SASS Wire Forum

What would have been the result?

Alpo

My battery was dead, so I plugged into charger and it charged all day long. Nighttime came and it was still showing CHARGING.

I figured I just leave it charging overnight. Another 12 hours and it should bound to be charged up. and this charger is got a thing built into it so it will not overcharge. Battery gets full and it goes on to a sort of standby mode.

But then I decided no I won't do that. I unplugged it and put the cord away, set the charger inside the truck where it was out of the dew.

About an hour later I'm thinking, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE?

Open the front door and turn on the outdoor light and see that a giant cow is apparently pissing on my driveway.

So I wondered. If it had still been sitting out there plugged in, converting AC into DC when that gully washer happened, what would have happened?

My charger would get wet?

My charger would decide to short out, flipping a breaker in the house.

My charger would explode and burn my truck up?

I'd imagine the cow would get a nice jolt if the pee stream made contact with both leads.

Charger would definitely get wet. It might trip a breaker in the house. I don't think it would hurt the charger, but anything is possible when mixing electricity and water.

Okay, it wasn’t exactly a cow, guys. It was raining hard, “Like a cow pissin on a flat rock”, as they say. A real gully washer, a palmetto pounder, a frog strangler.
If the charger was out in it it mighta got ruins.

I just bought a new charger. My old one was 20 years old at least. The new one is sealed, solid state tech.I don’t know if it would be okay or not. It’s a wee thing, maybe 5-6 inches long and less than a pound.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-genius2-noco-genius-2-charger-maintainer.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwr7X4BRA4EiwAUXjbtwe8UqjCBKERmXgdYp59D6VkxE_cTQvaRrM83qEg57ZnOIotr4SJKBoCA-kQAvD_BwE

28 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

might be just me, but ain't this thread a little weird? A cow and a charger???

Well, there’s another thread on this page about a rhino and a station wagon.  Maybe it’s a Dodge Charger!

:ph34r:

Alpo!  It’s sure good to hear that bizarre, weird $%i£ like that happens to people other than me!  You sure you ain’t makin’ this up? 

(I realize that you had disconnected the whole set up and stored the charger in your vehicle before the rain  made its appearance.).  I have a charger I bought at Sears in 1975, and it’s still reliable.  I wouldn’t make a habit of it, but I doubt, unless the charger was submerged, that the rain, the cow (or other things), ;) would cause the charger to short or fail.

Also, it shouldn’t take 12 hours to charge the battery, if it will take a charge.  if it hasn’t adequately charged in four hours, the battery is likely dead and needs replacement.  And, even if it rained on the charger, it likely wouldn’t short.

Cat Brules

I thought that was nationwide. Is it just a southernism?

It's a reference to the intensity of the rain storm. The rain is coming down so hard that when it hits the ground it bounces 6 or 8 inches back up in the air. It's coming down like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Not to be confused with a frog strangler. That refers more to the quantity of rain. When so much rain is coming down that the frogs can't keep their heads above water.

So y'all are saying that the most probably would have happened is the breaker would have popped, and I would need to make sure that it was really dry before I used it again?

In the last half a year I’ve been laid up so much that Ol’ Green ain’t been driven much. It sits around long enough sometimes that the clock on the radio and a couple of low amperage add ons will drag the battery down to where it won’t start.

i have one of those high dollar small size chargers.   I get it hooked up and then I put the charger and the end of the extension cord under the hood and lower the hood just short of fully closed and I don’t have to worry about weather!!

if my shop isn’t full, Ol Green sleeps indoors!!

Depending ot what type of charger you have, it could trip a breaker, short out and burn out AND trip a breaker, short out and quit, or just keep on keeping on!!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I thought that was nationwide. Is it just a southernism?

It's a reference to the intensity of the rain storm. The rain is coming down so hard that when it hits the ground it bounces 6 or 8 inches back up in the air. It's coming down like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Not to be confused with a frog strangler. That refers more to the quantity of rain. When so much rain is coming down that the frogs can't keep their heads above water.

So y'all are saying that the most probably would have happened is the breaker would have popped, and I would need to make sure that it was really dry before I used it again?

I guess Yankees ain’t never heared it much. :lol:

This was been another thrilling adventure " Inside the Mind of Alpo." Tune in next week to see what amazing and thought provoking wonders will come from "Inside the Mind of Alpo."

Likely, if the power source used (typically, a “standard” 110VAC power outlet) is a standard house plug, a equipment “short circuit,” a utility power surge, etc., will result in the related power-source’s circuit breaker “popping” (opening), and cutting off electric power to the 110VAC power outlet...instantly!  So, if the battery charger shorts out, generally, the power outlet shuts down so quickly......you almost can’t blink your eyes that fast (1/30th second).

Cat Brules

If the DC side of the charger fails, the 110v side can continue to work indefinitely.  When the 12v side finally erupts into flame or the heat from the failure becomes too intense, then the AC side may finally short.

22 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Alpo!  It’s sure good to hear that bizarre, weird $%i£ like that happens to people other than me!  You sure you ain’t makin’ this up? 

(I realize that you had disconnected the whole set up and stored the charger in your vehicle before the rain  made its appearance.).  I have a charger I bought at Sears in 1975, and it’s still reliable.  I wouldn’t make a habit of it, but I doubt, unless the charger was submerged, that the rain, the cow (or other things), ;) would cause the charger to short or fail.

Also, it shouldn’t take 12 hours to charge the battery, if it will take a charge.  if it hasn’t adequately charged in four hours, the battery is likely dead and needs replacement.  And, even if it rained on the charger, it likely wouldn’t short.

Cat Brules

It takes a long time to charge a truck battery with a 2amp charger.  

Archived