SASS Wire Forum

How do you prepare your watermelon?

You could always remove the rind first! We do it with oranges and grapefruit, etc.

Snip-it_1639311678658.jpg.c94cda385b1690bba82c49da26736b06.jpg

Now halve it equatorially.  (Should have been your first step, it’s easier to peel when sitting flat).  Slice each peeled half vertically (pole to equator) like a loaf of bread.  The seeds will be easy to fillet out of each slice since they are exposed in a band.  Store any pieces not eaten immediately in a big tupperware container with a lid to keep them moist.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh man...never rid the rind!!!

Many childhood memories munching that big green smile!

Birds like the rinds, so do squirrels and chipmunks!

image.png.8a3516634f92a46347ac395b7f9f14c5.png

Red Squirrel Examining Carved Hollow Photograph by Geert Weggen

We laughed last summer, as I put some pieces of 'too ripe' mellon chunks in a feeder bowl on the back porch. (Never left, never too much to be considered bait)

The Sterling (?) Jays were picking seeds out of the pieces, when Mr. Chimpunk ran down his tree and snatched up the pieces, one by one...up to his nest.

I assume little ones had a treat that day.

8 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ I didn't bother ........ 

13F3A45E-21CC-4C12-87F2-347CF3D0853C.jpeg.5f239824a00b988a16fe824308c1315e.jpeg

My Mother would have loved this one. 

She made delicious Watermelon Rind Pickles!!!!!!!

Dad would put a melon in a number 3 washtub, that was full of ice, from the ice-house. 

It would be in there for a while, then he would cut it, and give us slices. 

Dusting the slice with a little salt, we would eat down to the rind, and into it as well. 

We only had candy on halloween, but we had the next best thing during the summer, that being a watermelon. 

Growing up with no air-conditioning, a slice of cold watermelon, on a 100+ degree day, was, and is, a treat. 

A neighbor would make pickles out of the rind. She made them as sweet as candy. 

Watermelon is a big crop, especially in east Texas, where there is a lot of sandy-loam soil. We hauled hay, and watermelons, during the summer, to earn some money. The hay was easier, since it had bailing wire on it, that we could grasp. They never did develop any watermelons with handles, so hauling them from the field to the storage building was more difficult. Obviously, genetics has its limits.

Oh...did I mention watermelon wine...or...moonshine? 

We were all members of the "Midnight Melon Pistol Club". We would eat watermelon until midnight, and pistol dawn.  :lol: 

My Grandpappy would stand a watermelon on end, and ram a broom handle almost all the way through top to bottom. Then he would fill a pop bottle with shine, or whiskey or whatever he had and stick the bottle upside down in the hole in the melon, and let it sit for a day or two in the icebox. I was never allowed to try it, but the stories my Granny would tell were hilarious.

I watched someone do several at a buffet a couple of years ago. He stood it on end and sliced the sides off, working his way to the ends. Once peeled, he sliced it up pretty quickly. 

I'm the only one in my house who eats watermelon (and I prefer yellow to red).  I usually buy one or two a year, and eat a slice a day for a week or so before I get my fill.  I cut it cross grain, and slice off a inch or so section per day.  

Archived