SASS Wire Forum

Rangers’ new stadium!

Utah Bob #35998

In 1994, I traveled to Dallas on business, and with a local colleague, I went to the new “Ballpark in Arlington”.  I thought it was a beautiful ballpark.  I don’t remember grousing about the lack of air conditioning, but that was my only visit.  I’m surprised that it is getting replaced so quickly.

If you want good looks and an old-timey baseball stadium feel, go to Baltimore, Minnesota, NY, or Chicago and enjoy.

If you live in Texas, and want to see a ballgame in June, July or August without having to wear long sleeve fishing shirts, long pants and having to bring and cooler full of water/Gatorade, then the air conditioned comfort of the billion dollar quonset hut will do just fine.

2 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

If you want good looks and an old-timey baseball stadium feel, go to Baltimore, Minnesota, NY, or Chicago and enjoy.

If you live in Texas, and want to see a ballgame in June, July or August without having to wear long sleeve fishing shirts, long pants and having to bring and cooler full of water/Gatorade, then the air conditioned comfort of the billion dollar quonset hut will do just fine.

Cleveland also!!

Just wait 'til the first World Series game gets played there~!  :rolleyes:

O' course, it might be a while...  whistling.gif

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Cleveland also!!

I’v never had the pleasure of seeing an Indian’s game at Progressive Field . From everything I’ve seen on TV, it looks like a great ballpark.

If you want to see a beautiful baseball stadium come to Pittsburgh. PNC park was designed for nothing but baseball.

Perfect sight lines with seating right along the foul lines and a home run actually leaves the park and might even land in the river.

Too bad there isn’t a decent team to play in it

1 hour ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

I’v never had the pleasure of seeing an Indian’s game at Progressive Field . From everything I’ve seen on TV, it looks like a great ballpark.

It truly is a great place to watch a game. It was built in 1994, so it's still pretty new! ;)

42 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It truly is a great place to watch a game. It was built in 1994, so it's still pretty new! ;)

I certainly liked the name ‘Jacobs Field ‘ better than the present name though. Maybe some day I’ll get back up that way to catch a game.

Yep...many of us, down here, were scratching our heads over them "needing" to build a new baseball stadium for the Rangers.  The existing one, was not that old, and seemed just fine.  No, it did not have a retractable roof, nor any air-conditioning in the blistering hot summers we have.  But...we later found out that the Rangers ownership seemed to vaguely allude that a new stadium needed to be built, or the team "could" move.  So...the city of Arlington took the hint, and buckled.  The new stadium will seat less fans, is really butt-ugly, compared to the old stadium, but it is capable of being air-conditioned, and has some food courts added, I believe. Of course if you live in Arlington, you are paying higher taxes, for not only this new stadium, but the AT&T stadium that is in close proximity, where the Cowboys "try" to play.  You also have Six Flags (which isn't six flags anymore, since one of the six flags was a Confederate flag), there, and a few other things.  The parking costs, for AT&T stadium, are high, as are the ticket prices, and most of us are sure the new Ranger stadium will be just as bad.

The ironic part of this is, because of the virus, the brand new ugly Rangers ball park has sat as empty as a liberal politician's head, since the baseball "season" hasn't started...yet.   

W.K.  

10 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

I certainly liked the name ‘Jacobs Field ‘ better than the present name though. Maybe some day I’ll get back up that way to catch a game.

There's a lot of us Tribe fans who still call it "The Jake";)

16 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros, has air conditioning.  It’s usually shut all summer so ticketed fans can the game in comfort while eating an over-priced hotdog.

Dang, it is ugly. :( We live about 175 miles from there, but rarely go to games. Big cities 'bout give me a rash, unless we're flying out we pretty much avoid the Metroplex. I get the air conditioning, but was sad to hear about them leaving the old park. Went to a few games there and it was absolutely drop dead gorgeous!

JHC

So back in the day the pictures show fans with hats, shirts and ties, and suit coats on. I guess they didn't faint in the heat. Bunch of wusses if you ask me. Food courts will be serving quiche and a selection of fine wines. Man buns and skinny jeans will be the standard dress.

20 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

So back in the day the pictures show fans with hats, shirts and ties, and suit coats on. I guess they didn't faint in the heat. Bunch of wusses if you ask me. Food courts will be serving quiche and a selection of fine wines. Man buns and skinny jeans will be the standard dress.

You are somewhat correct about the food but most people at ball games nowadays wear their favorite team gear. Not too many man buns and skinny jeans. I wouldn't want to go to a game wearing a suit and hat in 80-90 degree weather! That was in the 30's and 40's, I went to games with my dad in the 50's and no one was wearing suits!

We are (I think justifiably) proud of the Granddaddy of MLB stadiums,  Fenway Park.  Originally built in 1912, it is one of the best places in baseball to watch a game.  With the Green Monster (the tall left field wall), the manual scoreboard (1934), and the retired numbers of Williams, Yaz, Martinez , Doerr, Pesky and others on the right field wall, history dominates.  There is no dome or air conditioning here; night breezes off the harbor cool fans, or if blowing out, carry long balls over the wall and into adjacent streets.

Small, but a gem.

LL

fenway-park-landmark.jpg

Me and a buddy went to the old Yankee stadium it's last year to see the Rangers vs. Yankees. Like you see on TV the field was gorgeous. Other than the field it was a bit of a sh......rat hole.'

JHC

On 6/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Yep...many of us, down here, were scratching our heads over them "needing" to build a new baseball stadium for the Rangers.  The existing one, was not that old, and seemed just fine.  No, it did not have a retractable roof, nor any air-conditioning in the blistering hot summers we have.  But...we later found out that the Rangers ownership seemed to vaguely allude that a new stadium needed to be built, or the team "could" move.  So...the city of Arlington took the hint, and buckled.  The new stadium will seat less fans, is really butt-ugly, compared to the old stadium, but it is capable of being air-conditioned, and has some food courts added, I believe. Of course if you live in Arlington, you are paying higher taxes, for not only this new stadium, but the AT&T stadium that is in close proximity, where the Cowboys "try" to play.  You also have Six Flags (which isn't six flags anymore, since one of the six flags was a Confederate flag), there, and a few other things.  The parking costs, for AT&T stadium, are high, as are the ticket prices, and most of us are sure the new Ranger stadium will be just as bad.

The ironic part of this is, because of the virus, the brand new ugly Rangers ball park has sat as empty as a liberal politician's head, since the baseball "season" hasn't started...yet.   

W.K.  

Being in the neighborhood  I'm sure you know Kid, as beautiful as the the ballpark was, it was hotter than nine kinds of Hell in the summer with that humidity (yeah, I'm from farther west but it sucked). I get the retractibal roof /AC thing but it won't be the same. I've been to Orange Juice Field in  Houston, thought it was kinda dark and dingy in the stands in the summer. Guess everything is a trade off.

JHC

Archived