SASS Wire Forum

eBay... aaggghhhh!

Three Foot Johnson

OK, not eBay so much as some of the sellers.

I won a 20g MEC Super Sizer about a month back. When it arrived, I dropped a 20g shell into it, and it didn't fit! A couple minutes experimenting revealed it had a 28g collet in it. I notified the seller, and he said, "Send it back and I'll give you a full refund". I told him I wanted him to refund shipping both ways too, as it was his fault he listed it wrong. That didn't go over well, of course. So... two trips to town to the post office, pickup and return, and $15 shipping each way just to take a look at it? I said, "How about you just find a 20g collet and send it to me?" He declined that solution too. The best price I could find on a 20g collet was from Graf's, and so I'm now into a used SS77 Super Sizer for about $20 more than I could have bought it for new. Grrrr.

The seller offered a refund, and it is normal to not reimburse shipping. Since it was my decision to refuse the refund and buy the part instead, there are no grounds for a legitimate dispute. :mellow: Oh well, crap happens.

Yes, give him a concise, well thought out negative review!

I'm kind of torn on that, but it's not a HUGE deal. The seller did offer a refund in a conventional manner (less shipping), and I'm the one who made the decision to buy the part instead of shipping it back, so...

I don't get it.

If I ordered, oh let's say a pair of shoes. When they arrived I decided that pink was not my color, and he had said that returns were accepted, so I send them back to get my money back. since it was my decision to not keep them I can understand me having to eat the return shipping.

But if when the shoe showed up they were size six instead of size 11 like it said they were in the blurb, he not only needs to refund my purchase price but he needs to refund my shipping both ways. I don't know whether he would have accidentally marked them wrong, or whether he intentionally marked them wrong, but either way he marked them wrong, which makes it his fault, which means he needs to refund me everything.

So you buy a 20 gauge Dingus and it's not a 20 gauge Dingus it's a 28 gauge dingus? He needs to give you full purchase price refund plus shipping refund plus whatever the hell it costs for you to ship it back to him. Because it's his screw up. Why should you have to lose money on his screw up?

38 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But if when the shoe showed up they were size six instead of size 11 like it said they were in the blurb, he not only needs to refund my purchase price but he needs to refund my shipping both ways.

That's the way it works with most businesses. But that's not how it works on Ebay.

Generally, when I sell something, I specify that I will pay shipping both ways if the buyer is not satisfied. Whether it was my fault or not. I check everything I sell carefully and rarely get returns or complaints. Maybe I'm just lucky.

But not everybody operates that way.

I have 100% positive reviews for the last 20 years. Both buying and selling.

ebay is so fun. I sold a stack of Muzzle Blasts magazines to a lady. This is the magazine put out by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc. She contacted me wanting her money back claiming they didn't have anything in them about muzzleloading. I had duplicates of the issues she bought so I went through and listed a few of the muzzle loading features in a few of the magazines she had. I said no, I'm not refunding your money. Some people's kids...

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The seller offered a refund, and it is normal to not reimburse shipping. Since it was my decision to refuse the refund and buy the part instead, there are no grounds for a legitimate dispute. :mellow: Oh well, crap happens.

That is correct for a normal return.  When an item is not as described, that is misrepresentation/false advertising.  Intentional or accidental, the buyer should not pay anything but a little time.

Just a thought, don't need one myself, but a new 28 ga collet is about $65 maybe list your used 28 ga collet on E-Bay, I would think it would bring $30+ anyways.

It might help bring your cost back down.

At least it sounds like he wasn't intentionally trying to get to you.

(unlike a Webley air pistol I bought where the corners of the grips were over the horizon.

Turns out both side were missing a corner.)

1 hour ago, Earl Brasse, SASS #3562 said:

Just a thought, don't need one myself, but a new 28 ga collet is about $65 maybe list your used 28 ga collet on E-Bay, I would think it would bring $30+ anyways.

$46.99 at Graf's, same as the 20, 16, and 12. But, yes, I can probably get $30 out of it easy enough... but I also have a Stoeger 28g SxS. :mellow: I'll probably never use it for 28g though.

Having to pay return shipping because the seller listed it wrong?  That ought to be picked up by the seller.  I'd leave a negative review with all of the pertinent info, including that a refund was offered, but seller should have picked up return shipping due to the incorrect listing.

I bought what was listed as Colt SAA grips off eBay. When I got them they where way two small to fit a Colt SAA.  I tried them on the Peacemaker model and they were too big.  I don't know what they may have fit.  I they were Fitz brand and had Colt SAA cast inside.  I took pictures and sent them to the seller.   He refunded price and shipping to return.  

In mid-August I bought some Colt SAA bolt and hand from a saller that I'd bought from before.   Tracking showed them coming to our post office.  They were not delivered.  Checking at post office, they said the whole bag of mail had been tracked from the KC distribution center and my package wasn't in the bag.  30 days had past and I contacted the seller.   End of story - the seller shipped out a new set of parts and I got them in 5 days.  The tracking number for the first parts still say "in transit but arriving late".   

The first gun that I bough from an online auction site (that site has since gone out of business) was a Remington model 8.  It was from a seller in Massachusetts and was listed as a .30 Remington.  When it arrived it was actually a .32 Remington.  The last ammunition for that was made in 1977.  Seller said he would refund my money but not return shipping.  The rifle was in great condition so I figured that a set of .32 Remington dies would get me going and never bothered the seller again, but did mention the discrepancy in the feedback I left him.  Then I found out what dies cost for out of production calibers....  

BTW, you CAN NOT use .32 Special dies to full length resize this caliber, the shoulder and body taper is different.

Duffield

Archived