SASS Wire Forum

Ammo info

Price increases aren't all that bad.  Based on what primers are going for on various web sites, averaging around $75/1,000 + tax, shipping and hazmat, $41-45 a thousand seems like a bargain.  Hopefully, one day they'll be available at retail.  A local store hasn't seen any primers in over 7 months, and doesn't expect to see any for a while.

From this letter, and other indicators, it will be a very long time before things are stable, and sanity has been restored. 

I figure we might be saying this same thing, next year at this time, and perhaps a lot longer than that. 

We are not suppose to worry too much about things we have no control over...right???

I'll just save my money, and wait...we shall see who blinks first. 

Sooner, or later, the economic laws will kick in. Yep...it may just be later than sooner. 

IMO this will continue through next year. From what I keep seeing, we could very well be under another lock down after the first of the year due to the COVID mutation. What a freaking mess. Make me just want to scream!Cartoon Pulling Hair Out Collection Picture | fun ideas | Pinterest | Photos, Cartoon and Pictures

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

IMO this will continue through next year. From what I keep seeing, we could very well be under another lock down after the first of the year due to the COVID mutation. What a freaking mess. Make me just want to scream!Cartoon Pulling Hair Out Collection Picture | fun ideas | Pinterest | Photos, Cartoon and Pictures

A FOX host had a Canadian biomedical researcher on who was involved in the development & evaluation of the mRNA vaccines, Moderna & Pfiser.  He stated that these vaccines are a host virus the has a SARS Covid -2 spike protein added.  The vaccine teaches your immune system to produce antibodies that recognize the spike protein.  The problem with these antibodies is the more the virus is in the wild the more it mutates & the vaccine immunity becomes less effective in preventing infection.  Natural immunity much more effective & longer lasting; because, your immune system was exposed to the complete virus.   So, the medical experts that use words like "may be as effective as vaccines" in preventing disease when talking about natural immunity are either lying or are pseudo experts spouting government lies.  There is a reason they don't report breakout infections of people who recovered from a Covid infection.

While pricing has come down but not to pre panic levels, it IS nice to see ammo on the shelves again, and staying there for more than 30 seconds.

Perhaps we've reached some sort of buyer burnout on the emergency ammo hoarding phenomenon?

We have seen a marked increase of availability across the board of retailers for sg ammo, primers and regular pistol and rifle ammo. Both for availability and for length of time that it is instore after arrival of shipments. We bought around 5.5K of sp primers in the last 2 weeks. That will do for about 2 good loading sessions. I stopped buying sg shells because I have enough for now.

kR

22 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

63A107CD-DDF7-4D1C-B28C-8FC5CFB69B8F.jpeg

What a meloncholy situation. Mercy!

I've been following prices and availability pretty closely, both at places like Midway, Grafs, Brownells, and at Gunbroker.  As Kid Rich pointed out, we're seeing more sustained availability.  Midway and Brownells have been offering a variety of primers over the last few weeks, and multiple places are selling SASS suitable shotgun ammo.

Back in May, I couldn't find primers anywhere other than Gunbroker at prices were above $1,000 for 5,000 Federal SPP.  A little over a month ago prices had dropped to a little over $700 for 5,000, and now prices are hovering in the $500s for 5,000. 

Remington 12 gauge is being sold for less than $10 a box again, though there is often a 1 case limit. 

It's getting better.

It is funny that you would post something about this right now … Because …

Just the other day I was re-arranging some stuff and noticed the Anoka, MN address on a box of pistol primers … AND … decided to search around a bit.  

I had always kind of been "upset" thinking that the government was somehow contributing to the shortages.

… Mainly …

Because during the Obama presidency … I watched some Trey Gowdy videos (when he was in Congress/Oversite Committee) asking for an accounting of where billions of rounds of ammo were actually going (big purchase orders for people like Social Security etc).

… Anyhow ... 

I figured this was the government using "our money" to effect a limited gun control program (make it hard for us to find ammo).

I became "more" "upset" after Trump came into office and the practice appeared to continue (big purchases … for small agencies and so large they could easily supply the entire armed forces).

The very first thing I stepped on was an article (March 2017 … just as President Trump began his term) …

>> a few excerpts <<

"In all, 172 workers downsized through layoffs and buyouts since about March 1. The Anoka facility cites slow market as the cause." 

"As the election approached, fears of possible new gun control laws in the United States resulted in increased firearms sales, including ammunition. As worries dissipated with the election of President Donald Trump, a known opponent of government regulations, gun and ammunition sales have fallen, industry watchers said."

"Federal Cartridge’s downsizing came as a surprise to state officials, who as recently as November had approved $1.15 million in state grants and loans toward a $33.9 million factory expansion and efficiency project in Anoka. The state aid came with the company’s promise of 50 new jobs."

https://www.startribune.com/more-layoffs-at-federal-cartridge-in-anoka/417476093/

Sooooooooooooo …

Boy was I wrong … It appears the whole time the government might have actually been making these huge purchases to support the industry … 

Here in Phoenix they have found stashes of ammo in government buildings … huge amounts .. They are trying to find out how it got there and where they all are.

This Anoka plant was all cocked and loaded to do an expansion but cut back "because we just weren't keeping them busy enough!!". eusa_doh.gif.32b1053b4f6b7e633644734719ba4c6c.gif

Anyone who thinks that prices on anything are going back to where they were 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, or 5, or 10, or 20, or 30, or 40 years ago are just dreaming.  Costs of producing, marketing, shipping, wholesaling, retailing, payroll continue to go up everyday.  So you bought a house in the 70's for 80 thousand and today it's worth 500 thousand and your happy. But, when you go to buy another house that you think should be 200 thousand but it's 700 thousand you can't understand why.  That 1974 Chevy fully loaded pickup was 4 thousand but today it's 60 thousand.  What happened?   PROGRESS.  INFLATION.  

We are in another inflationary time.  Just go to the grocery store.  As they used to say, "just roll with the punches folks".

17 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Anyone who thinks that prices on anything are going back to where they were 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, or 5, or 10, or 20, or 30, or 40 years ago are just dreaming.  Costs of producing, marketing, shipping, wholesaling, retailing, payroll continue to go up everyday.  So you bought a house in the 70's for 80 thousand and today it's worth 500 thousand and your happy. But, when you go to buy another house that you think should be 200 thousand but it's 700 thousand you can't understand why.  That 1974 Chevy fully loaded pickup was 4 thousand but today it's 60 thousand.  What happened?   PROGRESS.  INFLATION.  

We are in another inflationary time.  Just go to the grocery store.  As they used to say, "just roll with the punches folks".

I agree.  They may get better, but they're not going to go back to pre pandemic levels.  I just spotted 5,000 Federal SPP for $550 and jumped on them.

And in todays market, Captain Bill Burt, that's not an outrageous price.   Just the fact that you were able to get 5,000 SPP instead of just 1,000 was a find.  Most dealers or on-line sights are limiting purchases to 1,000 or less.

Our store has not even been able to backorder cases of any primers.  

Archived