Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Alpo

Will paint damage shingles?

Recommended Posts

Suppose I have a building that needs re-roofed.

 

Further suppose that I have enough shingles to do job.

 

Howsomever, they are not all the same color. Got some green ones, some black ones, some gray ones, some red ones. If I use them to shingle my building it would look --- peculiar.

 

So if I was to, after the roof was shingled, get up above it somehow with a paint gun, and spray the shingles so that they were all the same color, could this in some way affect the shingles ability to do their job - shed water?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Will paint damage shingles"?

 

Well, normally if you dobb in on it might help eliminate the itch.

But you sure don't want to take it orally.   The doctor will prescribe

some meds for you.

:D

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Suppose I have a building that needs re-roofed.

 

Further suppose that I have enough shingles to do job.

 

Howsomever, they are not all the same color. Got some green ones, some black ones, some gray ones, some red ones. If I use them to shingle my building it would look --- peculiar."

 

 

"Hey, Widder. Which house is Alpo's? Never mind. I see it now"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your from northern Michigan, aint ya?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OSB stands for Outside Board and tarpaper makes great siding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

McDonald's painted the roof shingles on their buildings, several years ago.

Edited by Matchlock
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the paint dries, it shrinks. That might warp the shingles.

 

Duffield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green, grey, black, red. Frog in a blender!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

What kind of shingles?

3 tab asphalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

As the paint dries, it shrinks. That might warp the shingles.

 

Good point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Figure out how many of each you have and how many you need for the job.  

 

Then find a program you can use to make a pleasing pattern  from what you have.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paint wouldn't bond to the asphalt. It'd stay on for awhile and then just chip and fall off until it was gone. It might stick to the rock or whatever is on the surface, but again not for long.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen paint on shingles that was dripped on by sloppy painters and it was there for years. Probably oil based paint. Latex paint wouldn't hold up to the prolonged heat and sunlight. Oil based paint would work better and would hold up to the elements. Asphalt shingles would soak up a lot of paint.

There's a reason we don't see painted shingles, I'm guessing it's cost prohibitive. 

 

Some cheapskate should try this and let us all know how it works out. All of my buildings have metal roofs, I'm all about buy once cry once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I've seen paint on shingles that was dripped on by sloppy painters and it was there for years. Probably oil based paint. Latex paint wouldn't hold up to the prolonged heat and sunlight. Oil based paint would work better and would hold up to the elements. Asphalt shingles would soak up a lot of paint.

There's a reason we don't see painted shingles, I'm guessing it's cost prohibitive. 

 

Some cheapskate should try this and let us all know how it works out. All of my buildings have metal roofs, I'm all about buy once cry once.

I have latex paint on my garage roof that has been there better than 10 years. Interior to boot. Dropped a can and it shot straight up. came down mostly on my wifes' Impala. THAT got clean fast! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I have latex paint on my garage roof that has been there better than 10 years. Interior to boot. Dropped a can and it shot straight up. came down mostly on my wifes' Impala. THAT got clean fast! 

Now I'm going to have to paint a shingled roof just to see how it'll hold up, not.

Thinking about it, they do make that shiny paint for applying to flat roll roofing. It should work to make all the shingles one color. Although, it would still look like crap!

Shingles don't hold up out here as long as other parts of the country due to higher elevation, and 300 days of sunlight. They don't get all mildewed up either like humid rich areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Now I'm going to have to paint a shingled roof just to see how it'll hold up, not.

Thinking about it, they do make that shiny paint for applying to flat roll roofing. It should work to make all the shingles one color. Although, it would still look like crap!

Shingles don't hold up out here as long as other parts of the country due to higher elevation, and 300 days of sunlight. They don't get all mildewed up either like humid rich areas.

Shingles don't hold up out there because of the 364 days of 30+ mph winds you guys get. I went to school in Laramie and I swear there wasn't a day that wasn't windy my entire time there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flatwater Monte said:

Shingles don't hold up out there because of the 364 days of 30+ mph winds you guys get. I went to school in Laramie and I swear there wasn't a day that wasn't windy my entire time there! 

Yeah, that too. And, the baseball sized hail. Actually, Nebraska sucks and it's vacuum, not wind. :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:ph34r:  I prolonged the life of my asphalt 3-tab shingle roof by 'painting' it white with the reflective coating made especially for the task.  I wanted to keep the wind from lifting the edges of the shingles (the heat here vaporizes the adhesive the shingles come with in about 2 or 3 seasons) so I slopped it on REALLY THICKLY with the coarsest roller I could find.  Worked really well.  About 25 years ago, I gave it a second coat.  Starting on prep to give it a 3rd coat this month.  45 years and still no leaks......  Coating runs about $69/5 gallons.  You can pay more, but I don't see the need.  15 gallons does a moderately sloped peaked roof on a 24 x 60 ft mobile home.

Temperatures during application and curing can affect results.  Read the (very) fine print.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  I prolonged the life of my asphalt 3-tab shingle roof by 'painting' it white with the reflective coating made especially for the task.  I wanted to keep the wind from lifting the edges of the shingles (the heat here vaporizes the adhesive the shingles come with in about 2 or 3 seasons) so I slopped it on REALLY THICKLY with the coarsest roller I could find.  Worked really well.  About 25 years ago, I gave it a second coat.  Starting on prep to give it a 3rd coat this month.  45 years and still no leaks......  Coating runs about $69/5 gallons.  You can pay more, but I don't see the need.  15 gallons does a moderately sloped peaked roof on a 24 x 60 ft mobile home.

Temperatures during application and curing can affect results.  Read the (very) fine print.....

 

Wow, in Colorado, a roof that is 8 years old is considered aging.  We get a lot of hail and wind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Assassin said:

Now I'm going to have to paint a shingled roof just to see how it'll hold up, not.

Thinking about it, they do make that shiny paint for applying to flat roll roofing. It should work to make all the shingles one color. Although, it would still look like crap!

Shingles don't hold up out here as long as other parts of the country due to higher elevation, and 300 days of sunlight. They don't get all mildewed up either like humid rich areas.

I put a temp controlled power ventilator in my attic after my new roof went on. Keeps it pretty decent in the attic. Roof is holing up really well. going on 20 years and it looks brand new. Well, except for the paint spots over the garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.