SASS Wire Forum

Well I did it

Rye Miles #13621

I posted awhile back about whether or not to sell my AR 15 that I've shot ONE time in over a year and a half. Well, she's gone.....................

Got a pretty good price from a friend of a good friend. The guy was looking for one so I said HEY!!! I got one of those!!!

I hate safe queens especially pricey ones!

IMG_2129.JPG

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Oh, so evil!

Now the liberals will think I'm okay!!:lol:

I have one have shot it only a couple of times. But I just rejoined a club that has long distance rifle areas. Not that I'm looking at any real long distance shooting. But my other club only has about a 100 yard rifle range. Want to shoot my AR, Marlin  45-70 and 44-40 a little more.

44 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

No , they won’t 

I’m kidding, see the laughing emoji?

I was considering selling mine but decided to keep it for coyote hunting in PA or WV. Turns out you can’t hunt in PA with a semiauto. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was considering selling mine but decided to keep it for coyote hunting in PA or WV. Turns out you can’t hunt in PA with a semiauto. 

Did they change that law in CA also ? When I lived there I used to hunt birds and small game with semi autos all the time. Only thing I used a bolt gun for was deer 

Just now, Buckshot Bob said:

Did they change that law in CA also ? When I lived there I used to hunt birds and small game with semi autos all the time. Only thing I used a bolt gun for was deer 

Not sure. I won’t give these sonsof…bastages one single dime in the DFG. 

Something I think is funny, the PA hunting regs, minus season charts, takes up 2 pages. The Commie regs here take a flippin’ 75 pages and that’s just for mammals. The bird regs take 102 pages. To be fair that does include season charts. 

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Sshhhh..... don't give the Emperor any ideas~!!   :huh:   :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Yeah think I'll just hold onto my 2 that I have left. Lots of not so nice types around these days.

I have pretty much decided that for the nasty people my Ruger PC Carbine backs up my M1 Garand nicely. ;)

I will hold onto the AR mostly because I have a boatload of mags and accessories for it. 

13 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Yeah think I'll just hold onto my 2 that I have left. Lots of not so nice types around these days.

I’ve been in to rifles that hold at least 30 rounds and pistols that hold at least 15 since a young age . I probably have more than I need but definitely not as many as I want . I still find it hard to beat a properly set up 12ga , as long as I have some slugs I feel pretty good about 100 yards or closer . I figure those are zombie apocalypse distances .  A few months ago I picked up a Beretta 1301 tactical, I’m really starting to like that gun . Think I might shoot a Turkey with it in the spring season 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Something I think is funny, the PA hunting regs, minus season charts, takes up 2 pages. The Commie regs here take a flippin’ 75 pages and that’s just for mammals. The bird regs take 102 pages. To be fair that does include season charts. 

I remember when california had "Coastal" and "Inland" zones, plus a few "X" zones 'way up in the northern part of the state.

Lessee.... last year, the state had 44 regular deer zones, including 17 "X" zones.

Each zone had at least two seasons - archery and general.  Additionally, there were over 50 "special seasons" in there somewhere.

And when this nonsense started some marketing wag proclaimed "Hunters!  You now have MORE hunting opportunities!" or some such.

Oh... and be aware ~ zone boundaries change.  More than once I've found myself leaving an area I'd hunted for years after discovering it was no longer in the zone I always bought tags for. 

I once visited the DFG office in Fresno to ask for help determining what zone I needed tags for, as the boundaries had been changed.  I took with me my topo maps and their maps; two of their staffers tried to help, but finally gave up.  I was advised that I would have find a local warden to ask, then buy my tags.  This would have entailed about a ten hour round trip drive.  

I stayed home that year.  And a lot of years since.

2 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Oh... and be aware ~ zone boundaries change.  More than once I've found myself leaving an area I'd hunted for years after discovering it was no longer in the zone I always bought tags for. 

Oh yeah, I found out I was in the wrong zone once by literally 100 yards. The DFG guy was cool about it but still, that zone X had the same boundaries 5 years in a row but they shifted one year with no explanation or highlighting. 
Used to be only one Zone X. It was the worst success ratio in the state and I got that one every blooming year. 
Then I moved to the Sacramento area and tried for 3 really good zones and those mother…SOBs gave me Zone X again “because I had it so many times before!” 
Screw CA DFG!

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I worked for CA DFG for over 40 years, the last 9 of which I was a Regional Manager of the  12-county Central Region.   

You absolutely nailed the correct description.  I watched their interest wane year after year in hunting and fishing as their lawyer numbers grow to more than 100.  They redirected ALL of their Fisheries and Wildlife Management Biologist positions to environmental regulation positions.  Some of that would have been a good thing in a state populated like California, but when the lawyers took control, things just became too one sided.  I retired out of disgust, as did a number of the other old-timers. 

For what it's worth, I join you in refusing to buy a hunting or fishing license here.  After all, there's little left to hunt or fish for now on public lands. 

Sad requiem for a once front-runner State F &G  Department. 

By the way, here’s my AR just to make certain folks eyes bleed. Forty hates this thing. Hahahahaha :lol:

F0F03DD4-04AD-41D7-87BF-088B40F26AA2.thumb.jpeg.5f5256686632490a5384226fafad2471.jpeg

It’s California “Featureless”…ya gotta say that with a lisp. :lol:

1 minute ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I agree. I remember when I could call the DFG and talk to Biologists and Game Officers about areas I wanted to hunt and get really good info from them. That all went away. Sad indeed. 

Oh, the same cancer struck in Oregon. 

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I worked for CA DFG for over 40 years, the last 9 of which I was a Regional Manager of the  12-county Central Region.   

You absolutely nailed the correct description.  I watched their interest wane year after year in hunting and fishing as their lawyer numbers grow to more than 100.  They redirected ALL of their Fisheries and Wildlife Management Biologist positions to environmental regulation positions.  Some of that would have been a good thing in a state populated like California, but when the lawyers took control, things just became too one sided.  I retired,, as did a number of the other old-timers. 

For what it's worth, I join you in refusing to buy a hunting or fishing license here.  After all, there's little left to hunt or fish for now on public lands. 

That’s a shame, I lived in Susanville when I was there . There was always great hunting and fishing in that area of the state . I took a very nice mule deer the first year I ever hunted there . Being from Mi it was really weird hunting deer when it’s warm out 

7 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Thank you for your service. :)

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

That’s a shame, I lived in Susanville when I was there . There was always great hunting and fishing in that area of the state . I took a very nice mule deer the first year I ever hunted there . Being from Mi it was really weird hunting deer when it’s warm out 

I've always loved the Northeastern antelope area from Honey Lake and  Susanville, up through surprise Valley,  Nicely, Alturas, and Goose Lake, especially the Warner Mts. area.  If my wife could tolerate the sub-freezing winter temperatures there, I would be retired up there now.  But you're correct that summer and fall temps can be quite warm.   

(I am sure my wife is noticing the far away look in my eyes right now)

I have bought so many guns that I "had to have."  Sat in front of the TV and played with them for an hour or so and then put them back in the box and into the safe.  Some are several years old and still unfired.  As I have gotten older I would rather have the cash in my pocket than a piece of iron in the safe.  I only have one daughter and she has zero interest in guns.  Some collector or custom guns I "miss" after they are sold but ARs are fungible.  One is pretty much like another so selling them is no big deal anymore.

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

By the way, here’s my AR just to make certain folks eyes bleed. Forty hates this thing. Hahahahaha :lol:

F0F03DD4-04AD-41D7-87BF-088B40F26AA2.thumb.jpeg.5f5256686632490a5384226fafad2471.jpeg

It looks like a stormtrooper gun from Star Wars! So you will not be able to hit anything!

8 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have bought so many guns that I "had to have."  Sat in front of the TV and played with them for an hour or so and then put them back in the box and into the safe.  Some are several years old and still unfired.  As I have gotten older I would rather have the cash in my pocket than a piece of iron in the safe.  I only have one daughter and she has zero interest in guns.  Some collector or custom guns I "miss" after they are sold but ARs are fungible.  One is pretty much like another so selling them is no big deal anymore.

ARs have a purpose and a very functional design, but nobody would ever credit one as being visually beautiful, or want one hung over their mantle.  The black guns with no wood look to me like space toys.  I have trouble getting excited about them--a matter of upbringing, I suspect. JMHO.  

5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I've always loved the Northeastern antelope area from Honey Lake and  Susanville, up through surprise Valley,  Nicely, Alturas, and Goose Lake, especially the Warner Mts. area.  If my wife could tolerate the sub-freezing winter temperatures there, I would be retired up there now.  But you're correct that summer and fall temps can be quite warm.   

(I am sure my wife is noticing the far away look in my eyes right now)

I always loved that area . Would have found it easy to stay if not for the crazy political climate and the cost of living. It drove me out in the early 90’s . But I do miss the natural beauty of it , I’m sure the Bay Area was a paradise for the people of the 1800’s .

I had a friend that was born and raised in Salinas , he told me once that the year round median temp there was something like 68 deg . I could really see how that would be appealing in the days before central heating and ac . 

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I posted awhile back about whether or not to sell my AR 15 that I've shot ONE time in over a year and a half. Well, she's gone.....................

Got a pretty good price from a friend of a good friend. The guy was looking for one so I said HEY!!! I got one of those!!!

I hate safe queens especially pricey ones!

IMG_2129.JPG

Just like you gave up on 44-40s.  You're fickle Rye.  :D

14 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Just like you gave up on 44-40s.  You're fickle Rye.  :D

No just practical! ;)

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Some of Mine just one of those things I had them for years military so build them and  all for different purposes 

IMG_4866.jpg

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If you need some more .44-40s I found four in the back of one safe.

Dont tease me like that even though that in one caliber I have zero ammo for 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You can fix that thing soon!

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have pretty much decided that for the nasty people my Ruger PC Carbine backs up my M1 Garand nicely. ;)

I will hold onto the AR mostly because I have a boatload of mags and accessories for it. 

Had a AR9 didn't like it rather the AR15. Thats why 1 set up with red dot , the other with a 1x4 IL scope. Got a good supply of mags for them.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Actually thought about getting that stock for a 277 wolverine AR I had. 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve been in to rifles that hold at least 30 rounds and pistols that hold at least 15 since a young age . I probably have more than I need but definitely not as many as I want . I still find it hard to beat a properly set up 12ga , as long as I have some slugs I feel pretty good about 100 yards or closer . I figure those are zombie apocalypse distances .  A few months ago I picked up a Beretta 1301 tactical, I’m really starting to like that gun . Think I might shoot a Turkey with it in the spring season 

I've got a couple Mossy 500's and a savage 20 along with the hammer double. Mainly keep these for the house and around the yard at night. Otherwise close range weapons for me. I'll take the AR15 for anything with range of 50 yards and out. I practice occasionally using a 4" plate at 100 yards. My poverty ponies (Anderson Builds) can hit pretty good. ;)

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

ARs have a purpose and a very functional design, but nobody would ever credit one as being visually beautiful, or want one hung over their mantle.  The black guns with no wood look to me like space toys.  I have trouble getting excited about them--a matter of upbringing, I suspect. JMHO.  

Maybe over the bedroom doorway...............

Archived