SASS Wire Forum

Required porch sittin items

Utah Bob #35998

Got these shots this morning from the front of my house in WV. I always keep my phone on me, just in case. It paid ifff this morning. I stepped off the porch step near my wife’s Suburban and there was a t was, about 30-40 yards away. 

2ACEA748-680B-4BD1-9871-9C1029CAC9F1.thumb.jpeg.5014547065caabf879fb2704cebf73f3.jpeg

13EE0011-B7BD-46CD-9AB8-DFEDE13C367C.thumb.jpeg.26bc524baf6c78c7577a63a82ed6a720.jpeg

04DD3952-78D9-4FA4-8157-C107BFA4EB64.thumb.jpeg.07003ecf32837ef20440608cc8a59a0e.jpeg

My coffee was still in the house. 

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Add firearm, stir as needed.

Firearm is for everywhere.;)

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What are you sittin' on?

You gotta have a rockin' chair.

As of yet I don’t have a rocker. I think it might be a bit too relaxing.

I looked for just the right rocker for ten years.  Coming home form a trip to Prescott and passed a yard sale, turned around and went back.  It was old and needed some repairs, a good cleaning, and re-staining, but I bought it for five dollars.

A young man and his dad restore furniture and I traded him a fringed leather rifle case to fit his mountain rifle ( I had two spares and now have only one) to put in shape.  I paid a few dollars for some stain and sand paper and he glued some slats back in the back and one arm rest had some minor surgery.  I put felt runner tape under the rockers and paid twenty dollars for a custom cushion covered in some fabric I had left from a previous project.

For about thirty five bucks I have very well made solid oak rocker that I sit in every day and just rock and grin for a half hour before I start my day.

I got a side table from Goodwill Industries got twenty five dollars and an electric lamp that has a glass chimney and a glass bowl shade for forty five.  I replaced the socket, wire and plug for another six or seven dollars and the complement it perfectly.

It all came together so nicely that I almost regret giving up my very short-lived career as an interior designer..... but not quite.  (Hey, I had to do something with my GI Bill after I left the Corps.)

The whole package is fabulous therapy.

After the  monsoon season it will all  go out on my sundeck at the rear of the house.  I'll throw down an oval braided rag rug for my dog to lay on and  we'll enjoy the world together.

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Guitar

Sure. And reading material. :D

B2B12CF3-006F-4AC4-AD75-607B3E0418DE.jpeg

83B29C69-FEB4-4FF2-A75E-4E4B496DCB33.jpeg

Does anyone else look at a picture and see something, and then look at it a little harder and realize that wasn't what you saw?

Now Bob there - he mentioned that there's always a firearm. And if you look, on his left side next to his arm are the heads of three shot shells. Obviously the firearm is his Shockwave. Has some sort of underarm ammo carrier for it.

Then I increase the size of the picture. It now appears that he is sitting in a cane back chair, and this is three of the holes in the weave of the cane, showing between the side of his shirt and the side of his arm.

But man, it sure looked like three shot shells when I first saw it. Four of them, actually, because you can just see maybe a quarter of the bottom one above his wrist. :P

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Does anyone else look at a picture and see something, and then look at it a little harder and realize that wasn't what you saw?

Now Bob there - he mentioned that there's always a firearm. And if you look, on his left side next to his arm are the heads of three shot shells. Obviously the firearm is his Shockwave. Has some sort of underarm ammo carrier for it.

Then I increase the size of the picture. It now appears that he is sitting in a cane back chair, and this is three of the holes in the weave of the cane, showing between the side of his shirt and the side of his arm.

But man, it sure looked like three shot shells when I first saw it. Four of them, actually, because you can just see maybe a quarter of the bottom one above his wrist. :P

:lol:

F968607B-1734-48F4-9CB4-17ED5A2D868E.jpeg

Generally speaking, you MUST have a suitable beverage at hand.  Depending on the time of day, AND your state of mind,  the strength of that beverage may vary.

UB! You show the cup, but you don’t specify the beverage!!

On 8/27/2022 at 8:37 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Seems everyone is missing it. Ya got to have a porch, first!

Sadly very few if any houses are built with porches anymore.  Gone are the days when you had neighbors strolling in the afternoons and having short chats with each others.  Heck now you are lucky if you know your neighbors at all!  

On 8/27/2022 at 10:44 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I looked for just the right rocker for ten years.  Coming home form a trip to Prescott and passed a yard sale, turned around and went back.  It was old and needed some repairs, a good cleaning, and re-staining, but I bought it for five dollars.

A young man and his dad restore furniture and I traded him a fringed leather rifle case to fit his mountain rifle ( I had two spares and now have only one) to put in shape.  I paid a few dollars for some stain and sand paper and he glued some slats back in the back and one arm rest had some minor surgery.  I put felt runner tape under the rockers and paid twenty dollars for a custom cushion covered in some fabric I had left from a previous project.

For about thirty five bucks I have very well made solid oak rocker that I sit in every day and just rock and grin for a half hour before I start my day.

I got a side table from Goodwill Industries got twenty five dollars and an electric lamp that has a glass chimney and a glass bowl shade for forty five.  I replaced the socket, wire and plug for another six or seven dollars and the complement it perfectly.

It all came together so nicely that I almost regret giving up my very short-lived career as an interior designer..... but not quite.  (Hey, I had to do something with my GI Bill after I left the Corps.)

The whole package is fabulous therapy.

After the  monsoon season it will all  go out on my sundeck at the rear of the house.  I'll throw down an oval braided rag rug for my dog to lay on and  we'll enjoy the world together.

Ta Da!

B2CC7E83-2120-4F9D-888A-4CAABE47B5B3.jpeg

I do my porch sitting on our back patio every morning.  My must have item is a tobacco pipe and tobacco. 

Amazing to me what an attitude adjustment it is to set alone, be quite, smoke a pipe, sip some coffee, look at the wonder of nature, contemplate on life, be thankful, clear the mind of clutter, and talk with my God. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b4c91c3b6c23d5d7aff5e8dec90e0666.jpeg

On 8/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Gone are the days when you had neighbors strolling in the afternoons and having short chats with each others.  Heck now you are lucky if you know your neighbors at all!  

You say that like it’s a bad thing! :lol:

image.jpeg.c9579b834b5081141efd457da729f41b.jpeg

Archived