SASS Wire Forum

Gunshot Survivors more likely to be Victims AGAIN.

I learned something new today that I hadn't thought about it before .  Survivors of gunshot wounds are more likely to be gunshot victims again.

An interesting non-political article that is neither pro or con--other than getting gunshot is bad.  (I gave the author a pass on incorrect use of  "caliber.")

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/06/1103177032/gun-violence-mass-shootings-assault-weapons-victims

In the past, surgeons would treat the wound and send patients on their way, Brown said. But among shooting victims, recidivism rates, or likeliness of being shot again, were sharp.

"The conditions for you getting shot are already in place, and so the chances that you would get shot again, in the next five years were extremely high," Brown said. "And historically, medicine did nothing to change that."

I read the article but also heard a news blurb about this on the radio. The announcer was saying doctors need to do more to get people to change their lifestyles after being shot. Which includes social programs to pay for relocation and housing.  -_-

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I read the article but also heard a news blurb about this on the radio. The announcer was saying doctors need to do more to get people to change their lifestyles after being shot. Which includes social programs to pay for relocation and housing.  -_-

I don't know what measures will be used, but concept has merit. 

Hope this doesn't turn into a political thing here.

This article implies an interesting point (that it doesn't address) that makes me wonder:

How many people in this country are shot every year randomly.   Meaning not specifically targeted by the shooter ("specifically targeted" in my mind would include suicides, gang violence, shot by somebody who was specifically after YOU, or shot by the police because you were comitting a crime).

Obviously "random" happens.    The school in Texas happened.   The grocery in Buffalo happened.  But how many people a year does this happen to?

Life style, community they live in, type of "Career or Work" would seem to be the contributing factors to my tiny little mind, but what do I know.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

How could you abbreviate the new title Doctor of Medicine and Social Engineer? 

D.o.M.a.S.E.

..... pronounced to sound like the meaning of "stupid little donkey" .........

:rolleyes:

CBS news was lamenting a mass shooting in Pennsylvania this weekend.  Three or four were killed, nearly a dozen wounded.  And there have been either 4 or 5 shooters identified.  So, its quite obvious that they were having a spray and pray party, where numerous bystanders ended up taking a round.  

2 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

CBS news was lamenting a mass shooting in Pennsylvania this weekend.  Three or four were killed, nearly a dozen wounded.  And there have been either 4 or 5 shooters identified.  So, its quite obvious that they were having a spray and pray party, where numerous bystanders ended up taking a round.  

Yeah and politicians in Philadelphia want to impact the whole state with gun laws when what they need is to put the phillie scum in prison and toss the key. 

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I don't know what measures will be used, but concept has merit. 

Hope this doesn't turn into a political thing here.

One of the big problems is these victims grow up in a certain area and environment. They would leave for a while but they always seem to migrate back or seek out like minded people in other neighborhoods and they end up in the same situations. 
The victim needs to want change or no amount of money, time or resources is going to fix anything for them. Unfortunately. 

Often I equate them to addicts. Addicts of the environment they’re accustomed to. 

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

This article implies an interesting point (that it doesn't address) that makes me wonder:

How many people in this country are shot every year randomly.   Meaning not specifically targeted by the shooter ("specifically targeted" in my mind would include suicides, gang violence, shot by somebody who was specifically after YOU, or shot by the police because you were comitting a crime).

Obviously "random" happens.    The school in Texas happened.   The grocery in Buffalo happened.  But how many people a year does this happen to?

Along the same lines when you look at home invasions. A high percentage of them are about stealing drugs and money from known dealers. In some minority communities home invasions are against families believed to have money and they don't trust banks. How many home invasions are just random attacks, not many?

I have seen numerous news people, leftists, lib politicians say they are afraid to g to the mall, the church, school, the crockery store because they are afraid they’ll be killed in a mass shooting.
Must be a lot of people staying home. That would explain the nationwide employee shortage,

Seriously though, there is so much fear and ignorance being spread around I think this issue will result in more ineffective laws that only affect law abiding citizens. The murders will continue. 

For decades social engineers have been preaching that children are just disposable clumps of cells, not human and can be discarded with impunity.  Is it any wonder that so many place little or no value on the lives of others?

The reason they get shot a SECOND time is due to piss poor marksmanship the FIRST time. Maybe we should work on THAT.

"The consensus is that no more than five to ten people in a hundred who die by gunfire in Los Angeles are any loss to society. These people fight small wars amongst themselves. It would seem a valid social service to keep them well-supplied with ammunition".

Colonel Jeff Cooper

This brings to mind the old CIA MK-ULTRA program of the 1950s.
One of my supervisors took part in the Army LSD experiments of the time.

I do wonder if there is a similar program working today, that is used to influence the minds of the unstable, and encourage them to do mass shootings.
It seems like there is a huge number of them, as we start into the mid-term election season.

NPR does not do straight unbiased reporting and hasn't for some time. Much of the crime occurs in large blue cities, in areas where you would not want to live. I could elaborate, but then this would end up being a political diatribe.

Archived