SASS Wire Forum

HAPPY DAY!!!! The Squatter Is Gone

Yul Lose

My wife has been working at an avocado and citrus ranch for the last 18 years and for the last 10 or so has been the ranch manager. Some of you may have read my post last year about the squatter in one of their ranch homes. Another person was in charge of the rentals but the squatter caused her so much grief that they turned the rentals over to my wife and for the last 18 months or so she’s been dealing with it. Not only wasn’t he paying the nearly $4,000.00 a month rent (it’s a nice big house) he forced them to pay the electric and water bills also because of the Covid 19 laws. The electric bill was over $900.00 per month and he left the lights on 24/7 had 2 working hot tubs, etc.. He was a guest of the initial renter and when she left he stayed, no lease or agreement of any kind and they couldn’t evict him until March of 2022. The ranch entered into a sales agreement and its contingent on the squatter being gone and my wife is really looking forward to retiring. The attorney got a court order and last Monday was his date to leave. He left a ton of stuff (literally or more) and hasn’t been seen around the ranch  in a week.

This morning the eviction team showed up to finish the eviction, they’re way behind but they called my wife yesterday afternoon and told her today was the day and she was like a kid at Christmas last night. Six San Diego County Sheriffs Deputies showed up, I guess they’ve had some issues in the past, but everything went smoothly. A locksmith  was on hand to change all of the locks. She came home for lunch today and she’s like a new woman, you could tell the stress of the whole sordid affair really took a toll on her. Bottles, line em up drinks are on me.

Glad to hear it!!

The no evictions thing reeked havoc on a lot of rentals in our area. A number of landloads ended up in bankruptcy because of squatters. Where is the help for them?

Glad you wife doesn't have to deal with that any longer, I've seen the stress it caused. Now take your lady out for a celebration retirement dinner.

JEL 

Thank you everyone, today she seems like she is 30 years younger. The weight of the world has been lifted from her shoulders. She’s been through a lot over the last year and a half.

In London, a very long time ago, squatters were (and probably still are) a major problem due to English laws.  Talking to an English athlete / friend, the rough solution back then was to have a Rugby Club beer party at the owner's property.  Things got sorted out in reasonably short order.  Of course we were all younger back then. Glad it all worked out! 

Magnificent news. She deserves a celebration, so head out for a nice dinner.

Bottles, make mine a Jameson Black Barrel. Neat

Good news!

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

In London, a very long time ago, squatters were (and probably still are) a major problem due to English laws.  Talking to an English athlete / friend, the rough solution back then was to have a Rugby Club beer party at the owner's property.  Things got sorted out in reasonably short order.  Of course we were all younger back then. Glad it all worked out! 

Early on I suggested getting a biker gang to move in with the guy but after a little thought I changed my mind. What if the biker gang decided to stay?

We feel your relief Yul.

As landlords ourselves, we've had our share of bad tenants. Sold one of the properties a couple years ago and letting our last one go this year.
Retirement is meant for time for ourselves.

7 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

We feel your relief Yul.

As landlords ourselves, we've had our share of bad tenants. Sold one of the properties a couple years ago and letting our last one go this year.
Retirement is meant for time for ourselves.

Yep, we’ll never be landlords again.

I suggest getting about 3 really big friends and move in with the squatter.  Sleep in shifts and make sure the squatter didn't sleep at all.  It's your house and the squatter doesn't have any legal grounds to be there.  Tell him to call the cops and have you evicted.  Then turn the music up and disable the HVAC unit and water heater.  Go around the house and remove all the light bulbs.  Take the breakers out of the breaker box.  You live there too now.  If he doesn't like it, hit the road.  I'm afraid I wouldn't have the patience to wait 18 months while the squatter costs me money.  

Archived