of his legs.  Today he walks without the braces and crutches at age 71.   

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Billy also had arms like that. He made Eagle. Got Hiking merit badge and the 50-miler award on those crutches.

Went to school with a kid that had a bad reaction to the polio vaccine and lost most of the use of his legs. By the 8th grade he was the undisputed arm wrestling champion of grades 7 through 12. 

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Went to school with a kid that had a bad reaction to the polio vaccine and lost most of the use of his legs. By the 8th grade he was the undisputed arm wrestling champion of grades 7 through 12. 

Went to college with a guy just like that.  Was yours red haired?  

I went to with boy with Polio as well. Don't remember much about him. The crutches and his brief case with Buddy Holly glasses. Was one of the smartie pants!

I think every hard core criminal should have these…

…after their Achilles’ tendons are cut. A little message for the newbies and the hardcore buttheads won’t be able to get around so easy. My way of “cutting” recidivism. Any of them act up and use their crutches as clubs they get the flexor tendons cut in their non-dominant arm. They do it again they play third base…as the base. 

Yeah, I am mean. Don’t care. That’s my opinion. I have no good emotions regarding criminals, especially scum that shouldn’t have it so well in prison. 

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Law of the land, tho that seems to be treated casually these days.

Hahaha…are you trying to make me feel shame for my attitude towards scum? That’s flippin’ hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. 

Had a father and son who both had polio at the same time. Dad was a high school math teacher and got by with a cane.  Son was paralized from the waist down but managed to buy a jewelry store and expand it to about a  six store chain.

Another kid was about two years older than me and got around on a bicycle with "training wheels".  He died a couple of years ago and was surrounded by seven  sons and daughters,  sixteen grand kids, and nineteen great grandkids.  He was holder of dozens of patents, mostly stuff to do with guns.

One other boy my age never saw his thirteenth birthday.

Lots of others.  The disease made Covid look like a church picnic.

The Eighth should be protecting the innocents from Jan 6.  Rule of law abandoned.  I have experience with criminals and arrested a few that would have got away with it.  Torture is fine till it is you, and the reason for it is disagreement with the current regime.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

…after their Achilles’ tendons are cut. A little message for the newbies and the hardcore buttheads won’t be able to get around so easy. My way of “cutting” recidivism. Any of them act up and use their crutches as clubs they get the flexor tendons cut in their non-dominant arm. They do it again they play third base…as the base. 

Yeah, I am mean. Don’t care. That’s my opinion. I have no good emotions regarding criminals, especially scum that shouldn’t have it so well in prison. 

Prisons have become affordable long- term care facilities. 

49 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Torture is fine till it is you,

If you’ll scroll up to my post you will see the words “hardcore criminals”. Not talking about anyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you’ll scroll up to my post you will see the words “hardcore criminals”. Not talking about anyone else. 

So, first , second , fourth and eighth are fungible?  No effing way.  There are certainly monsters among us but they must have the same basic rights needed in order to protect the rest of us.  Ol' Freddie said it well. "He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.  And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." The tormentor becomes the tormented. People become what they love and hate..."

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Very common and UNDERSTANDABLE opinion. I once felt the same. Now after 12 or so years working in a prison ministry in a max security Texas prison my perspective has changed a lot. Yeah, there are bad apples. But you meet and work with the guys you quickly realize most of them are just guys like you and me. They just screwed up, and yes, many are a product of their upbringing. Drugs, gangs, violence etc is all they know. Just like when I was a kid I thought everybody's dad took them hunting and fishing. You know me Pat, I'm about 180 degrees from a bleeding heart liberal. Just calling it as I see it.

Su Amigo,

JHC

With regard to Alpo's question, I've seen a number of inmates walking with canes, even a few with walkers. Robertson Unit is home to many inmates in for live or a LONG time. I suppose there are units for those who are severely disabled. Can't say for sure at least here in Texas.

JHC

Archived